2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:39
Long run data is far more important, some teams take a set of the softs just for the driver to get used to the feel more than anything data driven.
And yes, to answer the earlier speculation, I still read the forums regularly, but as with others I'm no longer engaging or commenting, mainly due to what was already mentioned.

Team's pretty happy, car has been built fairly modular again this year, and yes as spotted the sidepod inlets can be changed out (it seems they aren't the only team to consider this either, cooling is getting so marginal with the engines/coolant running hotter, probably see a few teams with inlet options as well as outlets this year) so small upgrades more often than other teams, first set of 'bigger' parts won't be till japan afaik, but they must be expecting to tweak the floor edges because they've been knocking out printed parts to stick on for testing all last week.

And no, they're not expecting to win the first 3 races while RB sort their car out, don't get too carried away...
Lovely to see you mate! As always, many thanks for a sensible and honest update!

MrGapes

Am: Oscar
Pm: Lando

Am: Oscar
Pm: Lando

Am: Lando
Pm: Oscar

Darth-Piekus

Mercedes's front wing is fully legal after all. I wonder if we have anything as radical on the works.

CjC
CjC

If it’s legal and works with the package- every top team will have a front wing like it by summer
Just a fan's point of view

MTudor
MTudor

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:39
Long run data is far more important, some teams take a set of the softs just for the driver to get used to the feel more than anything data driven.
And yes, to answer the earlier speculation, I still read the forums regularly, but as with others I'm no longer engaging or commenting, mainly due to what was already mentioned.

Team's pretty happy, car has been built fairly modular again this year, and yes as spotted the sidepod inlets can be changed out (it seems they aren't the only team to consider this either, cooling is getting so marginal with the engines/coolant running hotter, probably see a few teams with inlet options as well as outlets this year) so small upgrades more often than other teams, first set of 'bigger' parts won't be till japan afaik, but they must be expecting to tweak the floor edges because they've been knocking out printed parts to stick on for testing all last week.

And no, they're not expecting to win the first 3 races while RB sort their car out, don't get too carried away...

Nice to see you 👌👌👌

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 00:19
If it’s legal and works with the package- every top team will have a front wing like it by summer
It is not as "groundbreaking" as it looks.

Yes, it tries to bring back the y-250 vortex, but because of the wing profile of the new cars, and the legality wire, it wont be able to generate a vortex that is comparable in strength to previous era cars.

I think a bigger talking point might be the flexing of that top element, because it's being supported by a very thin wire.

MTudor
MTudor

McLarenMor wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 15:18
Tomsky wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 14:44
https://i.imgur.com/1XLnRUA.jpeg
I understand not taking c5, but then why take this many c1?
C1 are never used in qualifying and not that much in races, while C4 are used for both... doesn't make much sense, but I guess they know what they are doing.

We are testing here for the whole season,not just for a race and it's much more relevant to see the car how's beheaving with a heavy car and on long runs,not so much,on short stints.

Cs98
Cs98

Emag wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 00:25
CjC wrote:
It is not as "groundbreaking" as it looks.

Yes, it tries to bring back the y-250 vortex, but because of the wing profile of the new cars, and the legality wire, it wont be able to generate a vortex that is comparable in strength to previous era cars.

I think a bigger talking point might be the flexing of that top element, because it's being supported by a very thin wire.
Nor do you have the bargeboards to manage that vortex precisely. For sure it might be useful, but I don't see it being defining.

zeroday

CjC wrote:
Technically, this wing could be copied by summer but let's not forget that the rest of Merc's car would have also been specially designed to benefit from this unique front wing, which the other teams can't so easily duplicate so quickly, at least not by summer.

CjC
CjC

Yes.. I should have said works with ‘their’ package :wink:
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

Comparing data across to MCL60 might be slightly more difficult because it was the initial spec rather than upgraded spec...still I think onboards would be quite interesting.

I think these could be some good aspects to analyze...

- rotation and rear stability on exit of 4

- rotation and traction through 8
- trail braking and stability through 9-10

These two imo will be the most important to see progress ^^^

- rotation or min speed. through 13 and 14

Macklaren
Macklaren

Time to build the hype... Bet they will beat their quali lap from Bahrain last year by the end of this test

organic

Papaya spotted

_cerber1

Looks like they're getting ready for a racing simulation. Red Bull always does this by devoting the first day of testing to long distances.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 08:13
Looks like they're getting ready for a racing simulation. Red Bull always does this by devoting the first day of testing to long distances.
Too early for racing simulations, today will be:

Aero Correlation
Setup a Baseline
Change of setup analysis: (changes to ride heights, suspension settings, differential settings, etc)
Changes to engine modes (deployment, torque settings, etc)
Driving to a lap time, impact of changes and car behavior under different fuel loads
Back to baseline probably to validate impact of setting changes
Maybe some aero parts testing

I would be very surprised if there is anything resembling a performance run in the first day… Today is all about systems check, stressing the car / parts, learning about the new platform