Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

organic wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:37
My view is that Lewis couldn't wait til after testing as the get-out clause probably has an expiry date. So needed to happen before 2024 season began
I doubt the exit clause has an expiry date this early. I think it was likely more to do with Ferrari having the back up
option of signing Sainz to a new deal. With a dash of "Now or Never".

organic

taperoo2k wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:14
organic wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:37
My view is that Lewis couldn't wait til after testing as the get-out clause probably has an expiry date. So needed to happen before 2024 season began
I doubt the exit clause has an expiry date this early. I think it was likely to do with Ferrari having the back up
option of signing Sainz to a new deal. With a dash of "Now or Never".
That makes more sense yes

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:11
If they delayed this any longer they run the risk of Sainz walking and not having a Hamilton deal to show for it.
I don't agree. Sainz has nowhere to walk. But then again, here I am applying reason and logic on Ferrari. Never worked before.

Cs98
Cs98

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:21
Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:11
If they delayed this any longer they run the risk of Sainz walking and not having a Hamilton deal to show for it.
I don't agree. Sainz has nowhere to walk. But then again, here I am applying reason and logic on Ferrari. Never worked before.
Yeah he does. If it's obvious he doesn't have a future with Ferrari he'd be a first option for several teams on the grid.

Redragon

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:59
Redragon wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 21:29
peewon wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 20:43

There is slim to no chance of Alonso to Mercedes. It took more than 13-15 years for Alonso to even drive a Mercedes powered car. The Mercedes management weren't too happy with their share of the $100 million fine in the spygate saga.
It has always been a sore spot for them. Unless something has drastically changed.
They cheated and got caught. They knew what would be the consequences, it is not Alonso fault. Brawn tried to sign Alonso in 2009 that he turned down and that car had a Mercedes engine
Alonso(and pdlr) was found with Ferrari technical info in his emails,with Ferrari tire pressurs and fuel stop laps. The car technical dossier never made it into McLaren because it was never meant for McLaren, it was meant for Stepney and Coughlan to take to Toyota or Honda.

McLaren didn't cheat, Alonso did, but McLaren paid the price. Get your facts correct.
"At the hearing on 26 July 2007, FIA found that Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes was in possession of confidential Ferrari information and is therefore in breach of the Code, but with no evidence that they had used the information no punishment was levied. However, the FIA reserved the right to reconvene on the matter if any such evidence subsequently came to light." From Wikipedia.

They did have the information but no evidence that they used that's why they were penalised. Get your facts right too.

Alonso probably should have been penilised too as PDLR

Anyway my point is Brawn try to sign Alonso in 2009 with a Mercedes engine so it is not really true that Mercedes have been boycoyting the signing of Alonso because they pay the price of the Spygate

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:32
Yeah he does. If it's obvious he doesn't have a future with Ferrari he'd be a first option for several teams on the grid.

Red Bull - Nope - to much history
Mercedes - Nope - would not trade their thought lineup
McLaren - Nope - Has their talent locked up.
Aston Stroll - not likely - Spain is to small of a market to support two drivers in the same team.
Alpine - perhaps - He's a better driver than they are a team. But that's a step back.
Williams - surely - But would he walk for a seat in a Williams?
Minardi - nope - it's about raising talent for RB.
Stakes - surely - But would he walk for a seat at the far end of the grid?
Haas - surely - But Sainz is not mad.

djos

There have been rumours of Carlos going to Audi for quite a while. He’s certainly a much better driver that their two current mid level pilots!
"In downforce we trust"

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Redragon wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:34
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Redragon wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 21:29

They cheated and got caught. They knew what would be the consequences, it is not Alonso fault. Brawn tried to sign Alonso in 2009 that he turned down and that car had a Mercedes engine
Alonso(and pdlr) was found with Ferrari technical info in his emails,with Ferrari tire pressurs and fuel stop laps. The car technical dossier never made it into McLaren because it was never meant for McLaren, it was meant for Stepney and Coughlan to take to Toyota or Honda.

McLaren didn't cheat, Alonso did, but McLaren paid the price. Get your facts correct.
"At the hearing on 26 July 2007, FIA found that Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes was in possession of confidential Ferrari information and is therefore in breach of the Code, but with no evidence that they had used the information no punishment was levied. However, the FIA reserved the right to reconvene on the matter if any such evidence subsequently came to light." From Wikipedia.

They did have the information but no evidence that they used that's why they were penalised. Get your facts right too.

Anyway my point is Brawn try to sign Alonso in 2009 with a Mercedes engine so it is not really true that Mercedes have been boycoyting the signing of Alonso because they pay the price of the Spygate
That information was the whistleblowing of Stepney on the illegal floor of the Ferrari in Australia, not the Ferrari Dossier. There was never any proof that any McLaren employee other than Coughlan, Alonso and Pdlr ever came into contact with any Ferrari information.

I don't remember Brawn trying to sign Alonso for 2009, but it is possible, but that Merc engine deal happened quite late.

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

djos wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:45
There have been rumours of Carlos going to Audi for quite a while. He’s certainly a much better driver that their two current mid level pilots!
Certainly he is. Sainz is a very good driver.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:50
djos wrote:
Certainly he is. Sainz is a very good driver.
Good, not very good, certainly not a top 5 driver on the current grid.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

djos wrote:
Bottas is better than Sainz, hands down.

Redragon

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:48
Redragon wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:34
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

That information was the whistleblowing of Stepney on the illegal floor of the Ferrari in Australia, not the Ferrari Dossier. There was never any proof that any McLaren employee other than Coughlan, Alonso and Pdlr ever came into contact with any Ferrari information.

I don't remember Brawn trying to sign Alonso for 2009, but it is possible, but that Merc engine deal happened quite late.
Nick Fry did say they try to sing him for 2009
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2277 ... 009-season

Tiny73
Tiny73

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:33
One interesting question the guys at P1 raised was the timing. Why now? Why not wait until at least after the tests?
I posted this on the Mercedes thread but it may bear repeating; Ferrari trade on the NYSE and this is price sensitive information, hence needs to be announced.

TMLM

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:42
Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:32

Red Bull - Nope - to much history
Mercedes - Nope - would not trade their thought lineup
McLaren - Nope - Has their talent locked up.
Aston Stroll - not likely - Spain is to small of a market to support two drivers in the same team.
Alpine - perhaps - He's a better driver than they are a team. But that's a step back.
Williams - surely - But would he walk for a seat in a Williams?
Minardi - nope - it's about raising talent for RB.
Stakes - surely - But would he walk for a seat at the far end of the grid?
Haas - surely - But Sainz is not mad.
Who do you think Mercedes even has as a replacement? Antonelli? Even jumping to F1 in 2025 is a long shot for him, nevermind joining Mercedes straight up. Sainz is up there with the best free agents along with Gasly, Albon is overrated. Don't think Mercedes/Toto would go for Alonso next to Russell but who knows.
Last edited by TMLM on 02 Feb 2024, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

Hamilton to Ferrari
Carlos to RBR
Ricciardo to Mercedes
Lawson to VCARB