2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
S D

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 04:22
S D wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 02:57
Perhaps I am missing something. Is the complaint that the gossip about the changes weren't entirely honest?

Should we demand an apology? :lol:
No of course Ferrari doesn't owe anyone an apology. I was only making an observation.
And I was only poking fun.

dialtone
dialtone

Filming day in Fiorano.

Car looks sharp to me and no porpoising.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:37

Filming day in Fiorano.

For comparison, this was the SF 23 filming day

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:

Filming day in Fiorano.

Indeed, sparks more and seemingly runs lower at higher speeds.

On another note, after looking again at all the available photos of SF-24 and comparing it to SF-23 Evo I just want to give a big shout to Cardile and his team! Equally, Gualtieri and his team are no less important with their work on improving power delivery of the PU even with development freeze!

They all did an amazing job in a short time frame and did as much as they could to learn about their new development direction, we were harsh in 23 Team Thread but the engineers sat down and did their job. Every update they brought was an improvement, they figured out all their problems and solved them as much as possible with the car they already had. We haven't seen this from Ferrari as long as I remember and possible not since Todt, Schumi, Brawn and Byrne came in mid 90s. When the car was bad at the start it remained bad all season and sometimes even turned bad after a good start! :cry:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

dialtone wrote:

Filming day in Fiorano.

I personally couldn't tell. Looking forward to seeing onboards from pre-season testing and, of course, long-run times.

maxxer
maxxer

Seanspeed wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:25
Andres125sx wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 09:37
It obviously depends on your understanding of what big means, but...

2023 WCC:
1 RED BULL RACING 860
2 MERCEDES 409
3 FERRARI 406

More points than 2nd and 3rd toghether is a big, even huge gap to me. So big they probably went conservative at the end of the season to avoid any mechanical problem, what made us think Ferrari and Mercedes were closer than they really were/are
The results gap was enormous, but ultimate performance gaps weren't necessarily as huge. The Red Bull was just an incredibly consistent monster every Sunday. Perez struggled with the car on many Saturdays to where it wouldn't have suggested it was any kind of world-beater if we didn't know what Max was doing with the same car.

I mean, everybody knows it's a long shot for anybody to catch up to a moving Red Bull target. We know how well they are able to hold and develop on their advantages. So you'd have to be silly to have expected anybody else to have come up with some new, radical concept that could suddenly upset the apple cart all while the roads have been maintained and stayed the same(aka the regulations). But, it's not inconceivable that some team could get their act together enough to close the gap enough to make things more interesting, more regularly. Ferrari have proven the closest performance competitor to Red Bull so far in this 2022 era, and while they are now running a different concept, usually what matters most is getting all the details right and making sure everything is working as it should.

Maybe nailing these details and getting a more 'complete' design vision accomplished will propel Ferrari to being more competitive. Not saying to expect that, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.
Also a big challenge on the PU side with what Honda got together in the end before the freeze.
WCC gap is incredible if i think back about SP struggling to match MV almost the whole year.

JPower
JPower

Well, now that launch season is over, seems like everyone has broadly similar ideas. Disappointing after the craziness of 2022 but to be expected.

Ready to see who really did their homework. I think Ferrari not having to start from scratch should help greatly.

Space-heat
Space-heat

JPower wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 18:28
Well, now that launch season is over, seems like everyone has broadly similar ideas. Disappointing after the craziness of 2022 but to be expected.

Ready to see who really did their homework. I think Ferrari not having to start from scratch should help greatly.
Be interesting to see how the "overbite" and "underbite" argument plays out. Ferrari and Aston under, Merc neutral and MCL, RB (who knows) over. Also if RB have moved the SIS to the top as speculation is suggesting, that is some gamble.

Get me to preseason testing!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vasseur/Elkann gave this interview posted to formu1a.uno in mid-december. I'm confused how we got from here, to signing Hamilton.
This winter, a key topic for Fred Vasseur is the contracts of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz. Both expire at the end of 2024, and renewal negotiations have started.

Recently, the president of Ferrari, John Elkann, showed clear confidence in retaining both drivers.

“Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz will certainly continue with us” in a relationship where all parties are happy and want to continue.

Time is short, but Vasseur has clear ideas:
“The goal is to renew them before next season, yes”.
https://formu1a.uno/en/vasseur-leclerc- ... contracts/

Was he just hiding the Hamilton negotiations?

It does not seem like Hamilton decided until very late. Ferrari was talking about renewing Sainz and Leclerc at the end of last year.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:Vasseur/Elkann gave this interview posted to formu1a.uno in mid-december. I'm confused how we got from here, to signing Hamilton.
This winter, a key topic for Fred Vasseur is the contracts of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz. Both expire at the end of 2024, and renewal negotiations have started.

Recently, the president of Ferrari, John Elkann, showed clear confidence in retaining both drivers.

“Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz will certainly continue with us” in a relationship where all parties are happy and want to continue.

It does not seem like Hamilton decided until very late.
Obviously they were hiding that because it was highly uncertain still. What was there to gain by being open about it, especially if it didn’t end up landing properly?

Vanja #66

I'm almost certain they signed something like a right to first refusal with Lulu during 2023 and he may have called late in 23 and said he won't refuse. Both drivers confirmed yesterday they knew about it weeks before it was announced, so at least very early January, if not late December. Ferrari held Christmas lunch quite early...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:05
AR3-GP wrote:Vasseur/Elkann gave this interview posted to formu1a.uno in mid-december. I'm confused how we got from here, to signing Hamilton.

Obviously they were hiding that because it was highly uncertain still. What was there to gain by being open about it, especially if it didn’t end up landing properly?
No I don't think they were going to broadcast it, but it's just amusing to read back now that I've learned it was untrue.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:13
dialtone wrote:

No I don't think they were going to broadcast it, but it's just amusing to read back now that I've learned it was untrue.
There is no such thing as loyalty and friendship in F1. Every driver is for themselve and friendship are utilities. I won't be surprise LH decision to join Ferrari was done in haste, just shortly after LH get his first view of W15.
Perhaps LH felt that current Merc team will not be able to deliver the car for him to win 8WDC, if so going to Ferrari he has nothing to lose.

As for Ferrari it's perhaps an opportunity which is too good to pass.. LH may bave been inspired by Marc Marquez switching to Ducati.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Apparently the sim data is matching the real world data. I hope this is the truth though and not the same as last year where everything seemed "great" until Bahrain...

Chuckjr

CHT wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 16:41
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:13
dialtone wrote:

There is no such thing as loyalty and friendship in F1. Every driver is for themselve and friendship are utilities. I won't be surprise LH decision to join Ferrari was done in haste, just shortly after LH get his first view of W15.
Perhaps LH felt that current Merc team will not be able to deliver the car for him to win 8WDC, if so going to Ferrari he has nothing to lose.

As for Ferrari it's perhaps an opportunity which is too good to pass.. LH may bave been inspired by Marc Marquez switching to Ducati.
Oh make no mistake. Lewis has plenty to lose going to Ferrari. Plenty. He’s the new guy on the team and so on the back foot the first year of only 2. He’s a whole year now to be in Merc while signed with Ferrari which will carry all kinds of insubordination snags. Charles is much faster than George and Lewis will be an old man in F1 terms — age doesn’t lie, and Charles will be peaking. If Lewis gets his arse kicked riding the first loser train with Charles in charge, many will question his past accomplishments even more so. Lewis must at the very very least beat Charles to keep this decision reasonably good. Otherwise it’s gonna blow up in his face.

Ferrari is blowing a nearly 1/2 billion dollar load on this circus, and it will be downright mockery should Lewis not at least deliver a colossal beat down on his teammate. Ferrari will look foolish otherwise for buying into Lewis’ schtick.

People at f1 tech imo are oversimplifying Lewis’ choice and assume it’s all roses and glass slippers. Not so much. There’s still a lot to be determined. We will see come the end of 2026 how this works out but until then nothing is clean or settled or for the good or bad. Nothing.
Watching F1 since 1986.