2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Rewatching Lando's very mature Sky news interview in hindsight, i think he definitely knew...and was very comfortable with his re-sign decision.

stewie325
stewie325

Macca need to pounce and re-sign Piastri long-term for more money ASAP because Merc would be ignorant not to poach him. Definitely a prospective WDC for the 2026 regulations with the right car.

Tomsky
Tomsky

stewie325 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:58
Macca need to pounce and re-sign Piastri long-term for more money ASAP because Merc would be ignorant not to poach him. Definitely a prospective WDC for the 2026 regulations with the right car.
Mercedes has Kimi. If he does not fail the season in F2, he will play for Mercedes in 2026.

mwillems

stewie325 wrote:
Oscar has a deal until the end of 26 I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:05
stewie325 wrote:
Yeah they extended him 4 months ago for a further 3 years :mrgreen: another contract would be a bit of a kneejerk i think

stewie325
stewie325

organic wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:16
mwillems wrote:
stewie325 wrote:
Yeah they extended him 4 months ago for a further 3 years :mrgreen: another contract would be a bit of a kneejerk i think
Merc could buy him out of contract and give him a significant pay rise and still spend less than they would have on LH ? Macca could just bump his salary somewhat a gesture of trust.
All of today has seemed very knee jerk :D :wtf:

mwillems

stewie325 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 20:13
organic wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:16
mwillems wrote:

Merc could buy him out of contract and give him a significant pay rise and still spend less than they would have on LH ? Macca could just bump his salary somewhat a gesture of trust.
All of today has seemed very knee jerk :D :wtf:
Merc have to make an offer that McLaren want to accept. Having more years doesn't strengthen McLaren's hand. They have a valid contract and unless there is some kind of buy out clause, he's going nowhere. Unless the team choose to cash in.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Can’t believe how a rival driver potentially leaving a rival team to go to another rival team still has us McLaren fans discussing the potential idea of McLarens drivers leaving the team….

We should be sat back watching from afar with our popcorn in the knowledge Lando and Oscar have long term contracts in place.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

In any case, I suspect it is a leap that they will go for Oscar Piastri. Mercedes have a ton of drivers in their garage . Albon being one of them (Indirectly). You'd think Alonso might get one last shot at the big time too. No doubt Mark Webbers phone is already buckling under the strain he's putting it under to get the move for his other big client! And Sainz will be in the picture.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Feb 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 21:01
Can’t believe how a rival driver potentially leaving a rival team to go to another rival team still has us McLaren fans discussing the potential idea of McLarens drivers leaving the team….

We should be sat back watching from afar with our popcorn in the knowledge Lando and Oscar have long term contracts in place.
It's a bit far fetched. They will only leave the team if Zak thinks it makes commercial and racing sense, but that feels a fair distance away. If Merc bid £10m for him, would it make Mclaren blink? Unlikely.

Nothing to see here, our line-up is sorted and settled. I just hope our boy Sainz gets a seat. But Lawson will be fighting for any seat that is vacated.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Personally I'm glad Mclaren has our drivers bound with our team until 2026. For 2024 and 2025 we will have stability compared to what will happen with Ferrari and Mercedes who should have announced these changes at the end of 2024 instead of at the start. On another note I feel a little annoyed by how Lewis is ignoring the team that literally created his career and I was hoping that we would see him return at some point but that's just me.

BMMR61

All these rumours, talks of contracts and get out clauses - the gold standard of a secure contract is a signature on the line and a strong car forecast. Tick McLaren, upwardly mobile, for Lando it's the devil you know (actually better than that) in a team that's doing more than make the right noises. The car makes the noises and the personnel deliver calm and insightful comments that show all is well, for now at least. The only slightly negative in their future is the potential conflict when Oscar reaches peak performance level.

Talk of "poor old Sainz" may be premature. Sure it's better to cast him as a good number two, the reality is he is arguably the best number two on the grid (Oscar is more of the characteristics of a number one), else a good team leader at a midfield team. There are two good "number two driver" positions available in 2025 and number two positions are underestimated by fans, not by team principals.

All irrelevant to McLaren now they have their ducks in a row through ALL the checkboxes for 2024 - 2027. I see the upheaval at Mercedes as essentially negative for them right now. Where they had been gravitating towards Lewis's input direction, in 2024 they will be conflicted. Likewise, Ferrari will have destroyed the goodwill in the Sainz/Leclerc partnership for 2024 and both will be looking out for their own interests, not the team's. This could also be seen as a vote of no-confidence in Charles.

FWIW my predictions - McLaren 2nd in WCC 2024, Spanish driver to Mercedes in 2025.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 21:30
Personally I'm glad Mclaren has our drivers bound with our team until 2026. For 2024 and 2025 we will have stability compared to what will happen with Ferrari and Mercedes who should have announced these changes at the end of 2024 instead of at the start. On another note I feel a little annoyed by how Lewis is ignoring the team that literally created his career and I was hoping that we would see him return at some point but that's just me.
As a massive Lewis fan from his McLaren days, 2025 is going to be a painful year for me. On the one hand, I desperately want him to win this 8th (officially) drivers' title...but not in a Red car ever.

I too was dreaming that he would come back to end his career at McLaren a few years ago esp. after ALO left, but with our current lineup, I think that would be a backward step.

Here's hoping for many years of Papaya domination!

mwillems

I mean it's fun to watch and everything, but it's RB that we need to beat 🤣

-Bandit

MrGapes

well well well.. we Mclaren fans can finally rest easy and watch silly season from the side lines