Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bagajohny
bagajohny

Re: Ferrari SF-24

organic wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 11:10
organic wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 15:50
Better quality comparison photos of the two different engine covers run in the filming day

I believe most of the difference in appearance is due to lighting, but there's certainly a large difference in terms of sharkfin

📸 Ama.m_photo

https://i.imgur.com/zy1uEPa.jpeg
Article talks about the engine cover comparison and clarified that the spec 1, trimmed engine cover is the one that will be in use for the season

And they also talk about the car being able to run higher wings without balance issues unlike the sf-23. Which means tyre wear can be better and drs effect can be greater

Looks like due to cost cap they decided to invest in new rear wings rather than new rear suspension.

wowgr8
wowgr8

organic wrote:
I thought the wing looked small from the side/.75 angle but from this thumbnail it looks huge. Close to full size

Farnborough
Farnborough

The rear suspension IS new, to not understand this shows significant lack of knowledge as to what they've worked on.

The rear wing is now exposed to fundamental change in upstream airflow....this from moving the side impact lower provision and opening the volume of air going through that space between the floor top and sidepod underside, ultimately making the entire rear flow architecture conform to new design direction.
The NEW rear suspension has been designed to optimum in enhancing underfloor flow volume/strategy, also feeding into difference in rear wing provision to accommodate these considerable developments.

Vanja #66

There's very little change in upstream flow for rear wing, all of it is in the airbox/Halo level and above. The reason behind the redesign is DRS effectiveness, this has been confirmed by the team. I would say it's also meant to "drive" the beam wing in a bit different manner than 22/23 cars did. The new RW range will be designed in the same manner as Spa 23 low-df wing, which was also combined with a single-piece beam wing:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

wowgr8
wowgr8

Interesting that they're back to curving the bottom of the DRS flap, this was a big factor in their DRS weakness at the beginning of 2022, which they began to fix with the Austria spec wing that year where the flap was made as big as possible, why would they then go back to curving the bottom edge like that and reducing the flap size?

FDD
FDD

Cover specifications used in Fiorano

SharkY
SharkY

wowgr8 wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:19
why would they then go back to curving the bottom edge like that and reducing the flap size?
Is it reduced, though? With the shape of the wing that they chose (higly convex in the middle) the cord length of the DRS flap is more or less proportional to the cord length of the entire wing along the wingspan. To make the flap flat, they'd have to reduce its size, as I doubt there's room to increase the cord legth at the wingtips.

BTW this is a Rear Wing and as always there will be several iterations for different tracks.

FDD
FDD

bagajohny wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 12:51
organic wrote:
organic wrote:
Better quality comparison photos of the two different engine covers run in the filming day

I believe most of the difference in appearance is due to lighting, but there's certainly a large difference in terms of sharkfin

📸 Ama.m_photo

Article talks about the engine cover comparison and clarified that the spec 1, trimmed engine cover is the one that will be in use for the season

And they also talk about the car being able to run higher wings without balance issues unlike the sf-23. Which means tyre wear can be better and drs effect can be greater

Looks like due to cost cap they decided to invest in new rear wings rather than new rear suspension.
But they also redesigned the rear suspension.

Ced
Ced

organic wrote:
organic wrote:

📸 Ama.m_photo

That RW looks a bit like the one redbull used to run in bahrain the last two years..

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FDD wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 15:43

https://formu1a.uno/wp-content/uploads/ ... -white.jpg
What would be the purpose of this? Yaw control? Generating downwash from the departure angle of the fin?

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
FDD wrote:

What would be the purpose of this? Yaw control? Generating downwash from the departure angle of the fin?
Shark fins help the car turning

Muramasa666

FDD wrote:

Can a more pronounced shark fin increase the wind sensitivity of the car?

bagajohny
bagajohny

dialtone wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 18:04
AR3-GP wrote:
FDD wrote:

How do they help in turning?

dialtone
dialtone

bagajohny wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 19:25
dialtone wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 18:04
AR3-GP wrote:
How do they help in turning?

Good explanation.