2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: Red Bull RB20

organic wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:19
-wkst- wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:03
Helmut Marko said yesterday in a longer interview with Servus TV the following:

about the influence of the drivers:
Drivers give their input, where are the weak points, where are the strong points, which things we should develop for the new car, but that's all.
In the optics (the new car) was a surprise, maybe the others didn't recreate the latest car...smiling...
It's more as an evolution, it's a little revolution. The launch car is the basis of the 2024 car. In the simulations and in the tunnel it worked good, but also Mercedes had good numbers, in reality it didn't work. So we will see at the track if we can use this solution.
interesting that they looked at the solutions of Mercedes in 2022 and 2023 (moderator asked)
That's logical, the better the less drag. Adrian Newey would want a car without radiators...We don't have it as extreme (as the Merc solution), but the idea is similar.
He says the solution "all worked very well" in the simulator/wind tunnel not just good! And that it's "more than an evolution - it is a small revolution"

Link to interview

Link to article with some transcript of the interview
RB must have gotten rid of those air to air intercoolers to even get close to a Merc style solution.

He also says. "And we'll see now in the tests if we can successfully implement this solution, or let's say a similar solution (to the Merc of old)". Makes me think we'll see quite an extensive upgrade to launch spec already in the test.

-wkst-
-wkst-

organic wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

Drivers give their input, where are the weak points, where are the strong points, which things we should develop for the new car, but that's all.
In the optics (the new car) was a surprise, maybe the others didn't recreate the latest car...smiling...
It's more as an evolution, it's a little revolution. The launch car is the basis of the 2024 car. In the simulations and in the tunnel it worked good, but also Mercedes had good numbers, in reality it didn't work. So we will see at the track if we can use this solution.
interesting that they looked at the solutions of Mercedes in 2022 and 2023 (moderator asked)
That's logical, the better the less drag. Adrian Newey would want a car without radiators...We don't have it as extreme (as the Merc solution), but the idea is similar.
He says the solution "all worked very well" in the simulator/wind tunnel not just good! And that it's "more than an evolution - it is a small revolution"

Link to interview

Ok, very good. What a mistake. :P
Also "that" instead of "as" in the evolution-revolution part, just some little tranlsation difficulties for me.

But as one of a few guys here I am from Austria and, listening to Marko for several years, I know HOW he says and means things. He was very fast to add the "but at Mercedes it didn't work" - so he is cautious about this topic. Less cautious that he couldn't resist to mock the opponents with the "sorry, you copied just our old design".

organic

-wkst- wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:45
organic wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

Link to interview

Also "that" instead of "as" in the evolution-revolution part, just some little tranlsation difficulties for me.

But as one of a few guys here I am from Austria and, listening to Marko for several years, I know HOW he says and means things. He was very fast to add the "but at Mercedes it didn't work" - so he is cautious about this topic. Less cautious that he couldn't resist to mock the opponents with the "sorry, you copied just our old design".
No no I appreciate the info ofc :lol: :P

The latter part is just what you get with Marko isn't it. I feel he would take any opportunity to mock regardless of how good the team feels

Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Helmut Marko: Red Bull RB20 "is more than an evolution"
In an interview with ServusTV, Helmut Marko has now officially confirmed that Red Bull has gone in a similar direction with the sidepods as Mercedes in the past. "It's more than an evolution. It's a small revolution," said Marko about the RB20.

This year's solution is "not as extreme" as Mercedes' in the past, he emphasizes, but also admits that "the idea is similar" to that of the team from Brackley back then.

In the simulator and in the wind tunnel, "it all worked very well", he emphasizes, but also warns against the negative example of Mercedes, because: "They were also convinced by the data of their side box-less concept. In practice, it didn't work at all."

"And we will now see in the tests whether we can successfully implement this solution, or let's say a similar solution," says Marko, who emphasizes that the concept that Mercedes tried out two years ago is completely logical in theory.

After all, the bottom line is simply to have "less air resistance". Marko explains with a grin: "Adrian Newey always preferred cars without radiators. But of course the engine people can't do that. But it is logical."

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... n-24022004

-wkst-
-wkst-

organic wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:48
-wkst- wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:45
organic wrote:

Link to interview

No no I appreciate the info ofc :lol: :P

The latter part is just what you get with Marko isn't it. I feel he would take any opportunity to mock regardless of how good the team feels
I would not say that he mocks others regardless the form of RBR. In the years RBR wasn't first, or this year in Singapore, when he recognized they won't be competitive as usual, he is way more reserved and calm. But the more he/the team gets the upper hand, the more cynical he gets. He's like a typical old man from Austrian, a lot of people here would say...

Furthermore it's a lot different if he talks to foreign press, or Austria/german press, where he can express himself exactly the way he wants.
Last edited by -wkst- on 20 Feb 2024, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Intriguing…

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The anticipation is killing me :lol:

chrisc90

Mercedes: “zeropods don’t work”

Adrian Newey: “Hold my beer”

Venturiation
Venturiation

if zeropds didn't work for mercedes i see them having the same problem with the W15 if the real problem from the beginning was something else
and redbull didn't have that problem with the old concept

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:39
if zeropds didn't work for mercedes i see them having the same problem with the W15 if the real problem from the beginning was something else
Marko says the solution is not as extreme as Mercedes.

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:41
Venturiation wrote:
yes but mercedes when trying to fix their problems must have tried a less extreme version, they've been working on this since 2021
the problem must be somewhere else

Cs98
Cs98

Venturiation wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:42
AR3-GP wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
yes but mercedes when trying to fix their problems must have tried a less extreme version, they've been working on this since 2021
It's the drivers.

organic

Venturiation wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
All he said was the ideas are similar to mercedes. With respect to the engine cover, vertical inlet and overbite you can already say this is true without needing a dramatic zeropod.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

AR3-GP wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
You’d think some is kept to at least part allow the front of the pod to manage airflow. Particularly relevant in yaw

Venturiation
Venturiation

organic wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:45
Venturiation wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

All he said was the ideas are similar to mercedes. With respect to the engine cover, vertical inlet and overbite you can already say this is true without needing a dramatic zeropod.
he is talking about sidepods

Helmut Marko has now officially confirmed that Red Bull has gone in a similar direction with the sidepods as Mercedes in the past. "It's more than an evolution. It's a small revolution," said Marko about the RB20