2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
scuderiabrandon

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 17:52
Xyz22 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 16:20
Also a "comparison" between SF 23 launch spec and SF 24 running in Fiorano

Seen it earlier today, it's no wonder they were both eager to try it out on track. Even if it's more shakedown and getting to feel the car than actual testing, both of them were always faster than with SF-23. That one must have been a real handful, even if it was quite fast over one lap.
If you look at the full length videos you can very clearly tell how difficult the SF-23 was to drive in comparison, especially out of the low speed corners. The Charles Leclerc SF-23 filming day will should show you how much he was struggling to drive the car out of T2,T6,T12 taking 3-4 stabs at the wheel before the car turning with akward snaps on entry.

It is however worth noting that Fiorano was resurfaced since then. The SF24 looked leaps and bounds better out of the slower corners in comparison to the SF23 but could partially be a result of the resurfacing.

Another thing I've noticed is how softly sprung the cars are during fiorano test and in addition to that they always run the really low. I hazard guess they are trying to stress compaonents as much as possible.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

To me it makes sense to compare the end of season SF23 to the start of season SF24. The SF23 was a different car by the end of the year and definitely not something you would say struggled in slow corners or under braking.

Vanja #66

scuderiabrandon wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 20:06
It is however worth noting that Fiorano was resurfaced since then. The SF24 looked leaps and bounds better out of the slower corners in comparison to the SF23 but could partially be a result of the resurfacing.

Another thing I've noticed is how softly sprung the cars are during fiorano test and in addition to that they always run the really low. I hazard guess they are trying to stress compaonents as much as possible.
Ah, good point about resurfacing. Yes, they are soft and low, that's what these cars should be at speed. RB19 always had quite high static ride height, but would drop down quickly at speed.

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 20:45
To me it makes sense to compare the end of season SF23 to the start of season SF24. The SF23 was a different car by the end of the year and definitely not something you would say struggled in slow corners or under braking.
Not even launch SF23 struggled with traction and braking, but I agree that overall benchmark should be the Japan Evo spec. Luckily for everyone, Japan is the 4th race and 7 weeks from now, so no one will have to wait long to see how they compare to late-season 2023 performance. :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Macklaren
Macklaren

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 21:02
Luckily for everyone, Japan is the 4th race and 7 weeks from now, so no one will have to wait long to see how they compare to late-season 2023 performance. :mrgreen:
But very different weather conditions most likely :|

bagajohny
bagajohny

scuderiabrandon wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 20:06
Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 17:52
Xyz22 wrote:

Seen it earlier today, it's no wonder they were both eager to try it out on track. Even if it's more shakedown and getting to feel the car than actual testing, both of them were always faster than with SF-23. That one must have been a real handful, even if it was quite fast over one lap.
If you look at the full length videos you can very clearly tell how difficult the SF-23 was to drive in comparison, especially out of the low speed corners. The Charles Leclerc SF-23 filming day will should show you how much he was struggling to drive the car out of T2,T6,T12 taking 3-4 stabs at the wheel before the car turning with akward snaps on entry.

The only difference I could tell is that there is a dog barking in SF24 video :lol:

Xyz22
Xyz22

Only few days from testing.

We'll know soon enough the improvement they made

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

You mean 3 days of sandbagging and conservative engine modes? :lol:

zeroday

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 01:58
Just my opinion, when i watched several prior pre-seasons, it seems more often than not the pecking order and eventual winner of a season is made fairly clear after those 3 days (assuming one puts aside the expected car mechanical issues that seem to plague every team at some point during testing). Sandbagging seems to be more an urban legend. When watching these past testings it seems the ones who get in the most laps with the least amount of issues while also topping the lap times (or quite near it) end up cleaning up during the rest of the season.

LM10
LM10

Xyz22 wrote:

Unsure as to how much the resurfacing may have played a role here, but the difference is like day and night.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zeroday wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 02:19
AR3-GP wrote:
Just my opinion, when i watched several prior pre-seasons, it seems more often than not the pecking order and eventual winner of a season is made fairly clear after those 3 days (assuming one puts aside the expected car mechanical issues that seem to plague every team at some point during testing). Sandbagging seems to be more an urban legend. When watching these past testings it seems the ones who get in the most laps with the least amount of issues while also topping the lap times (or quite near it) end up cleaning up during the rest of the season.

jambuka
jambuka

AR3-GP wrote:
Hopefully they don't. They should push the car hard like a race to really understand and gather data. Is there restriction on PU and parts for testing ?

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 03:07
zeroday wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 02:19
AR3-GP wrote:
Mercedes' sector 3 performance on the last day told you everything you needed to know.

Also, the infamous "Did HAM cut the chicane" incident. Although that particular sector time (it was 25.2, I believe?) could've indeed been due to cutting the chicane.
Last edited by CouncilorIrissa on 17 Feb 2024, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 04:20

Also, the infamous "Did HAM cut the chicane" incident.
oh the memories...I'm personally still hoping it was cut :lol:

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 04:30
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 04:20

Also, the infamous "Did HAM cut the chicane" incident.
oh the memories...I'm personally still hoping it was cut :lol:
Looking at their performance in Barca quali later that year I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't :D

Xyz22
Xyz22

So i'd like to comment about something i have been thinking for the last few years and apparently i'm not the only one.

Yesterday, Gabriele Tredozi, former Technical Director at Minardi from 2001 to 2005, appeared on Twitch with the team from Formula1.uno. He discussed a fascinating topic: the comparison between the floors of Ferrari (and Mercedes) and the one used by Red Bull. According to him (based on his knowledge of Venturi's channels, of course), Ferrari, with its design, aimed to achieve very high peak aero load, which unfortunately proved challenging to "control." Additionally, he mentioned a significant drop in load beyond this peak, exacerbated by porpoising, further complicating matters. In contrast, Red Bull opted for a more "conservative" approach, prioritizing consistent performance over pure peak load.

This perspective makes sense for two reasons:

- Ferrari has demonstrated relatively strong performance in qualifying, even with the SF23. We understand that in qualifying, everything is pushed to the limit: minimal fuel, the softest tires without management constraints, and drivers pushing the boundaries throughout the lap.
- On the other hand, Red Bull has shown superior race pace compared not only to Ferrari but to everyone else, including McLaren, for example.

Moreover, this aligns perfectly with Binotto's supposed performance philosophy. The SF90 had tremendous peak performance, yet struggled significantly in race trim. Even the engine exhibited superior power output compared to the competition in qualifying, but the advantage narrowed considerably during races.

What do you think about this?
LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 02:43
Xyz22 wrote:

Unsure as to how much the resurfacing may have played a role here, but the difference is like day and night.
An ex Autosprint journalist (Alessandro Stefanini) was there at the filming day and said the same thing. The SF 24 was performing much better than the SF 23 according to him. Doesn't mean anything of course, just to provide a bit of context.