McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: McLaren MCL38

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

I saw it live the last run before the break with the flowviz and there were almost no spillage over the sidepods. Just a smudge

Our small wing works like Merc 22 car

michl420
michl420

f1rules wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:46
do we have a small double keel like in the good old days :-)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2uK71XMAA ... name=large
I "saw" that too. A reason could be of course a better kinematic, but with the new moved back steering arm it creates a nice three element downwash "wing" right in front of the floor entrance. And on top there is a very low and rearward suspension leg from the upper wishbone.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Well, looked at both the broadcast and here in the photos: the bottom edge has changed in an evolutionary way. I didn't see anything unusual. Among the things that stand out is the rear upper arm of the front suspension is strongly pulled back closer to the side pontoons, as well as the position of the steering link. The geometry of the diffuser has changed slightly compared to last year. Otherwise, we can see a general evolution of the chassis and aerodynamics. Nothing out of the ordinary.

stewie325
stewie325

Very interesting how the air separates in two directions around the rear-most suspension arm.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

stewie325 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:44
Very interesting how the air separates in two directions around the rear-most suspension arm.
Magic vortex generation. 😁

michl420
michl420

Whats that second (suspension?) element right in front of the push rod/have damper mounting point?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2wxU3XAAA ... =4096x4096

f1rules
f1rules

:D

Honestly i think the car from my armchair looks good with many optimized areas. Last year they already had one of the best cars aerodynamicly, maybe not drag, but df and almost equal to rb in high speed

The 38 builds on that and with the following goals, according to mclaren. Less drag, better mech grip, better tyre interaction

So based on that they have

> More agressive undercut
> Pod wing, the only team with that
> Significant smaller(width) airbox inlet which should help flow to the rear making it more effective
> Derived from this, I think they moved a bit of center cooling to the sidepods, maybe for lower COG
> Deep sidepod channels like most
> Heavily updated rear suspension and according to amus change in rear spring design and definitly more anti dive
> Heavily updated front suspension with more anti dive. Im no suspension expert, but conventional and conservative i get the sensation, its definitly not. Just hope it works :-) as its almost impossible to change in season

So honestly, if this car works as intended, it could be a good season

venkyhere
venkyhere

Is this the 2024 car ? how come the sponsor on sidepod inlet changed from 'VUSE' to 'VELO' ?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

venkyhere wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:10
Is this the 2024 car ? how come the sponsor on sidepod inlet changed from 'VUSE' to 'VELO' ?
Both Vuse and Velo are subbrands of British American Tobacco (remember BAR?).

Depending on location they change the brand to what better suits them.

Farnborough
Farnborough

michl420 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:56
Whats that second (suspension?) element right in front of the push rod/have damper mounting point?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2wxU3XAAA ... =4096x4096
Hard to tell from that image angle and without a correlating (different angle image) but LOOKS like a static external brace that could be taking load from different arm locations.

There's many links tagged onto that initial push/pull input on these, anti roll, heave spring, heave damper, the torsion spring itself, conventional individual wheel damper etc.

Amazing packaging in all of them, but detail appreciation slightly difficult without a good multi faceted view of them in clear sight.

All fascinating to see how the design team incorporate these parts.

f1rules
f1rules

f1rules
f1rules

amus highlighted

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:04
:D

Honestly i think the car from my armchair looks good with many optimized areas. Last year they already had one of the best cars aerodynamicly, maybe not drag, but df and almost equal to rb in high speed

The 38 builds on that and with the following goals, according to mclaren. Less drag, better mech grip, better tyre interaction

So based on that they have

> More agressive undercut
> Pod wing, the only team with that
> Significant smaller(width) airbox inlet which should help flow to the rear making it more effective
> Derived from this, I think they moved a bit of center cooling to the sidepods, maybe for lower COG
> Deep sidepod channels like most
> Heavily updated rear suspension and according to amus change in rear spring design and definitly more anti dive
> Heavily updated front suspension with more anti dive. Im no suspension expert, but conventional and conservative i get the sensation, its definitly not. Just hope it works :-) as its almost impossible to change in season

So honestly, if this car works as intended, it could be a good season
By the way @f1rules, thanks for all the great pics so far, really appreciated 👍
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

Thanks, no prob :-)