2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wiktor977
wiktor977

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Jambier wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:23
So.
Alonso will replace Lewis?
Tbh this is the only correct option for Mercedes, and Toto knows it.

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

wiktor977 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:22

Tbh this is the only correct option for Mercedes, and Toto knows it.
Mercedes marketing department knows it too. Racing is about shifting cars, and only Alonso has enough star quality to make up for Hamilton departing.

djones
djones

This team will be on a spiral down now. I’d be willing to bet in the coming season there is news of multiple good people following Lewis.

Also, there are people in the team literally with the same tattoo as him, that’s how committed they are. No way will people like that be staying.

They will sign some average driver for 2025. Albon or something like that.

Wil992
Wil992

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:17
But the more boring and realistic alternative is that Hamiltons exit clause expired on the first of February. And he sent in the termination papers yesterday.
I’ve read a few people saying similar but I don’t think that’s right. Isn’t Ham in a 2yr (or 1+1 whatever) that has only just started weeks ago? A release clause that expires a few weeks into a 2 year deal, before the car has even been driven, isn’t really a release clause at all.

Macklaren
Macklaren

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 21:26
I wonder what Lewis' release clause was in his contract he used.

It all doesnt add up at this moment, the season hasnt even started. Can it have been something about the cars performance? Given he has only had a couple days in the simulator?

I think something is developing deeper within the team tbh.
I think its obvious esp. after that grim seat fitting picture that was released (if that was indeed the W15)...he has been asking for very specific changes to be the made with the car (esp. around driver position) and looks like they did not give him what he wanted. He's probably tired of the the designers not listening to him and decided to leave. Probably aided by the multiple occasions last year that he complained that the team did not support him on the podium etc...

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Wil992 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:58
UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:17
But the more boring and realistic alternative is that Hamiltons exit clause expired on the first of February. And he sent in the termination papers yesterday.
I’ve read a few people saying similar but I don’t think that’s right. Isn’t Ham in a 2yr (or 1+1 whatever) that has only just started weeks ago? A release clause that expires a few weeks into a 2 year deal, before the car has even been driven, isn’t really a release clause at all.
Seems reasonable to me what you say, but surely there must be a reason that it was announced that early, so what else could it be?

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

All I'm thinking is that Mercedes will probably cut off LH as much as they can, not in terms of how they are treating him on track, but in terms of development and the engineering side. After all, he is leaving to a rival. Is Russell ready or capable of providing valuable intel on the driver's side regarding technical progress?

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Wil992 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:58

Then something has been happening behind the scenes. I can't see Sainz playing hardball. Ferrari simply has more good options than he has.

Wil992
Wil992

Bill_Kar wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:04
Seems reasonable to me what you say, but surely there must be a reason that it was announced that early, so what else could it be?
I’d say it’s not any single thing. Ham has said many times he’d like to drive for Ferrari, I’d guess they’ve had quiet chats for many years, most drivers/teams probably do. Perhaps they’ve persuaded him to talk more seriously because if not now, then when? Add in a couple of years of under performing cars, with probably quite a lot of stress at the team as a result, throw in a 1+1 deal when he wanted more, maybe a pinch of sim time recently that made ham think merc haven’t taken a massive leap forward and that was the last straw? Obviously all speculation.
Once the deal is agreed there’d be no chance of keeping under wraps, so just announce it.

Tiny73
Tiny73

AMG.Tzan wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:54

I find it pretty hard to explain any other reason to announce such a huge move so early in the year
Ferrari are a publicly listed company on the NYSE, this is price sensitive information so has to be announced accordingly.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Tiny73 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:19
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I find it pretty hard to explain any other reason to announce such a huge move so early in the year
Ferrari are a publicly listed company on the NYSE, this is price sensitive information so has to be announced accordingly.
I think that this topic is deeper than we think. I am not talking about Ferrari stock. For me this early news was influenced by F1 (Liberty Media), just yesterday everyone was talking about Andretti and how bad of a decision it was not to include 11th team.
Today no one wants to talk about that no more.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

wiktor977 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:40
Tiny73 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:19
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I think that this topic is deeper than we think. I am not talking about Ferrari stock. For me this early news was influenced by F1 (Liberty Media), just yesterday everyone was talking about Andretti and how bad of a decision it was not to include 11th team.
Today no one wants to talk about that no more.
I think it's the other way around actually. The Hamilton news was regular schedule, but FOM put out the Andretti news just before so that it would be overshadowed by the Hamilton news and swiftly forgotten. It has more or less succeeded.

CHT
CHT

Just a few months ago, LH was busy denying having contacts with RBR and Ferrari, and pledging his commitment to Merc AMG, visiting factory and trying to motivate the engineers at the factory etc. If this news about moving to Ferrari is true, it will be a big shock and loss to Toto and the other shareholders and Merc Fans for sure.

The biggest gainer will perhaps be George Russell and 2024 will be a important year for him to establish himself as No.1 driver.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 22:32
Also, I was wondering what would be the most probable time of announcing the 2025 seat. I reckon somewhere around summer break, gives time to think and negotiate as they have a lot of options. I would not expect a decision early on.
I think they'll try to wrap it up as soon as possible to maintain stability / reduce media speculation