2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:37
214270 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:24
Farnborough wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:10

Yeh....if they want various half bits of Mercedes scattered across multiple circuits :)
Haha,I hear you. I’m just not so onboard with fast-tracking Antonelli, that smells like something that could go spectacularly wrong. Set of familiar hands to steady the ship might be more prudent
Knowing Merc they will go for a known quantity. You can’t afford to put a bust in the second car. That has the potential to weaken them way too much. My guess is guys like Albon or sainz have a good chance of landing there. What is almost certain is there will be a downgrade from losing Hamilton.
That’s the thing, ALB is unremarkable with all due respect & I believe SAI has to gamble and go to Audi; he just has to. It’s the only place there’s genuine want for his services. Merc would be an uncomfortable fit given Antonelli’s looming presence.
Last edited by 214270 on 01 Feb 2024, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:31
cplchanb wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:19
okok guys lets hold our horses. first of all its not official so the reasons and actual decision is still not confirmed.
second of all they havent even signed a deal yet. its still under "advanced negotiations" so if anything this could be a bargaining chip move by ham or
a preemptive performance clause exit move. in anycase hopefully they can deliver a wdc capable car so at the worst case he can leave as an 8wdc.
No one in their right mind will support an outgoing driver in a wdc capable car. You can bet money Russell will be ahead of Lewis this year. Forget about an 8th title at Merc. It isn’t happening. They will keep some things away from Lewis so that he doesn’t take any inside knowledge with him to Ferrari. That will affect his performance for sure. The more I think about this the more obvious it will be disastrous for Lewis’s career.
they did it for alonso and hill.

DGP123
DGP123

If the car is a dog, then the atmosphere will stink, and division and phasing out will unfold. If the car is surprisingly competitive, then the team will be professional, and get behind Lewis. Simple. Employees are motivated by bonuses, and winning championships. I think most of that team know Lewis is their best bet.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DGP123 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:02
If the car is a dog, then the atmosphere will stink, and division and phasing out will unfold. If the car is surprisingly competitive, then the team will be professional, and get behind Lewis. Simple. Employees are motivated by bonuses, and winning championships. I think most of that team know Lewis is their best bet.
I don't think it's so simple. Today will have been quite the blow to the team's mood. Productivity will probably drop for a few days and more engineers may see Hamilton's bold decision as inspiration to seek other opportunities. It's a tricky time for Mercedes.

ismail1991
ismail1991

I think the reason he left Mercedes is the things happened last season. He was on podium 8 or 6 times and at most of which nobody from Mercedes was there. On the other hand when Russel is on the podium just 2 times, team was very happy. In my eyes Russel can never be a lead driver in a f1 team. He is at best in the level of Rosberg or Button. However unlike Rosberg and Button, he is very arrogant. Mercedes tried to show him as a future super star. While doing that, they broke the heart of the most important person in their team. The radio messages Russel make during races when he was against his team mate was too extreme and Mercedes never stopped that happening. Hamilton wanted Bottas to stay, on the other hand Toto thought himself know better and in the end toto and team couldn`t make their superstar satisfied. Same thing happened at Ferrari at 2006. Michael wanted Massa to stay, however Kimi was already signed; therefore Michael retired himself. If lewis had stayed at Mercedes, and this year again Mercedes is 1 seconds slower than Redbull, he wouldn`t have the energy to continue and retire. By moving to Ferrari, he makes himself at least to drive until 2026 with the new cars. As a hamilton and Mercedes fan, I am not very happy. However, I am putting the blame mostly on the Mercedes and will keep supporting Hamilton

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

OTOH, it will be a good opportunity to see who are the real Mercedes fans :mrgreen:

ismail1991
ismail1991

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:11
OTOH, it will be a good opportunity to see who are the real Mercedes fans :mrgreen:
I think there will be fan transfers. If Mercedes can bring a world champion, they will get some fans back. However the most fans will go with Hamilton. I like Mercedes a lot more than Ferrari. However for me Hamilton is more important

Redragon

Hamilton probably has done his decision after seeing numbers on the simulator. Also James Allison is in charge whom haven't been great on the past, so no surprise he wants to try something new. Even if he doesn't win his 8th at Ferrari would see and feel what is be part of Ferrari history and tifosi fans.

f1jcw
f1jcw

ismail1991 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:09
The radio messages Russel make during races when he was against his team mate was too extreme and Mercedes never stopped that happening.
Toto himself came on Russels radio once and told him to shut up and just drive.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

ALO to Merc? 😜
This has the potential of a seismic shift in the F1 landscape. I hope Merc has a plan. I need them in the fight the next 2 years as I believe it may well be epic with convergence looming

f1jcw
f1jcw

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:21
ALO to Merc? 😜
This has the potential of a seismic shift in the F1 landscape. I hope Merc has a plan. I need them in the fight the next 2 years as I believe it may well be epic with convergence looming
Alonso cost Merc hundreds of Millions, will they have forgotten that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:11
and Ineos/Wolff I would imagine.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Key factor behind Hamilton’s Mercedes F1 exit revealed

https://racingnews365.com/key-factor-be ... t=12513405
According to this piece, the departure of Loic Serra this summer to work on the 2025 Ferrari had an impact on LH's decision. It seems like Serra was at odds with Mike Elliot and the whole zero-pod concept and that LH shared similar ideas with him.

It doesn't just boil down to that, but I think it is a valid argument to bring.
Last edited by Bill_Kar on 01 Feb 2024, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:22
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:21
ALO to Merc? 😜
Alonso cost Merc hundreds of Millions, will they have forgotten that.
Alonso didn't cost them that money. Mclaren did...

mendis
mendis

Oh my god! If Lewis is going to Ferrari, what would happen to some Lewis fans that hated Ferrari out and out! :lol: