2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Alonso with AM 2+1 so, he has 1 year left with AM. Honda going to supply engine for AM in 2026. Alonso will not stay with AM in 2026. The driver market will wind up in 2024 itself.

Once Honda with AM, Honda will try to put his driver along side with Stroll Jr. Hence Alonso will not be in AM in 2026.

The only option Alonso has is jumping the ship in 2025 with 2+1 . The option he has is:

1. RB -> but I doubt because he already had bad experience with Honda when they return to F1 with McLaren. Ford is new so He will not move to RB in 2025
2. Mercedes -> it is he only and best option available for him. It is best to move to Mercedes with 2+1 so he will be driving till 2027 then retire from sports at the age of 46. It is the best option for Alonso

else,
retire from F1 in end of 2025 which I doubt because he will explorer 2026 rule change.

CHT
CHT

JPower wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 05:05
CHT wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 01:18
Although LH still has a contract for 2024, I am guessing both LH and Merc may part ways midway into the season, especially if W15 is not as quick as LH has hoped for.

LH perhaps will want to take a short break to recharge before moving to Ferrari, while Merc may prefer their new driver to start giving input to the 2025 cars before the end of the season and keeping their development program away from LH.

SV to replace LH? I think that is highly possible and it will be exciting to see how SV fair against GR,
Are you talking about Seb Vettel or Stoffel Vandoorne? Regardless, either one is getting absolutely washed by George. Wouldn’t be close.

Lewis will race because he’s a competitor. Probably the most underrated trait he has.
I am referring to SV of course, he is a multiple WDCs, he is available, and he is German just like MS. Having SV return from retirement will certainly generate a lot of excitement and perhaps also help fill the void left by LH.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Vettel had been past due already half a decade ago. I don’t see any excitement in that nor any chance that it would ever happen.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Shakeman

CHT wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 10:08

I am referring to SV of course, he is a multiple WDCs, he is available, and he is German just like MS. Having SV return from retirement will certainly generate a lot of excitement and perhaps also help fill the void left by LH.
If I could downvote this nonsense I would.

JPower
JPower

CHT wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 10:08

You keep saying SV so I assume you mean Vettel. Not that hard to type out.

If he's not at least at the level of 2019 Vettel(he's not), then there is no reason to bring his name up anymore.

KimiRai
KimiRai

F1 | Mercedes background: Hamilton can't take engineers away
As we anticipated, the rumors that Lewis could bring some trusted technicians to Ferrari have little credibility because a "non-poaching clause" was included in the drafting of the contract with the seven-time world champion which prevents Hamilton from calling Peter Bonnington or Andrew Shovlin. The Star protected himself, a sign that the fears of an exit had already been contemplated at the renewal of the agreement which provided for a year plus option.

[...] in reality the operation will not be possible. According to what Motorsport.com has learned, in the voluminous contract that Lewis signed with Mercedes last August there is a clause that protects the team on this front. In England it is called the "non-poaching clause", a note that is attached to managers' contracts to prevent an action aimed at inviting former colleagues to follow the same path in the event of termination of the relationship with the company, proposing employment in another workplace.

Mercedes has used the same approach with Hamilton, who is expressly prohibited by contact from even proposing to his current collaborators to follow him towards Maranello starting from 2025. It is a measure that several Formula 1 teams have introduced in the contracts of the top -manager and in some cases (like this one) also of some pilots, in order to avoid hemorrhaging of personnel. Poaching (literally 'poaching') has been a topic that has long been present in the contracts of technical directors and team principals, as well as in those of top drivers, figures who can have an important influence on the team.

A similar case occurred at the end of the 2014 season. Fernando Alonso, after his divorce from Maranello and his subsequent move to McLaren, managed to be followed by the then track engineer Andrea Stella. The same operation was not possible for Sebastian Vettel (who replaced Alonso at Ferrari) because the contract signed with Red Bull included a 'poaching' clause which prevented Guillaume "Rocky" Rocquelin (Seb's engineer in the four world championship seasons) from following Vettel in his new adventure in 'red'. Obviously a transfer is always possible with the consent of all parties, but it doesn't seem like the current scenario for Mercedes, taken by surprise and certainly not enthusiastic about Hamilton's departure.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10573618/

f1jcw
f1jcw

Can't stop engineers from independently handing their notice in. Just Lewis can't tap them up.

f1jcw wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 11:21
Can't stop engineers from independently handing their notice in. Just Lewis can't tap them up.
Precisely, I imagine there’s a not insignificant burden of proof reqmt; which would render any clause meaningless.

- Engineer A left Merc to join Ferrari
- Engineer A left Merc to join Ferrari because he/she wanted to continue to work with HAM
- Engineer A left Merc to join Ferrari because he/she wanted to continue to work with HAM & was solicited by HAM in this regard.

In my mind only 1 satisfies ‘poaching’ - good luck trying to prove it all too. Even Wolff seems somewhat resigned to losing staff, so far from cut & dry.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

BMMR61

So much hot air. Return of SV - ROFL, he was mediocre at AM and has been in retirement for too long. Think of the column inches of Michael's comeback - for what reward? Old words from a proven star performer would soon be forgotten, not that I'm advocating for him. So many discount Sainz who was supposed to be totally washed by Charles, like Button going to McLaren in 2010. Sainz is a quickish driver, a better racer, and one of the smartest guys on the grid. Mercedes could do far worse than someone who would at least push George, and would add steel to the direction of the team.

denyall

Kimi, Oscar, or Carlos is the word on the street.

My vote is Carlos but we will see.

BMMR61

denyall wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 02:13

Oscar is locked to 2027, Kimi is a work in progress. Don't discount Albon despite claims he wants to stay.

denyall

BMMR61 wrote:
denyall wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 02:13

Oscar is locked to 2027, Kimi is a work in progress. Don't discount Albon despite claims he wants to stay.
Merc could buy out McLaren if Oscar has a decent first half of the year.
Kimi could also have a good first half of the year and go straight in.
I think Carlos warms the seat for two years and Kimi comes in for 27.

Chuckjr

I really don’t see anyone that can fill the role better than Alonso if they want experience and feedback and the best race craft on the grid. 2025 will be a more competitive year overall, and I think few would fight harder or smarter than Fred. He won’t make many mistakes, can’t be intimidated, and knows how to win and lusts to win even today. We know this as his spirit on the podium shows he still gets off on the whole thing.

Albon would be outstanding but doesn’t have near the level of creds. I don’t think he could provide the feedback level Alonso could in 26, and he doesn’t have near the experience level. He also has no championships to offer.

Kimi is too young and needs some years yet. Not even on the table for 25 or 26 imo.

Carlos is good but imo doesn’t have the race craft and certainly not the creds than Alonso offers. No championships. Also, oddly enough, with the attitude change Alonso has sported for the last few years, Carlos may be more of a liability than a mate by comparison. He certainly would not have the feedback Alonso could provide especially during a big reg change year.

Merc could use a very experienced driver in the car for 26 especially and the multi-championships Alonso offers is much needed Scooby-snack for Merc sponsorships. Fred is well loved in many markets world wide. Likely second only to Lewis. Merc needs a big name for sponsors and Carlos won’t bring the same game. Not even close.

I just don’t see anyone better fit for the Merc in 25 and 26 than Alonso.
Watching F1 since 1986.

mendis
mendis

It's Alonso or Antonelli on the basis of what Mercedes plans are for the team. If they want stability, preparation and focus on getting off the blocks well with the car in 2026, it's Alonso. If they don't care about the preparation part so much and trusts George's feedback enough, then they can go bold with Antonelli. Anyone else is a waste of time, money and effort.