2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

CHT wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 01:42
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 17:43
CHT wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:55
Perhaps my speculation that Merc selling the team may become a reality soon
Merc is only a part-owner. They can sell their stake, but it's only 33% iirc.
Merc selling its stake in Merc AMG will be significant as being a works team always has advantage
Considering they put almost nothing in the team as investment and actually get back a decent chunk from the profits in the current cost cap era, there is zero benefit of pulling out. They are getting billions worth of visibility by virtue of running a team in F1. In the past they paid truck load money to McLaren and free engines to get that sort of visibility. Not winning titles or races is not going to do any harm to the brand if they remain in podium hunt regularly. It's a dream situation for any business. Other brands are paying hundreds of millions for their brand to be slapped on the F1 cars across teams. There's only advantage for Mercedes to just keep their stake in the team.

organic

I don't see only advantage. Most of the time they've been in F1, or frankly other motorsports, they are successful. I'm not sure how much benefit to the brand they get by simply being in formula 1: at what point does it hurt the esteemed brand image to be associated with mediocrity? It wouldn't be very difficult for the Merc team to become team INEOS for instance. And the option for Merc to re-enter down the line when they can bring some strong competitive advantage like they did with 2014 would likely remain on the table with the brackley team - they can even stay as engine manufacturer in the meantime quite easily given HPP's separation

I'm not saying that it's a net negative for mercedes at the minute, nor suggesting it's likely for Merc to withdraw; I can just see some drawbacks and a potential argument could be made.

That said, RB have laid the blueprint with 2014-2022 in how to rebuild and fight back to the front and it shows Merc can achieve the same even after losing their talismanic driver (vettel/ham) to a rival.

Having Antonelli in the F1 team early on would be an exciting prospect

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 08:16
I don't see only advantage. Most of the time they've been in F1, or frankly other motorsports, they are successful. I'm not sure how much benefit to the brand they get by simply being in formula 1: at what point does it hurt the esteemed brand image to be associated with mediocrity? It wouldn't be very difficult for the Merc team to become team INEOS for instance. And the option for Merc to re-enter down the line when they can bring some strong competitive advantage like they did with 2014 would likely remain on the table with the brackley team - they can even stay as engine manufacturer in the meantime quite easily given HPP's separation

I'm not saying that it's a net negative for mercedes at the minute, nor suggesting it's likely for Merc to withdraw; I can just see some drawbacks and a potential argument could be made.

That said, RB have laid the blueprint with 2014-2022 in how to rebuild and fight back to the front and it shows Merc can achieve the same even after losing their talismanic driver (vettel/ham) to a rival.

Having Antonelli in the F1 team early on would be an exciting prospect
"at what point does it hurt the esteemed brand image to be associated with mediocrity?"

No more than it has hurt McLaren and Ferrari... because being in F1 and finishing high up albeit not winning is never associated with engineering mediocrity. Ferrari just had their best earnings report maybe ever, they haven't won for 15 years and were pretty awful only 4 years ago. These doomsday narratives are over the top and myopic. Merc still has more relevant championship pedigree than basically any team except RB. The organisation knows how to build winning cars, losing some people doesn't change that, just look at RB who are also losing people regularly but still winning.

ME4ME

organic wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 08:16
I'm not sure how much benefit to the brand they get by simply being in formula 1: at what point does it hurt the esteemed brand image to be associated with mediocrity?
Mercedes still finished strongly in the WCC both in 22 and 23. Toto was the main catalyst in the team being perceived as utterly mediocre. He could've played that more elegantly, admitting defeat and hammer on still being near the top in Formula 1.

I think what you wrote applies to a lesser extent to Mercedes and to a greater extent to Audi for example. It's the fundamental principal that not everybody can win that puts a glass sealing on the number of big brands that can be in Formula 1.

zeroday

Cs98 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 09:51
..just look at RB who are also losing people regularly but still winning.
If they ever lose Newey, then that becomes very debatable.

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

f1jcw wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 04:25
Hey mods, lot of speculation and --- throwing in this thread.
This is nothing to do with the team.
It's crazy.

Hamilton goes and sudden excuse to kak on this team again. Staff exodus. Merc selling. Allison leaving. Merc selling merc amg :lol:
Meanwhile, Hamilton and Ferrari is all goed.
I see complications for both of them.
I think Merc can get antonelli in a car for 2025, and have him sharp for 2026.
That is a long terms plan with strategic long term value.
Hamilton would be 41 and at the end phase.

Cs98
Cs98

zeroday wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 12:45
Cs98 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 09:51
..just look at RB who are also losing people regularly but still winning.
If they ever lose Newey, then that becomes very debatable.
Considering Newey has worked on and off with the team since the mid 2010s, and is rumoured to be working away from F1 as we speak, I don't think it's particularly debatable. Besides, Merc still have Allison at the top, he's no slouch.

The importance of these central figures is often overstated. Far more important is how your organisation is set up from top to bottom, utilising all of your 400 or whatever engineers well, having the right infrastructure etc, rather than just a few central "aero geniuses".

hollus

OK, folks.

Until there are rumors of Newey going to Mercedes, it is off topic in this particular team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

Mosin123
Mosin123

hollus wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 14:38
OK, folks.

Until there are rumors of Newey going to Mercedes, it is off topic in this particular team thread.
if people are talking about it, its a rumor....... :D

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

hollus wrote:
OK, folks.

Are there rumours of Merc selling, Allison leaving, toto being Satan, mass exodus of staff?

organic

ThijsMuis wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:06
hollus wrote:
OK, folks.

Are there rumours of Merc selling, Allison leaving, toto being Satan, mass exodus of staff?
I mean Allison attempted poaching was said by FIA accredited FOM employee Lawrence Barretto on FOM-run F1 Nation Pod, so in that one yes. Rest aren't really rumours but they are at the very least mercedes related. Vague rumour of Adrian Newey (RB employee) moving to Ferrari which was being discussed is not relevant to Merc. That's why this was referenced!
Last edited by organic on 04 Feb 2024, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think people should stop referencing the "Merc selling" as if it's a new thing. They only own 33% of the team. They already sold 2/3rds of it. Whatever happens next would change very little.

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:16
I think people should stop referencing the "Merc selling" as if it's a new thing. They only own 33% of the team. They already sold 2/3rds of it. Whatever happens next would change very little.
Aside from branding and engines and hypercar projects and production links and all the rest, yes very very little changes :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ThijsMuis wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 19:10
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:16
Aside from branding and engines and hypercar projects and production links and all the rest, yes very very little changes :lol:
Mercedes will always be an engine supplier. That was always their core effort. It’s the team ownership which were are discussing.

The Hypercar is a production vehicle which has been completed and would only be supported on a contractual basis by Brackley and Brixworth partners even if Mercedes don’t own the team.

If they chose to sell their 33% share, which I don’t believe they will, they would still have sponsorship via the engine and the team name might become more of an abomination like Visa Cash App

chrisc90

Just a side thought....is there any sponsors that Lewis might take with him or stop sponsoring Mercedes because Lewis isnt there?