Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Tiny73 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:21

I posted this on the Mercedes thread but it may bear repeating; Ferrari trade on the NYSE and this is price sensitive information, hence needs to be announced.
Well, why sign now then?

djos

Zynerji wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 01:18
Hamilton to Ferrari
Carlos to RBR
Ricciardo to Mercedes
Lawson to VCARB
I doubt Daniel will ever leave the red bull team again. Carlos will go to Audi.
"In downforce we trust"

RonMexico
RonMexico

djos wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 01:32
Zynerji wrote:
Hamilton to Ferrari
Carlos to RBR
Ricciardo to Mercedes
Lawson to VCARB
Soon to be Audi have the perfect crash adverse driver already in the team and a cheap teammate. They have no incentive to spend money on drivers until 2026

djos

RonMexico wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 01:54
djos wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 01:32
Zynerji wrote:
Hamilton to Ferrari
Carlos to RBR
Ricciardo to Mercedes
Lawson to VCARB
Soon to be Audi have the perfect crash adverse driver already in the team and a cheap teammate. They have no incentive to spend money on drivers until 2026
Audi need a decent driver to help develop the chassis, their current drivers are too mid - they have been going backwards with Bottas as the senior driver.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If Ricciardo's goal is to have the RB seat, and RB don't give it to him then I easily see him attempting to phone Mercedes
A lion must kill its prey.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 02:10
If Ricciardo's goal is to have the RB seat, and RB don't give it to him then I easily see him attempting to phone Mercedes
I’d be shocked if Daniel doesn’t have a verbal agreement that he gets the second RBR seat if Checo flames out again or at the end of 24.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

Bottas' Instagram story places him at Brackley today

Maybe Bottas returns to Merc as a steadying force for this rocking ship. And Carlos goes to Audi earlier than anticipated? Joining for 2025 will allow Sainz to have input on the chassis for 2026 and beyond and become settled in the team

FW17

denyall

organic wrote:Bottas' Instagram story places him at Brackley today

Maybe Bottas returns to Merc as a steadying force for this rocking ship. And Carlos goes to Audi earlier than anticipated? Joining for 2025 will allow Sainz to have input on the chassis for 2026 and beyond and become settled in the team
Still a year left to find a new driver.

organic

2025 grid prediction

RB: Verstappen/Ricciardo
Merc: Russell/Albon
Ferrari: Hamilton/Leclerc
McLaren: Norris/Piastri
AMR: Alonso/Stroll
Alpine: Gasly/Ocon
Williams: Antonelli/Sargeant
VCARB: Tsunoda/Lawson
Sauber: Sainz/Bottas
Haas: Bearman/Zhou

zeph
zeph

HFS...did not see this coming. This leaves Mercedes without a champion and that is a blow for a team of that magnitude. I'd pick up Alonso for the time being, but there really is no good replacement available.

Cs98
Cs98

UlleGulle wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 23:42
Red Bull - Nope - to much history
Mercedes - Nope - would not trade their thought lineup
McLaren - Nope - Has their talent locked up.
Aston Stroll - not likely - Spain is to small of a market to support two drivers in the same team.
Alpine - perhaps - He's a better driver than they are a team. But that's a step back.
Williams - surely - But would he walk for a seat in a Williams?
Minardi - nope - it's about raising talent for RB.
Stakes - surely - But would he walk for a seat at the far end of the grid?
Haas - surely - But Sainz is not mad.
Several of these I disagree with. Stake would be a one year thing before Audi enters. AMR could certainly be an option, the whole "market size" is not nearly as relevant as you think, quality of driver is much more importnt. I wouldn't rule out RBR completely. Wiliams is on the rise. Alpine, Merc (though this wasn't an option in the hypothetical).

Your take is based on the idea that Sainz wouldn't take a step down from Ferrari, but I believe he would if it meant getting a higher status in a team with some potential upside. AMR, Williams, Audi, several teams fit that description.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

SuperCNJ wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 03:12
I'm keen to see how Lewis adapts to the Ferrari given that it's been designed around Charles who we know likes a car with a strong front end whereas Lewis is the polar opposite and prefers a strong rear end. How will he convince the team to change the car to his needs rather than Charles's? I personally think Lewis will find it challenging at Ferrari for this reason as Charles is arguably a stronger driver than George, yet George has been comparable to Lewis in a team that has Lewis's fingerprints all over it and a car Lewis is more familiar with (albeit a pretty poor one). But it's definitely a gutsy move by Lewis, if anything, it shows the confidence he still has in his ability even when compared to some of the very best of the younger generation of drivers.
Russell barely saw the light last season compared to Lewis...

Tiny73
Tiny73

UlleGulle wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 01:31
Tiny73 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 00:21

I posted this on the Mercedes thread but it may bear repeating; Ferrari trade on the NYSE and this is price sensitive information, hence needs to be announced.
Well, why sign now then?
That I don’t know, just stating why once signed it would need to be announced :)

organic

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 09:27
SuperCNJ wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 03:12
I'm keen to see how Lewis adapts to the Ferrari given that it's been designed around Charles who we know likes a car with a strong front end whereas Lewis is the polar opposite and prefers a strong rear end. How will he convince the team to change the car to his needs rather than Charles's? I personally think Lewis will find it challenging at Ferrari for this reason as Charles is arguably a stronger driver than George, yet George has been comparable to Lewis in a team that has Lewis's fingerprints all over it and a car Lewis is more familiar with (albeit a pretty poor one). But it's definitely a gutsy move by Lewis, if anything, it shows the confidence he still has in his ability even when compared to some of the very best of the younger generation of drivers.
Russell barely saw the light last season compared to Lewis...
Excluding races where one of the drivers had crash damage or their pace was significantly slowed by being stuck in traffic (eg starting 20th etc) Russell's race and quali pace comes out essentially level with Hamilton. Lewis, like Russell, was very inconsistent with the W14. Sometimes one was quicker than the other by substantial and difficult to explain margins