Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: Ferrari SF-24

chrisc90

Kyle Engineers analysis

Vanja #66

Andi76 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 22:14
I think one thing has to be honored - Ferrari has actually taken a more unique path than most teams so far, because the car is more different from the Red Bull than most of the others. Personally, I'm actually very enthusiastic about this car at the moment, because I think they're doing a lot right here, at least in terms of the approach. Evolution rather than revolution has always been the path to success in F1 when there were no completely new regulations. And that's exactly what Ferrari has done here. They seem (I say seem deliberately!) to have moved the driver position a little further back, which would be an adequate way to improve front-wheel-wake management. If this is the case, it makes me feel positive, because this is a signature that seems just as familiar to me as the Evolution instead of Revolution approach. Keeping the centerline as narrow as possible so that the rear wing gets better airflow has been a good idea in my opinion since the introduction in 2022. The rear wing and the beam wing are the parts of the car that produce the most upwash. Used correctly, this can give the opportunity to drive the floor more than with other solutions. Optimizing the airflow around the cockpit is also aimed at getting an even more optimized airflow to the rear wing and beamwing. So something well thought out and precisely coordinated has definitely been done here.

In the renders, it looks as if Ferrari will retain the hybrid solution of the sidepods and continue to rely on some inwash, which potentially promises more downforce. I'm not disappointed at all, but rather very positively surprised and this car gives me hope. They seem to have kept the good things (instead of copying most of the Red Bull stuff like many others) and combined this with solutions that are known to be good and efficient and (hopefully) improved and "evolved" in the right areas. The F1-75 clearly proved that the basic technology and concept was very good until the TD039 in 2022. In view of this, it seems to me to be a very good solution to adopt the good areas, technologies and concepts of this and the 2023 car, adequately replace the bad ones and eliminate the weak points. And that is generally a much better way to achieve success than simply throwing everything overboard and constantly starting again, or clumsily copying the solutions of the most successful team. That's why I'm very optimistic about this car. And also because the way and manner in which, where and how it was done seems very familiar to me, just like certain concepts and solutions of the F1-75 did at the beginning of the season...

Finally, I would like to say one more thing to those who say or write (media) "Ferrari now also uses the Red Bull intake on the sidepods" - this is not a Red Bull intake. Ferrari actually invented this "underbite" intake in 2017 and used it in 2017 and 2018. Red Bull actually copied it in 2022. So if Red Bull has been running a Ferrari intake since 2022, Ferrari is now using its own invention again!
Andi, I feel the need to write down how much I agree on every point. An upvote is simply not enough :)

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:19
Kyle Engineers analysis

Very nice from Kyle, went into a bit more detail than what we did here on a few topics, but most of those points were discussed during SF-23 development updates. Glad we agree on the Halo slat function, cheers Kyle! 8)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Luscion
Luscion

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Luscion wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:11
Aero bit on the front of the helmet?

FDD
FDD

It is interesting to compare the SF23 first run with this of SF24.

Xyz22
Xyz22

FDD wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:36

ing.

Interesting info from Cardile about reasons for going with pull-rod at rear:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferra ... /10575518/

Interesting because he mentions compliance as a criterion and I mentioned this in the SF-24 speculation thread in commenting the AM/Merc rear suspension’s quite horizontal push-rod angle, something that was also picked up here:

https://formu1a.uno/ecco-perche-la-nuov ... -stagione/

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66

ing. wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:56

Interesting because he mentions compliance as a criterion and I mentioned this in the SF-24 speculation thread in commenting the AM/Merc rear suspension’s quite horizontal push-rod angle, something that was also picked up here:

As I said, it was a really nice catch from you! Trust me, formu1a.uno guys picked it up here, from you :wink: Ciao ragazzi, saluti! 8)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 17:37
ing. wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:56

As I said, it was a really nice catch from you! Trust me, formu1a.uno guys picked it up here, from you :wink: Ciao ragazzi, saluti! 8)
😉 👍

LM10
LM10

What are the white spots seen inside the sidepods?

On a side note, in this view it again is apparent how much more room there is around the airbox towards the rear wing compared to other cars. This packaing advantage remains in the hands of Ferrari.

https://ibb.co/tYF3jHB

gordonthegun

According to F1InGenerale.com, Leclerc tested 2 different engine covers and maybe different sidepods during the filming day.

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-ferrari-alt ... rano-foto/

Translation (Google):
After the presentation and the first laps at Fiorano, Leclerc returned to the track with something new on his Ferrari SF-24.

Immediately after the presentation of the new Ferrari SF-24, Sainz and Leclerc had the opportunity to try out the new features on the single-seater during the filming day and the shakedown.

After the presentation and the first laps at Fiorano, Leclerc returned to the track with something new on his Ferrari.

On Wednesday, one of our correspondents immediately noticed a very interesting detail. The Monegasque driver in fact took to the track in the afternoon with two cars that appear to be different. The main difference concerns the engine cover of the SF-24 with a very different fin from the one seen during the presentation.

In the first image you can see the solution used by Charles Leclerc around 1pm. The fin of his single-seater appears to be very narrow and similar to the one seen during the presentation.

Around 3pm, however, the latest creation to come out of Maranello featured a wider fin with a white box placed there to indicate an area that engineers and aerodynamicists wanted to keep an eye on.

Looking at this extension of the engine cover we can notice some differences. It is now wider and slightly higher in the race number area. A useful modification to improve the straight-line stability of the car and better guide the flows towards the rear wing. The sidepods also change, even if imperceptibly. The changes are quite evident in the initial area of ​​the undercut, where the Shell sponsor sticker has taken on a different position.

Furthermore, by comparing the two photos we can also see that the upper and lower edges of the bellies are closer. The final area of ​​the sidepods is also slightly different and seems to have been shortened and narrowed towards the center of the car to improve the passage of air towards the rear axle.

It now remains to be understood which of the two solutions will be chosen by Cavallino for the tests and for the first race of the season.
In my opinion the sidepods didn't change and the differences are due to the different light and perspective.

FDD
FDD

Xyz22 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:45
FDD wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 16:36
SF24 looks to me much more agile, going tighter through the corners, like they solve the problem with the understeer.

KimiRai
KimiRai

gordonthegun wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 20:16
According to F1InGenerale.com, Leclerc tested 2 different engine covers and maybe different sidepods during the filming day.

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-ferrari-alt ... rano-foto/

Translation (Google):

Last edited by KimiRai on 14 Feb 2024, 20:37, edited 5 times in total.