2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ison-2024/

It's not all that surprising that the new McLaren's exterior is very similar to the old one. McLaren had already freed itself from the birth defects of its car last year with two major upgrades and based its aerodynamics on Red Bull. The fourth place in the World Cup had done much more preparatory work in 2023 than Mercedes or Ferrari. That's why the difference compared to last year isn't that big visually.

McLaren also relies on the fact that everyone's development curve flattens the longer a regulation remains stable. “With the exception of Red Bull, it was tighter than ever last year,” recalls Norris. Stella is already seeing the first signs of rapprochement: "The shapes of the cars are becoming more and more similar. The lap time is now in the details and in the few millimeters between the car and the road."
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

I'm also looking forward to shots of things like the cooling solution, one of the bigger contributors towards drag.

-Bandit

mwillems

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1044307/1 ... g-blunders

Lando Norris reveals “mental” improvements to cut out qualifying blunders
"Lando Norris has spoken about how he's tackled his inconsistent F1 qualifying form over the winter break."

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

Since redbull will use a Frankenstein car until Japan to bring zeropods this is the opportunity for mclaren to win the 3 first races

mwillems

A bold suggestion 😉

-Bandit

organic

Venturiation wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 09:33
Since redbull will use a Frankenstein car until Japan to bring zeropods this is the opportunity for mclaren to win the 3 first races
Can you stop parading this about like fact across the whole site? It's one article's speculation and good info contradicts it.

McLaren have a good chance to be there on merit regardless of rb's mysterious pods or not. They only need to find 3-4 tenths more in winter than RB. McLaren and their fans probably wouldn't be satisfied to just nick 3 wins before another team brought the "real" car anyway

mwillems

Aside from the zeropod nonsense, I think it comes down to CFD eyes again. Most sensible folk would dismiss such posts visually assessing the relative speeds of the cars as nonsense.

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 09:49
Aside from the zeropod nonsense, I think it comes down to CFD eyes again. Most sensible folk would dismiss such posts visually assessing the relative speeds of the cars as nonsense.
this ^^ I suspect its Gary Anderson again :lol:

mwillems

Gary has a lot of accounts here

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

MTudor
MTudor

My god,the championship is not even started and yet,people are "seeing things" 😂😂😂

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 08:09
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1044307/1 ... g-blunders

Lando Norris reveals “mental” improvements to cut out qualifying blunders
"Lando Norris has spoken about how he's tackled his inconsistent F1 qualifying form over the winter break."
Stake in the ground - I believe Lando potentially has a higher ceiling than Charles although they share the trait of committing errors. Although nobody, least of all Lando, will admit it but the pressure of an extremely quick rookie teammate has to weigh on the mind. As the senior driver, Lando will be automatically assuming the position of getting the team's best results, and for the most part, he did. Looking at the disparity in the championship points, while a crude measure, shows the gap between Lando and Oscar. This year it is all but certain that the gap, particularly in races, will close considerably. The series of overdriving errors that Lando produced in the last half of the year in qualifying were costly and by his own admission weighed heavily on his mind. Sports psychology should be of great benefit to a young driver and Lando appears to be the ideal candidate. By contrast, Oscar seems to have ice in his system and he coped well with any pressure that came his way.

mwillems

I'd say that Lando is a master when it comes to the races now. Probably not on a par with Verstappen or Hamilton yet but not much behind. He knows how to get fast laps, fight with his elbows, and still manage the tyres. His Qualifying is good, it's just those times when trying to bite off more than you can chew loses you more than you were going to gain.

The confidence of getting a few poles or even wins will iron that out as much as anything Lando can do for himself. But those margins might be so tight between the cars that the drivers can make a difference again, it's important he doesn't squander his opportunities.

Brand new season, brand new chances, and it all starts tomorrow.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag
Emag

Tomsky wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:44
https://i.imgur.com/1XLnRUA.jpeg
Interesting choice not opting to get a single set of the softer compounds. I understand those are not run in Bahrain during the race weekend, but I thought you would still bolt a set on and see how the car behaves just for some extra data.