2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

SoulPancake13 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 19:03
Apparently the sim data is matching the real world data. I hope this is the truth though and not the same as last year where everything seemed "great" until Bahrain...
In hindsight, Vasseur had the worst thing happen, he inherited a bad car and had to iron out everything inside the team and out towards the public. Their statements were reserved and collected, they said they have work to do during pre season test. Saying the car matches the sim data is only good as long as sim data is good, and looking back at 2023 team thread I didn't find them saying that. Only media speculation. Both drivers had a poor body language, as they understood the reality but no one is gonna admit how tough things are.

The worst that happened last year was the grand launch and Vigna saying the car is "unprecedented in terms of speed" whatever that was supposed to mean. There was great pressure from Vigna to deliver both Championships and everyone in the team seemingly knew it wasn't going to happen. Sanchez was going out, a few more people, later Mekies as well. Those who stayed put their heads down and made a great recovery from scratch.

The statements are now more positive, but fairly realistic - the car is much better than starting position last year, it does everything like it should and we want to fight for wins. That last part simply has to be said when driving for Ferrari, otherwise the whole Italy will start knocking on your door :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

Vanja #66 wrote: The worst that happened last year was the grand launch and Vigna saying the car is "unprecedented in terms of speed" whatever that was supposed to mean. There was great pressure from Vigna to deliver both Championships and everyone in the team seemingly knew it wasn't going to happen. Sanchez was going out, a few more people, later Mekies as well. Those who stayed put their heads down and made a great recovery from scratch.

The statements are now more positive, but fairly realistic - the car is much better than starting position last year, it does everything like it should and we want to fight for wins. That last part simply has to be said when driving for Ferrari, otherwise the whole Italy will start knocking on your door :lol:
Not to defend Vigna, but IMHO the design that still didn’t solve porpoising and introduced instability wasn’t his fault. Setting high level goals doesn’t seem the root of that problem.

Ferrari simply never understood how that worked, now they seem like they did. Whatever announcement maybe didn’t help but certainly wasn’t the cause of a crap design.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:14
Not to defend Vigna, but IMHO the design that still didn’t solve porpoising and introduced instability wasn’t his fault. Setting high level goals doesn’t seem the root of that problem.

Ferrari simply never understood how that worked, now they seem like they did. Whatever announcement maybe didn’t help but certainly wasn’t the cause of a crap design.
Actually it was his fault directly. He insisted the primary goal must be to reduce drag a lot and increase downforce and he wanted to see the numbers that said so. This was somewhere around summer 22 sa far as I understood. Binotto strongly disagreed, as did Sanchez and this was one of the biggest reason for those break ups, or the final drop as they say... Guess this is why we are now seeing and hearing a lot more of Elkann, while Vigna is snubbed.

#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

Vanja #66 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:14

Actually it was his fault directly. He insisted the primary goal must be to reduce drag a lot and increase downforce and he wanted to see the numbers that said so. This was somewhere around summer 22 sa far as I understood. Binotto strongly disagreed, as did Sanchez and this was one of the biggest reason for those break ups, or the final drop as they say... Guess this is why we are now seeing and hearing a lot more of Elkann, while Vigna is snubbed.
I’m not contesting that. I’m just contesting that not solving porpoising wasn’t likely part of the deal. When they saw porpoising again they had to raise the car which caused the lack of correlation.

Xyz22
Xyz22

SoulPancake13 wrote:
Apparently the sim data is matching the real world data. I hope this is the truth though and not the same as last year where everything seemed "great" until Bahrain...
By rewatching Leclerc interview post filming day (2023) it is clear he was not happy at all.

They later admitted that the car didn't feel good in the sim as well. Binotto was not a good leader though.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:29
I’m not contesting that. I’m just contesting that not solving porpoising wasn’t likely part of the deal. When they saw porpoising again they had to raise the car which caused the lack of correlation.
Yes, if you want to cut drag by reducing outwash and lower the floor roof to make more downforce you get the same thing Mercedes did with W13. From my understanding, this is what knowingly ended up happening after engineers were forced to show required results. A team that was so good with the car a year ago can't go so much back on its own, there's always an idiotic external influence, it took me a while to reconcile that :lol:

What happened after Bahrain is they switched to fully developing (the already started) Evo program shown in Barcelona and I guess Vasseur made sure Elkann fully understood the engineering team can't get pressured into fulfilling external wishes from non-motorsport personnel. Ever again I hope. They had a lot of re-learning to do, but basically even the first Evo package was an improvement after they got the setup right and every update later really was an improvement. Front wing design heavily influenced inherited understeer and only with Japan floor update was that bit ironed out slightly.

#BlessYouLaddie

bagajohny
bagajohny

Xyz22 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:35
SoulPancake13 wrote:
By rewatching Leclerc interview post filming day (2023) it is clear he was not happy at all.

They later admitted that the car didn't feel good in the sim as well. Binotto was not a good leader though.
Can you post the link to the interview?

Xyz22
Xyz22

bagajohny wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:10
Xyz22 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

It doesn't say anything regarding the car and was talking about the contract (February 2023), but you could see that he was not "happy". He looked like they killed his cat or something. I'll link it if I find it, as I don't have it "on hand".

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Chuckjr wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 19:28
Ferrari is blowing a nearly 1/2 billion dollar load on this circus, and it will be downright mockery should Lewis not at least deliver a colossal beat down on his teammate. Ferrari will look foolish otherwise for buying into Lewis’ schtick.
In no world will anybody with a sensible brain be expecting Lewis to put a 'colossal beat down' on Leclerc, who might well be the toughest opponent he's faced in the same team since his rookie year.

Whatever Ferrari's intentions with his hiring, that will absolutely not be the reason why they did it.

They certainly do have to worry about being lambasted for 'letting Lewis down', much more than have they for Leclerc, though. There is certainly a circus surrounding Lewis, and Ferrari have done a lot to mostly avoid the ire of close British media scrutiny, but now that veil is lifted and all bets are off. Nothing more that the British press would love than to trash on the Italian team for not doing Lewis proper.

CHT
CHT

Chuckjr wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 19:28
CHT wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 16:41
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:13

No I don't think they were going to broadcast it, but it's just amusing to read back now that I've learned it was untrue.
There is no such thing as loyalty and friendship in F1. Every driver is for themselve and friendship are utilities. I won't be surprise LH decision to join Ferrari was done in haste, just shortly after LH get his first view of W15.
Perhaps LH felt that current Merc team will not be able to deliver the car for him to win 8WDC, if so going to Ferrari he has nothing to lose.

As for Ferrari it's perhaps an opportunity which is too good to pass.. LH may bave been inspired by Marc Marquez switching to Ducati.
Oh make no mistake. Lewis has plenty to lose going to Ferrari. Plenty. He’s the new guy on the team and so on the back foot the first year of only 2. He’s a whole year now to be in Merc while signed with Ferrari which will carry all kinds of insubordination snags. Charles is much faster than George and Lewis will be an old man in F1 terms — age doesn’t lie, and Charles will be peaking. If Lewis gets his arse kicked riding the first loser train with Charles in charge, many will question his past accomplishments even more so. Lewis must at the very very least beat Charles to keep this decision reasonably good. Otherwise it’s gonna blow up in his face.

Ferrari is blowing a nearly 1/2 billion dollar load on this circus, and it will be downright mockery should Lewis not at least deliver a colossal beat down on his teammate. Ferrari will look foolish otherwise for buying into Lewis’ schtick.

People at f1 tech imo are oversimplifying Lewis’ choice and assume it’s all roses and glass slippers. Not so much. There’s still a lot to be determined. We will see come the end of 2026 how this works out but until then nothing is clean or settled or for the good or bad. Nothing.
After 2 years of winless season at Merc, there is nothing much for LH to lose as I don't think he believes Merc or even Ferrari can offer him a car to challenge RBR and Max for the championship.

LH's career at Ferrari will likely be short because at his age he will likely hang up his boots win or lose. If he wins the 8WDC, he will retire at a career high, if he struggles to keep pace with Charles, he will likely bow out after a few seasons like MS when he was driving alongside Rosberg at Merc.

For LH, to be driving in a Ferrari is perhaps a dream come true, while Ferrari will gain instant boost in brand exposure simply by signing Lewis, especially for Ferrari's biggest market USA.

Its a win-win situation for LH and Ferrari regardless of win or lose on track.

Vanja #66

There is a new thread for 2025 Hamilton Ferrari move, everyone please move and keep all discussion about that move in that topic --> viewtopic.php?t=31570

#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

bagajohny wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

Found it

Also a "comparison" between SF 23 launch spec and SF 24 running in Fiorano

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Xyz22 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 16:20
bagajohny wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

Found it

Yeesh. Didn't realize that Charles made it that obvious even before testing. Interesting comparison video. Obviously, lots of different factors at play here but it looks like SF24 is riding lower and is more stable in braking. Just my observations from afar though. Just look at 0:50 in the video, SF23 has a ridiculous amount of understeer there compared to SF24.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 16:20

Seen it earlier today, it's no wonder they were both eager to try it out on track. Even if it's more shakedown and getting to feel the car than actual testing, both of them were always faster than with SF-23. That one must have been a real handful, even if it was quite fast over one lap.

#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Car is running quite close to the ground :D