Christian Horner under Investigation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: Christian Horner under Investigation

SoulPancake13 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:30
chrisc90 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:28
SoulPancake13 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:20
I would really advise that we don't share the identity of the accuser... even if the article pretty much confirms who it is. They never asked to be dragged into an entire public shitstorm.
Neither did Horner to be fair.
I agree, but such is the price you pay for being such a public figure... whether that's good or not. I only mention this because revealing the identity of the alleged victims in cases like these are almost always dirty tactics.
I dont agree with naming the 'defendant' in many types of these cases, especially if later proven to be innocent. but thats a whole different topic.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:32
SoulPancake13 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I agree, but such is the price you pay for being such a public figure... whether that's good or not. I only mention this because revealing the identity of the alleged victims in cases like these are almost always dirty tactics.
I dont agree with naming the 'defendant' in many types of these cases, especially if later proven to be innocent. but thats a whole different topic.
There we can agree as well. However, you know media these days. Even if the source is reliable, I feel like you can't escape the hunt for clicks and interactions. Again, not defending it, but such is reality when you have the severe allegations against one of the greatest TPs of all time.

chrisc90

SoulPancake13 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:36
chrisc90 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:32
SoulPancake13 wrote:

There we can agree as well. However, you know media these days. Even if the source is reliable, I feel like you can't escape the hunt for clicks and interactions. Again, not defending it, but such is reality when you have the severe allegations against one of the greatest TPs of all time.
Thats the media for you. Views, clicks and money driven.....irrespective of what rubbish they churn out. Same with the Suzie/Toto scenario a few months back.

bagajohny
bagajohny

bagajohny wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 15:46
https://www.wsj.com/sports/f1-christian ... i-b576757d

Even larger questions surround the future of Wolff’s greatest rival, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner. He is currently the subject of an internal investigation over alleged “inappropriate, controlling behavior,” after his assistant lodged a complaint with the team. Horner, who has run Red Bull Racing since it first entered F1 in 2005 and guided it to seven drivers’ world championships, has denied any wrongdoing.
Okay now the article has been updated to change the mention of the word "assistant" to "employee". You can still access the old version on archive https://archive.ph/kIImu

I am not sure if it was an honest mistake on the part of WSJ. Its unusual for such a reputed publication to publish with such mistake.

dialtone
dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:20
I would really advise that we don't share the identity of the accuser... even if the article pretty much confirms who it is. They never asked to be dragged into an entire public shitstorm.
That's true only if he's innocent IMHO. Otherwise that's somewhere between irrelevant, at some point it would have come out anyway, and just not true, if he did the acts and decided not to step down he knew what was going to happen.

Either way, he's in a position of power against most of his employees so it's not very comparable.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

f1isgood wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 17:32
I don't think this is anything of a PR nightmare. Red Bull's budget cap saga and Zak Brown's constant cheating, integrity, independence comments are worse. Having said that, as long as the process was conducted in a proper manner, regardless of the outcome, Red Bull can definitely come out as a winner assuming the outcome is the correct decision. At some level, I am convinced Red Bull believe any publicity is good publicity. They don't sell expensive products anyways.
I strongly disagree. The general public don't even know about Zak's comments and most F1 fans understand they are politically motivated to try and destabilise the Red Bull juggernaut. On the other hand the general public do know who Horner is, even if only as "the husband of Ginger Spice" and a scandal, whether true or not, involving sexual impropriety is never a good thing for sales.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

BosF1
BosF1

I must have missed it somewhere in the last 39 pages, but what did Zak comment about this matter?

denyall

BosF1 wrote:I must have missed it somewhere in the last 39 pages, but what did Zak comment about this matter?
Nothing that I am aware of.

RB doesn't like that he called their cost cap breach cheating and that he isn't a fan of RB controlling two teams.

maxxer
maxxer

PapayaFan481 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 19:51
f1isgood wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 17:32
I don't think this is anything of a PR nightmare. Red Bull's budget cap saga and Zak Brown's constant cheating, integrity, independence comments are worse. Having said that, as long as the process was conducted in a proper manner, regardless of the outcome, Red Bull can definitely come out as a winner assuming the outcome is the correct decision. At some level, I am convinced Red Bull believe any publicity is good publicity. They don't sell expensive products anyways.
I strongly disagree. The general public don't even know about Zak's comments and most F1 fans understand they are politically motivated to try and destabilise the Red Bull juggernaut. On the other hand the general public do know who Horner is, even if only as "the husband of Ginger Spice" and a scandal, whether true or not, involving sexual impropriety is never a good thing for sales.
You are right about general public, most who don't care about F1 will just find it sad for Geri what she must be going through and all.

f1jcw
f1jcw

They don’t have much to say but it has now attracted F1’s attention

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68333346

Formula 1 has urged Red Bull to resolve the controversy surrounding Christian Horner as soon as possible.
"We hope that the matter will be clarified at the earliest opportunity after a fair and thorough process," an F1 statement read.
"We have noted Red Bull has instigated an independent investigation into internal allegations at Red Bull Racing," it added.
"We will not comment further at this time."

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

The only reason this is being delayed is because they’re desperately trying to pay the other party off. I guarantee that a number will be reached that they say yes to will be achieved and by the end of the week this will all disappear as they withdraw their allegations.

f1jcw
f1jcw

bonjon1979 wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 20:26
The only reason this is being delayed is because they’re desperately trying to pay the other party off. I guarantee that a number will be reached that they say yes to will be achieved and by the end of the week this will all disappear as they withdraw their allegations.
If that happens, I’m not sure the smell will dissipate quite as fast

Wouter

Just a few "facts" mentioned by Erik van Haren and Ralf Bach that I question .
Horner and the lady who sued him sent each other apps over an extended period of time that were sexually tinged.
So the lady initially participated in that herself, otherwise it would have ended after a few days.
Suddenly after several weeks (months?) she files a complaint with the top boss of RB GmbH in Austria about Horner.

What happened between the time she participated in it herself and being bothered by it?
Would Horner be stupid enough to keep sending her apps when she didn't want to? Would he be so stupid to keep bothering her with cheeky/threatening words that she could show everyone? Horner seems like a cunning and smart guy.
Why did she refuse the huge amount to keep her mouth shut? Is she hoping for more?
Had Horner threatened her with dismissal (which I don't think he can do)?

Who passed on all this confidential information to van Haren and Ralf Bach?
Who had access to the apps that Bach and van Haren saw?
Who benefited from this whole story about Horner becoming known?

After all, he now has a bad name even before the results of the investigation have been made public.
The investigation has been going on since December, which is about +/- 8 weeks!
If it was all so bad, why did the lawyer go on vacation before the case was closed, since Mintzlaff wanted to finish the case
as soon as possible?
If it was all so bad why was Horner allowed to just keep doing his job?
Thai owner Chaleo Yoovidhya owns 48%, Mark Mateschitz owns 49% and the remaining 3% was owned by a relative of Yoovidhya which he sold to a so far unknown person.
Do they all approve of Horner continuing to operate? This whole course of events is one big question mark for me.
The Power of Dreams!

bagajohny
bagajohny

f1jcw wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:38
They don’t have much to say but it has now attracted F1’s attention

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68333346

Formula 1 has urged Red Bull to resolve the controversy surrounding Christian Horner as soon as possible.
"We hope that the matter will be clarified at the earliest opportunity after a fair and thorough process," an F1 statement read.
"We have noted Red Bull has instigated an independent investigation into internal allegations at Red Bull Racing," it added.
"We will not comment further at this time."
Isn't it a bit late in the day for F1 to make a statement now? Almost 15 days after the Redbull statement.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Wouter wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 20:59
Just a few "facts" mentioned by Erik van Haren and Ralf Bach that I question .
Horner and the lady who sued him sent each other apps over an extended period of time that were sexually tinged.

So the lady initially participated in that herself, otherwise it would have ended after a few days.
It doesn’t fully say what you are implying , it says

The app traffic between the female Red Bull employee and Horner, seen by De Telegraaf, shows that Horner (50) has regularly sent sexually suggestive messages to the employee over a considerable period of time.
There is quite a difference between what is stated and what you are implying.
Last edited by f1jcw on 18 Feb 2024, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.