2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Alonso little bit of graining on the rear

MichaelxScarn
MichaelxScarn

Hey Guys, been reading on here for the last couple of years but only now decided to register. This forum been a constant companion over the weekends and the off-season. Really enjoy your knowledge and 'insider'-infos. Been following F1 since Alonsos Minardi days, through the glorious and the, well, not so glorious times. Just feels like a dream, having him in a car, in which he possibly can win races on merit.

So, cheers and let's enjoy the tests and hope for the start of the season :D

-wkst-
-wkst-

I also find this statements from him interesting:
“At the start of last season, we felt that we were weak in high-speed corners so we put a lot of effort into putting downforce on the car for high-speed corners, but ultimately that didn't make the car much faster because we ended up narrowing the operating window.
"You have to decide whether you maximise your downforce in a very small ride height window, or whether you broaden that ride height window to enable the car to perform better mechanically at more circuits and more corner types, but not maximise the downforce."
It's pretty clear, regarding the second quote, in which direction they try to go this year.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Quite a bit of degradation so far

K1Plus
K1Plus

Aston Martin's goal for this year should be to fight with the what Toto mentioned as the "chasing group," realistically. Maybe McLaren and Ferrari could challenge for wins, as per Charles's expectations and Zak Brown's ambitions, but for Aston Martin and Mercedes, they realistically need high points and occasional podiums.

KimiRai
KimiRai

K1Plus wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:38
Aston Martin's goal for this year should be to fight with the what Toto mentioned as the "chasing group," realistically. Maybe McLaren and Ferrari could challenge for wins, as per Charles's expectations and Zak Brown's ambitions, but for Aston Martin and Mercedes, they realistically need high points and occasional podiums.
Stroll Sr. said goal is improve from 5th place

organic

Car looked great this morning

Has good ride and handling so far

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

organic wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:17
Car looked great this morning

Has good ride and handling so far
Yes I also surprised, how stable was Aston from the beginning of the test. The only car on track what was look.like pulling on the strings. I mean what I seen Redbull was all over the place ,seems like they rear instability again a problem the Mercedes doesn't look good,the McLaren jumping, bottoming like crazy on the straights, the Ferrari a bit better but also jumping and at exit a bit nervous which surprises me ,because last year this was their advantage.

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:39
Motorsport Italy says 3 things (mind it's a google translation):

- Aston Martin brought a major modification of the sidepod (awaiting images)

- The feeling is that the car was born right and as soon as it was on track it immediately showed potential.

- Aston Martin is the only one on the grid that has no gills along the surface of the engine cover, venting only at the tail.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10578210/

xReVo
xReVo

KimiRai wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:40
K1Plus wrote:
After 8 podiums last year, this year's goal is to win and they know it too. Finishing fourth, third or second changes nothing and is not considered an objective by any serious team.

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 15:27
KimiRai wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:40
K1Plus wrote:
After 8 podiums last year, this year's goal is to win and they know it too. Finishing fourth, third or second changes nothing and is not considered an objective by any serious team.
agreed

auem123
auem123

Are they bolting new floor? Stroll has not been out for ages...

-wkst-
-wkst-

auem123 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 15:59
Are they bolting new floor? Stroll has not been out for ages...
Don't think so, he is out again. In my opinion he doesn't seem very comfortable so far, even locking up in a cool down/in lap. Therefor changes a lot.

Alo_Fan

I wonder if the Merc rear suspension isn't very good, I remember Fallows giving a comment at launch about being forced to use it and Williams interesting opted to use last years suspension over the new Merc one. The Merc and Aston rear end is very similar in parts, and both teams haven't looked great yet.

organic

Alo_Fan wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 16:44
I wonder if the Merc rear suspension isn't very good, I remember Fallows giving a comment at launch about being forced to use it and Williams interesting opted to use last years suspension over the new Merc one. The Merc and Aston rear end is very similar in parts, and both teams haven't looked great yet.
Aston Martin looked good in the morning IMO. And you can't boil down the car's performance to one component