2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
maygun
maygun

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Ocon, Gasly, Sainz, and Albon are just mid-drivers with no surprise element. If they go to one of them, that means Merc would be a mid-team for years to come.

I bet Toto already has someone in his mind as he probably thought about this scenario when there were Lewis's retirement rumors last year.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Could Rosberg come back? Imho he’s certainly quick enough. Maybe not the most global brand ambassador but certainly fits Merc pretty well

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 05:40
Indeed. Toto was not even in Brackley for the meeting about Lewis leaving. Apparently he attended virtually from spain or italy (I heard Milan).
Wow, couldn't even be bothered to fly in to be there in person... :roll:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I might be too pessimistic but I don't think Russell can be the "technical" leader of the team. And I think his weird inputs which led to an evolution of the W13 with the W14 rather than a new car are a part of why Hamilton is leaving indirectly.

For this season, I think Lewis wouldn't have taken this decision if the car was a world beater. So favoring Russell for P6 isn't an issue. I just think Lewis would like a last win with the team. If you think about it last win was Jeddah 2021..

I can see Mercedes fall back in the pecking order (P4/P5). They lost engineers. At the operational level they're clearly subpar (pit stop, strategy). Know they're betting on Russell but I don't think Russell will ever become Max Verstappen really. So, it's a big blow. The momentum is clearly more at McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull and even Alpine than at Mercedes

You cannot underestime the quality/attraction of Lewis. Look at where McLaren fall when he leaved them
Last edited by Spoutnik on 02 Feb 2024, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

All these stories about Toto not liking Alonso or that the team is still hurting from 2007 are nonsense, teams are too professional to hold grudges for so long and, given the chance, wounds can heal. The strongest option available to Merc is undoubtedly Alonso.

However, I think what will stop it happening this time around is Alonso himself and not Mercedes, ironically.
Last edited by KimiRai on 02 Feb 2024, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

GCXX
GCXX

Fer.Fan wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 07:03
Hammerfist wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 06:49

The ideal driver for them just signed a multi year at Mclaren. I wonder if Lando is kicking himself right about now.
Poor Lando, if he knew about LH move to Ferrari, he would never have signed new deal for Mclaren. Mcklaren must have known about LH deal in advance, thats why they locked Norris. #-o #-o #-o
Why? Mclaren seems to be the second fastest car in the upcoming season + they signed key engineers like Rob Marshall and David Sanchez while Mercedes had two bad seasons in a row.

DGP123
DGP123

Completely agree. Some people still regard Merc as front runners with an aura, Those days are gone. Hamilton’s leaving, the brain drain has occurred, and now Merc face the possibility of the doldrums with George, who is not anywhere near world championship material.

Lando annoyed at re-signing for McLaren and missing out on Lewis’ seat. 😂 You must be joking. McLaren are on an upward trajectory, recruited well, and will go into this season as RB’s most likely closest rivals.

BMMR61

GCXX wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 09:56
Fer.Fan wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 07:03
Hammerfist wrote:

The ideal driver for them just signed a multi year at Mclaren. I wonder if Lando is kicking himself right about now.
Poor Lando, if he knew about LH move to Ferrari, he would never have signed new deal for Mclaren. Mcklaren must have known about LH deal in advance, thats why they locked Norris. #-o #-o #-o
Why? Mclaren seems to be the second fastest car in the upcoming season + they signed key engineers like Rob Marshall and David Sanchez while Mercedes had two bad seasons in a row.
Totally. It's that sort of air of superiority misplaced that leads to the demise of great teams. Think Ron Dennis, but in this case, some fans. The assumption that the good old days of 2014-20 are going to come back is not sound reasoning. McLaren now look odds-on, maybe with Ferrari to be RedBull's closest rival. Suddenly Mercedes' wardrobe is looking a little threadbare, I say with no arrogance or even pleasure. The market doesn't look exciting for such a team but there's some good pickings for the midfield teams. One exception would be Alonso because there's always excitement where Nando goes.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Hammerfist wrote:
With Wolff being there I just don't see a way in for Alonso. He really despises Fernando and has made his feelings known on multiple occasions. Vettel has been out of the sport and was past his prime anyway, so I doubt he is even on the radar. The ideal driver for them just signed a multi year at Mclaren. I wonder if Lando is kicking himself right about now.
What? Sorry but this must be the worst opinion I have seen in a long time. First of all Toto is a huge commpetitor and bussines man, he will do anything to win again. Also when Alonso was vocal about Toto or even Mercedes? He was vocal about Hamilton before that is for sure but Lewis is leaving Mercedes so why would Toto even care at this point.

There is no other driver on the market with talent, experience, leadership and marketing abilities like Alonso.

chrisc90

I don’t think there is realistically anyone who could take the seat and have a strong lead - other than the experience of Alonso.

There’s sainz and Perez out of a seat in 2025 so that’s 2 possibilities.

Personally, I don’t think Lando will be kicking himself (same as Oscar). They in a strong upwards team and both have been poached by RB who made offers but never worked out.

I really don’t see George as someone who is going to push for WDC, he just doesn’t seem cut out for it. And his radios and experience probably haven’t got him to where he needs to be to be able to lead going forwards.

Still looking forward to hearing the reasons why Lewis left. Especially given he had so many demands of the new car direction and what he wanted. To leave without even driving that car is a very odd one.

DGP123
DGP123

Alonso won’t touch the Mercedes next year, if the W15 is a dog

Vanja #66

Another driver is the least of this team's problem, they need fresh leadership with fresh energy. An era is officially over, leadership needs to change otherwise the team will feel the troubles of McLaren when Dennis refused to budge after Lewis left. Reminder - it took them 9 years and two hothead WDC contenders to clash so they could win again and are still waiting for another win on merit.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

DGP123 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 11:42
Alonso won’t touch the Mercedes next year, if the W15 is a dog
Of course. It's difficult for a driver like him to join given Hamilton left. It's like when Vettel leaved RB, he was replaced by Kvvyat because everyone knew the 2015 wasn't a rocket

chrisc90

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 11:51
Another driver is the least of this team's problem, they need fresh leadership with fresh energy. An era is officially over, leadership needs to change otherwise the team will feel the troubles of McLaren when Dennis refused to budge after Lewis left. Reminder - it took them 9 years and two hothead WDC contenders to clash so they could win again and are still waiting for another win on merit.
I agree to be honest. The cracks started to appear in 2021 and they got larger over the last 2 years. High profile staff leaving, stupid radio messages from drivers and staff, and having 2 years of a car that’s competing at midfield level. What the W15 brings after they owned their problems is yet to be seen.
I really do think toto will look to step down or sell up in the next year or 2.

mendis
mendis

It appears as if W15 is not a RB19 copy like Lewis was asking the team to develop, which potentially has influenced him to lose faith and probably has the same forwarded situated seating position. Such a scenario is understandable, but if neither of it is true and the feeling in the Simulator didn't inspire confidence, despite having taken the direction he wanted, then Mercedes would be in soup as the driver for whom they developed the car, wouldn't be continuing to develop it in 2024 due him being kept away.