2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

No glory runs then🤣
Just a fan's point of view

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Tomsky wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:44
https://i.imgur.com/1XLnRUA.jpeg
I understand not taking c5, but then why take this many c1?
C1 are never used in qualifying and not that much in races, while C4 are used for both... doesn't make much sense, but I guess they know what they are doing.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

There will be a reason. Maybe they’re working on specifics here. Last year the performance wasn’t good on hards at high fuel loads. We seemed to suffer in slow speed/long radius way more than others

PhillipM
PhillipM

Long run data is far more important, some teams take a set of the softs just for the driver to get used to the feel more than anything data driven.
And yes, to answer the earlier speculation, I still read the forums regularly, but as with others I'm no longer engaging or commenting, mainly due to what was already mentioned.

Team's pretty happy, car has been built fairly modular again this year, and yes as spotted the sidepod inlets can be changed out (it seems they aren't the only team to consider this either, cooling is getting so marginal with the engines/coolant running hotter, probably see a few teams with inlet options as well as outlets this year) so small upgrades more often than other teams, first set of 'bigger' parts won't be till japan afaik, but they must be expecting to tweak the floor edges because they've been knocking out printed parts to stick on for testing all last week.

And no, they're not expecting to win the first 3 races while RB sort their car out, don't get too carried away...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:39
Long run data is far more important, some teams take a set of the softs just for the driver to get used to the feel more than anything data driven.
And yes, to answer the earlier speculation, I still read the forums regularly, but as with others I'm no longer engaging or commenting, mainly due to what was already mentioned.

Team's pretty happy, car has been built fairly modular again this year, and yes as spotted the sidepod inlets can be changed out (it seems they aren't the only team to consider this either, cooling is getting so marginal with the engines/coolant running hotter, probably see a few teams with inlet options as well as outlets this year) so small upgrades more often than other teams, first set of 'bigger' parts won't be till japan afaik, but they must be expecting to tweak the floor edges because they've been knocking out printed parts to stick on for testing all last week.

And no, they're not expecting to win the first 3 races while RB sort their car out, don't get too carried away...
Nice to see you, mate.

De Wet

PhillipM wrote:

Thanks... Nice to hear from you... 8)

_cerber1

PhillipM wrote:

Thanks for the information, we appreciate every word =D>

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:

Good to hear from you mate, glad you're alright.

As for that last part. Unless one of the other top 5 teams has had an incredible winter, I doubt anyone should expect to beat RedBull from the get go in 2024.

I think the target for most (but in particular, the teams that switched concepts) would be to slowly close the gap with upgrades throughout the year, hoping the gap is not big initially to start competing with RB as soon as possible.

I just hope McLaren will be part of this group and get their first victory in a while at some point this season.

If anyone is expecting them to challenge for the championship, I think they're delirious on hopium.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:

Good to read from you PhilipM, hoping for a great season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Venturiation
Venturiation

PhillipM wrote:

nice to see you back

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

McLarenMor wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:18
Tomsky wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:44
https://i.imgur.com/1XLnRUA.jpeg
I understand not taking c5, but then why take this many c1?
C1 are never used in qualifying and not that much in races, while C4 are used for both... doesn't make much sense, but I guess they know what they are doing.
Bahrain is high degradation. If you want to work on validating various components, you want your tyres to be steady and last long. Having more C1 allows them to do more back to back comparisons without tyres falling off Or at least that is my guess.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:

Indeed it is great to have you back… any idea what, or even if McLaren are hiding anything with the front suspension layout, or are they just playing the game?

trinidefender
trinidefender

PhillipM wrote:

As all the others have said, it is nice to see you back commenting. We really appreciate the information.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

PhillipM wrote:

Thanks for commenting.

BMMR61

PhillipM wrote:

Great to have your inside line and to have you back, especially at this exciting time.