2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Ferrari style hidden vertical duct and a very slim intake is my reckoning.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

As for the experience of driving the RB20 on the simulator and whether it resembles the RB19, Verstappen admitted that he hasn’t had a chance to extensively test the final package yet as things were being tweaked and worked on in the development process—but noted that he was pleased with the sim work he’s done so far.

“I haven’t really done a lot of, the total car, everything together, because it’s constantly like, you work on development bits, so I still need to do that a little bit more.

“But again, of course I prefer to always drive the car in real life first, a little bit more, to then have a more accurate feedback for the sim. But, so far, everyone has been happy with the sim driving as well.”
https://www.pitdebrief.com/post/verstap ... o-all-out/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Asked if Red Bull was changing direction having seemingly taken a step towards Mercedes' design from last year, Horner said: "It’s not tactical. It’s based on performance and what we’re seeing through our simulation tools.

"Obviously the car looks quite visibly different to last year in certain areas.

"Only the stopwatch will tell but in the virtual world we wouldn’t have committed it to design if we didn’t feel it was better."
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/red- ... semblance/

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

So, how does it feel to have won both titles even before the cars hit the track for the first time? :lol:

Sieper

Every year it starts again. RB16B was very close to the world beater Mercedes produced the year before.

JordanMugen

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:43
Andi76 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 22:46
I would say they indeed were conservative, because apart from the sidepod inlet it's actually a very conservative evolution. And I doubt whether Over instead of Underbite will change that.
If we compare launch spec RB18 to launch spec RB19 there was a lot of clear improvement and aggressive evolution. This launch spec of RB20 is closer to RB18 level of details in most areas of top side bodywork, so I would also call it conservstive. They clearly wanted to open a new development direction for it and as such the first solution is usually either conservative or unreliable/unpredictable and no team can afford to do the latter wirh only 3 days of pre season testing
Do folks suppose the initial RB20 could be slower than the final RB19 to start with? A risky strategy from Red Bull, if that's the case!

IMO, I don't think they would have made the changes unless they have already shown at least some improvement on the RB19 (overall, if not in every individual area too), but who knows. Would Red Bull really be willing to take a step back to take two steps forwards later on?

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:20
PS No, we haven't yet seen the true solution to the full extent and no, the car running the other day is not the mockup shown today
:o

Red Bull playing games? Shocking. :wink:

The way the radiators inlet have been hidden has certainly been amusing. :)

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Vanja #66

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 06:43
Do folks suppose the initial RB20 could be slower than the final RB19 to start with? A risky strategy from Red Bull, if that's the case!
No, that's not what I meant to be honest. All I'm saying is it's smart to start with a safer, more conservative approach to a novel solution and so you can play a word game and call the new car "conservative" even if the solution you introduced isn't. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

RedNEO

Wouter wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 10:42
:lol: Max’s answer to why he once wore a Ferrari shirt as a kid was pretty hilarious when I think the interviewer expected him to start gushing about them 😂

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Sieper wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 01:54
Every year it starts again. RB16B was very close to the world beater Mercedes produced the year before.
You can't possibly believe that it's the same situation :lol:
There was a regulation change during mid-covid turmoil, it's not nearly the same thing. And RB have access to services of an aero magician during PU freeze.

Sieper

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:12
Sieper wrote:
There was a regulation change during mid-covid turmoil, it's not nearly the same thing. And RB have access to services of an aero magician during PU freeze.
I am not serious and you laugh at me while in the same sentence you talk about "magicians". I prefer to talk in a normal way if at all possible. And I am serious, that the RB16B was so much closer to the W12 as the 16 was to the W11 that swept the field was a total shocker to many here. It doesn't help the case to be revisionist about it.

To me the first races of a season are always telling, in the large majority of seasons when the cards are dealt it is clear who has the best papers and there are no guarantees. Mercedes has made big changes to their car, they might be much more competitive. RB succeeded in doing so with minimal changes in 21 so that "offsets" the rules changes (which weren't earthshifting).

Cs98
Cs98

Sieper wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:41
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:12
Sieper wrote:
I am not serious and you laugh at me while in the same sentence you talk about "magicians". I prefer to talk in a normal way if at all possible. And I am serious, that the RB16B was so much closer to the W12 as the 16 was to the W11 that swept the field was a total shocker to many here. It doesn't help the case to be revisionist about it.

To me the first races of a season are always telling, in the large majority of seasons when the cards are dealt it is clear who has the best papers and there are no guarantees. Mercedes has made big changes to their car, they might be much more competitive. RB succeeded in doing so with minimal changes in 21 so that "offsets" the rules changes (which weren't earthshifting).
Thing is, there was a lot of pent up potential in RB16 which we saw towards the end of that season when it was legitimately competing with W11. Pair that with the rule change and a big step on the engine side and you are in business for 2021. W15 has little to no relation to W14 on the chassi side, there's no rule change, and engines are frozen. So no, I don't really see the relation to RB16B.

Two things need to happen for W15 to be competitive. 1. The car needs to be a big step faster. 2. RB need to have missed their targets.

Sieper

The new Merc has so many changes, rear suspension, driver further back, completely revised aero. It has every chance of being an enormous step forward. RB too has made big changes, what is to say that is a hit. I hope so and I trust in it a bit, but to me, the proof is in those first races and I just gave an example where a big surprise happened in recent years. Maybe there were some hints towards that at end 2020, sure, but still, not many believed it to be possible.

It is perhaps only logical to think along those lines, it happened during the merc years as well, nobility obliges, but I will wait and see. To me it isn’t a foregone conclusion. Not any year is.

Cs98
Cs98

Sieper wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:54
The new Merc has so many changes, rear suspension, driver further back, completely revised aero. It has every chance of being an enormous step forward. RB too has made big changes, what is to say that is a hit. I hope so and I trust in it a bit, but to me, the proof is in those first races and I just gave an example where a big surprise happened in recent years. Maybe there were some hints towards that at end 2020, sure, but still, not many believed it to be possible.

It is perhaps only logical to think along those lines, it happened during the merc years as well, nobility obliges, but I will wait and see. To me it isn’t a foregone conclusion. Not any year is.
Yeah but a lot of cars (Merc, Ferrari, AMR) have made visually big changes from what they had, only for their cars to roughly resemble where the RB was last year in terms of concept. The Ferrari basically resembles a launch spec RB19, AMR resembles a late season RB19, and the Merc is on the same type of concept as RB19 with some novelties such as the FW. I would be very surprised if all these cars end up being 0,5-1s faster than the RB19, which is realistically where they will have to be if RB hits their development targets on the RB20. But we will see, stranger things have happened.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 11:56
JordanMugen wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 06:43
No, that's not what I meant to be honest. All I'm saying is it's smart to start with a safer, more conservative approach to a novel solution and so you can play a word game and call the new car "conservative" even if the solution you introduced isn't. :)
They might want to start off with a base RB20 to correlate data between track and factory before they start bringing upgrades that adds performance. Or they'll throw caution to the wind and hit the ground running. Fixing problems as they pop up. I can't remember who said it, but it's easier to fix a fast but unreliable car than it is to make a slow and reliable car go faster.