2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Shakeman wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 22:13
Yes, and apparently Newey’s wife or daughter liked a tweet saying the same thing this week.

At the very least having Hamilton on board is a draw for other engineers. Football clubs attract great players by having great managers and vice versa. A marquee signing can bring other marquee signings.

Newey plus Hamilton = a record 8th and bringing Ferrari back to the front. It’s a story that might just resonate with Newey a swan song for two legends...
My understanding is Newey's wife likes any mentions of her husband on social media so I wouldn't give too much credit to that.

Obviously Hamilton reduces the risk that Newey could take quite dramatically but I honestly don't see that happening, I'm sure they are trying but still.

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

I don't know much about media dynamics but somehow If Leclerc steps a bit out of the Ferrari spotlight I can imagine him actually enjoying it, and focusing more on driving. Second thing, when Vasseur joined as TP I thought he wasn't good enough for the job. I couldn't have been more wrong. He's slowly shaping Ferrari to become THE top team again. And now he has made this master play by signing Hamilton.

bluechris

SSScoffee wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 22:46
I don't know much about media dynamics but somehow If Leclerc steps a bit out of the Ferrari spotlight I can imagine him actually enjoying it, and focusing more on driving. Second thing, when Vasseur joined as TP I thought he wasn't good enough for the job. I couldn't have been more wrong. He's slowly shaping Ferrari to become THE top team again. And now he has made this master play by signing Hamilton.
I have the same thoughts really.
As for Newey to Ferrari, to me Ferrari can be on top the way it is but with minimizing the mistakes and trust the correct people. Of course it would be epic to get Newey.

mendis
mendis

Shakeman wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 22:13
Spoutnik wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 21:47
deadhead wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 21:40

I think Ferrari approached him with the same "whatever you want" offer as did Hamilton and he still didn't want to come. Some say it's because he didn't want to come alone.. who knows.

Are you saying that since Hamilton is at Ferrari he will change his mind?
He said he regretted to never work for Hamilton/Alonso, and also Ferrari. Considering Newey age, and Hamilton age, it's now or never...
Vasseur is a killer way more than he looks
Yes, and apparently Newey’s wife or daughter liked a tweet saying the same thing this week.

At the very least having Hamilton on board is a draw for other engineers. Football clubs attract great players by having great managers and vice versa. A marquee signing can bring other marquee signings.

Newey plus Hamilton = a record 8th and bringing Ferrari back to the front. It’s a story that might just resonate with Newey a swan song for two legends...
Newey hasn't won a title in his his first year in any team. It takes time to build tools, personnel, culture of his liking and then comes results. He has worked all his F1 life in UK and it would be a major cultural change to go to Italy and work with people who come from very different background.

It wasn't easy for a suave man manager like Brawn to produce success in an instant at Maranello and it wasn't easy either with Japanese at Honda and then at Brackley for Mercedes.

It would take good few years for Newey to build the atmosphere where he can then build winning cars. Lewis is 39 now and even if Newey miraculously starts at Maranello in 2025 by breaking his contract with Red Bull, it might probably take atleast 3 years to produce a winning car. Lewis would be 43 or 44. Will he hang in there that long, will he be quick enough to beat Charles getting into 30 and if Red Bull doesn't decline and has a competitive machine, will he be able to beat Max who would also be in his prime. Too many question marks even with Newey joining Ferrari. On top of all of that, it's Ferrari! Will they retain Fred for so long if they don't win? Will the Media wait that long for Newey to succeed?

Even without Newey, Ferrari has the opportunity of 2026 in front of them and if they come out with a winner, it would be a great intra team battle. Both drivers like a good pointy car and a bit of oversteer. With his unquestionable single lap speed, Charles would more often than not start from the front. So it would be fun to see if Lewis can overtake him or Charles manage to keep him behind and benefit from priority strategy. It would definitely be fun, but can they win a title, who knows.

I love Ferrari (MSC Ferrari) and I hope they win a WCC again. [-o<

Shakeman

mendis wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 11:06

Newey hasn't won a title in his his first year in any team. It takes time to build tools, personnel, culture of his liking and then comes results. He has worked all his F1 life in UK and it would be a major cultural change to go to Italy and work with people who come from very different background.

It wasn't easy for a suave man manager like Brawn to produce success in an instant at Maranello and it wasn't easy either with Japanese at Honda and then at Brackley for Mercedes.

It would take good few years for Newey to build the atmosphere where he can then build winning cars. Lewis is 39 now and even if Newey miraculously starts at Maranello in 2025 by breaking his contract with Red Bull, it might probably take atleast 3 years to produce a winning car. Lewis would be 43 or 44. Will he hang in there that long, will he be quick enough to beat Charles getting into 30 and if Red Bull doesn't decline and has a competitive machine, will he be able to beat Max who would also be in his prime. Too many question marks even with Newey joining Ferrari. On top of all of that, it's Ferrari! Will they retain Fred for so long if they don't win? Will the Media wait that long for Newey to succeed?

Even without Newey, Ferrari has the opportunity of 2026 in front of them and if they come out with a winner, it would be a great intra team battle. Both drivers like a good pointy car and a bit of oversteer. With his unquestionable single lap speed, Charles would more often than not start from the front. So it would be fun to see if Lewis can overtake him or Charles manage to keep him behind and benefit from priority strategy. It would definitely be fun, but can they win a title, who knows.

I love Ferrari (MSC Ferrari) and I hope they win a WCC again. [-o<
[/quote]

I don't buy any of this.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who has watched recent F1 that Red Bull is a step ahead of everyone else while there is a keen battle for 2nd or 3rd among the rest of the pack depending on how far off the pace Perez is. Newey knows of a key trick or a key optimisation that the rest of the field don't fully understand or appreciate. There is an aha moment for every team on the grid.

I simply do not believe it would take 3 years for Newey to teach Ferrari's or any other team's competent designers what the 'trick' or optimisation is. If Newey speaks you listen.

Lewis' age is also another red herring, I'm middle aged and I have more get up and go, far more knowledge and want to learn more than the so called next generation coming through. As long as Lewis stays motivated then he's going to be performing at WDC level that you can be certain of.

I don't want to work with idiots at this time in my life and I'm not for one moment calling the Merc team idiots but knowledge and experience gives you an incite that you wouldn't have as a younger person. It might actually be that Lewis is comparing the Merc of today with the Merc of his 6 WDCs with them and has come to the conclusion they're just not at the same level as they were back then and not going to be where they need to be anytime soon so it's time to move on. Simple as that.

I've never cheered for Ferrari in my entire F1 following lifetime, they were always the enemy. Come 2025 it's going to feel very strange...

Rikhart
Rikhart

Major mistake by Ferrari imho. They should be courting the Norris, Piastris, Verstappens, not a driver who is frankly way past his prime, who goes into the team to retire with even more millions.

DGP123
DGP123

Rikhart wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 13:19
Major mistake by Ferrari imho. They should be courting the Norris, Piastris, Verstappens, not a driver who is frankly way past his prime, who goes into the team to retire with even more millions.
A driver who completely bent over Russell last year, and was clearly the best of the rest behind RB? A driver who is clearly a major upgrade on Sainz too.

Get Verstappen 😂 my god. Give your head a wobble.
Norris just signed long term too 😂

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:46
When switching from McLaren to Merc in 2013, Lewis was informed on the state of affairs regarding 2014 PU, could the same thing be the reason for 2026?

This is completely wild already :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve just seen this post and seems like I’m not the only one who immediately thought of that. :lol:

Besides the other positives Lewis would bring to the team I really hope a dominant PU 2026 in the pipeline to be his major motivation to go to Ferrari. [-o<

Sevach
Sevach

Rikhart wrote:
It's not a mistake because Ferrari still has Charles locked up, if Lewis indeed is getting slower, Charles is there to "banzai" the car into the front row.
Lewis brings a wealth of championship experience with different cars.

And his age difference(and track record) will probably lead to a less hostile intra team battle than Norris and Leclerc i think.

That one would end up as a desperate battle for supremacy.

Shakeman

LM10 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 13:35
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:46
When switching from McLaren to Merc in 2013, Lewis was informed on the state of affairs regarding 2014 PU, could the same thing be the reason for 2026?

This is completely wild already :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve just seen this post and seems like I’m not the only one who immediately thought of that. :lol:

Besides the other positives Lewis would bring to the team I really hope a dominant PU 2026 in the pipeline to be his major motivation to go to Ferrari. [-o<
This move gives me deja vu for the same reason.

It’s an absolute given that Hamilton’s move is not about a couple of lucrative years driving a red car and becoming a Ferrari brand ambassador. If I were a Ferrari fan I’d see this move as nothing other than extremely positive.

F1NAC

Rikhart wrote:
Norris needs to sort his head out. It was evident last year that in crucial moments he crumbled.

Vanja #66

LM10 wrote:
There is little reason to expect any current manufacturer will have loads of issues with 26 PUs, ICE is basically the same architecture and the difference will be the fuel. Oil partners are working on that for a while already and no reason to expect any of them will have too much trouble. The most important aspect will probably be establishing the right harvesting and deployment strategies in the race, when to safely harvest on the straights and when to use full power.

RBPT and Audi, on the other hand, will have their work cut out. I'd bet RBPT will be ok in terms of outright power, but will suffer with reliability in 26. Audi will likely be reverse, or suffer on both fronts.

In other news, Marko is himself again of course

https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

Regarding what the Hamilton-Leclerc dream team will be, Marko has no doubts: the Englishman will be the favorite to start . The #16 will be "ahead on the flying lap" , but as far as the championship is concerned, Hamilton will be the horse to bet on. According to Marko, the Briton is better than Leclerc in the race and "will also establish himself politically as Ferrari's global superstar"
So Marko actually sees the threat in Leclerc, unsurprisingly
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Some interesting takes on here. Here’s mine for what it’s worth. Ferrari are on a win win. Ham comes in and is faster then he’s faster than their current quickest driver. If he’s actually not as quick then they still gain all his political influence, his commercial output, and more importantly his knowledge and expertise in terms of setting cars up and feedback loops to the engineers, which I currently feel is a weakness within the team.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 15:44
LM10 wrote:
There is little reason to expect any current manufacturer will have loads of issues with 26 PUs, ICE is basically the same architecture and the difference will be the fuel. Oil partners are working on that for a while already and no reason to expect any of them will have too much trouble. The most important aspect will probably be establishing the right harvesting and deployment strategies in the race, when to safely harvest on the straights and when to use full power.
What about turbo lag problem? Now this is not a problem with MGU-H keeping turbo spinning when off throttle, but In '26 teams will have to deal with that somehow. I imagine that ICE mapping (cold blowing) similar to the ones used during blown diffuser times might be imlemented. I don't know if 'normal' anti-lag system can be used due to the fuel limits.
Can this be a problem for PU manufacturers in 2026?

scuderiabrandon

wiktor977 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 16:29
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 15:44
LM10 wrote:
What about turbo lag problem? Now this is not a problem with MGU-H keeping turbo spinning when off throttle, but In '26 teams will have to deal with that somehow. I imagine that ICE mapping (cold blowing) similar to the ones used during blown diffuser times might be imlemented. I don't know if 'normal' anti-lag system can be used due to the fuel limits.
Can this be a problem for PU manufacturers in 2026?
Any form of anti-lag is prohibited, the rules there are well defined.

I'm sure they'll play around with the ERS mapppings to phase out very agressive turbo-lag. That probably makes clipping a bigger concern, therefore they'd need to lower the drag as much as possible.