2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

cliffgamerz wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:39
All the people think RedBull will dominate because Max put in a time 1 sec ahead of everyone, the real reason he was 1 sec ahead of everyone was because today was the only day he gets to do a representative qualy lap at late evening since tomorrow Perez is driving whole day and Friday he gets the morning run, the conditions of qualifying was only possible for him today, tomorrow we an expect many drivers run qualy runs before doing Race runs like we always get. We will get McLaren qualy pace from Oscar tomorrow and that's vital for us to know where McLaren stands
I agree your note about Max, but tomorrow Perez is in the morning and on Friday Perez has the whole day. So not fully accurate. I do think that Max is able to extract more from the car quicker. Another positive for him is that he did not switch seats today so it meant he could work on his setup and line the whole day. On the contrary, most other teams switched their drivers which meant setups had to be reworked and drivers had to learn the new cars as well.

Still it is very likely that Red Bull still have a decent cushion, but I would expect the gap to be much smaller then what the timing screen showed.

It will be very interesting to see if Perez is able to look as dominant as Verstappen.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Luscion wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 19:29
Not sure how to interpret this, but I feel that having high % of full throttle talks well of the car. It would indicate lower power mode and lot of downforce.

Marc.W

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 22:26
Not sure how to interpret this, but I feel that having high % of full throttle talks well of the car. It would indicate lower power mode and lot of downforce.
I'm not sure, to me less braking and more accelerating means it was more of a hot/push lap, but Norris spends longer in the corners than Max and Daniel indicating a lower minimum speed.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Interesting site to compare laps. https://www.f1-tempo.com/

If you compare VER and NOR you get a constant time loss throughout the lap for NOR. It worsens on braking but then NOR claws back a little bit of loss at the start of the corner exit. I would assume that means a different way of approaching the corner. Maybe because they used to have to do a V for the corners, you get on power a bit earlier but lose overall.

If you compare VER and SAI he loses to VER mostly in the corners. There is some loss on straights/acceleration zone but mainly corners.

Great website to play around with.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

One more thing to note is that Norris did his fastest lap on his 5th real lap so his setup couldn't have been very good or Lando really dialed in. After that they did long runs with no real push laps.

RIC for example did hot lapping the whole session.
SAI did twice as much hot lapping than Lando.

I think the team looks good compared to rivals. VER is an obvious outlier as he was doing a mix of hot laps then a bit of longer running and then again hot laps.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 21 Feb 2024, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Oscar was setting the car up all morning, ready for Lando to do some longer runs.

For all we know, the car is rubbish. Or... the team are hiding a ton of pace and are sandbagging.

I doubt it is either of those things to be honest. I suspect the team came into the session with their deltas already planned and are just minding their own business, being careful not to push the car too much to ensure they don't lose any testing time.

Doesn't mean they aren't fast (or slow), just means we can't possibly know what they are up to and that second guessing it all doesn't really work.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:22
Oscar was setting the car up all morning, ready for Lando to do some longer runs.

For all we know, the car is rubbish. Or... the team are hiding a ton of pace and are sandbagging.

I doubt it is either of those things to be honest. I suspect the team came into the session with their deltas already planned and are just minding their own business, being careful not to push the car too much to ensure they don't lose any testing time.

Doesn't mean they aren't fast (or slow), just means we can't possibly know what they are up to and that second guessing it all doesn't really work.
If Oscar was setting the car up, that would have been for himself though. Surely Norris would have gotten inside and maybe preferred some changes.

f1rules
f1rules

one more mentioning understeer, its a new geometri and can take some dialing in

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-testin ... mpressions

Sieper

mwillems wrote:
Why do you always post these kind of things. Is there a special need to always discredit Lando achieving anything under his own steam? It really irks me. These guys are both very good drivers and I am sure they are BOTH just running the program.

mwillems

Sieper wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:35
mwillems wrote:
Why do you always post these kind of things. Is there a special need to always discredit Lando achieving anything under his own steam? It really irks me. These guys are both very good drivers and I am sure they are BOTH just running the program.
Nothing in my post discredited him, your interpretation is over the top. They are driving the same car. The team said that Oscar was doing setup in the morning. I stated fact that he didn't get into a car that wasn't set up.

As for undermining Lando, a recent previous post spoke about him being one of the best race day guys on the grid.

You apply your own lens to my words, that's not my issue, take it elsewhere.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Feb 2024, 23:50, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:24
mwillems wrote:

If Oscar was setting the car up, that would have been for himself though. Surely Norris would have gotten inside and maybe preferred some changes.
I would think at this point it is getting it in the general direction, not fine tuning for one or another.

Point though is that the knowledge from the morning informed Landos setup.

At this point the car won't be set up for either of them, not until they learn more about the car.

-Bandit

Sieper

mwillems wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:45
Sieper wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Nothing in my post discredited him, your interpretation is quite odd. They are driving the same car. The team said that Oscar was doing setup in the morning. I stated fact that he didn't get into a car that wasn't set up.

As for undermining Lando, a recent previous post spoke about him being one of the best race day guys on the grid.

You apply your own lens to my words, that's not my issue.
No, I am sorry but you really said “for” Lando. You didn’t just leave it at Oscar doing set-up work.

mwillems

Sieper wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:51
mwillems wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Nothing in my post discredited him, your interpretation is quite odd. They are driving the same car. The team said that Oscar was doing setup in the morning. I stated fact that he didn't get into a car that wasn't set up.

No, I am sorry but you really said “for” Lando. You didn’t just leave it at Oscar doing set-up work.
What did Lando achieve? There's nothing to be taken away from him, it's day one of testing. Get a grip.

-Bandit

mwillems

Sieper wrote:
mwillems wrote:
My opinions have always been honest and unbiased, it's not my issue if you don't like them. Though I will remind you of what I wrote 24 hours ago.
mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 13:00
I'd say that Lando is a master when it comes to the races now. Probably not on a par with Verstappen or Hamilton yet but not much behind. He knows how to get fast laps, fight with his elbows, and still manage the tyres. His Qualifying is good, it's just those times when trying to bite off more than you can chew loses you more than you were going to gain.

The confidence of getting a few poles or even wins will iron that out as much as anything Lando can do for himself. But those margins might be so tight between the cars that the drivers can make a difference again, it's important he doesn't squander his opportunities.

Brand new season, brand new chances, and it all starts tomorrow.

-Bandit

Sieper

mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:01
Sieper wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:51
mwillems wrote:

What did Lando achieve? There's nothing to be taken away from him, it's day one of testing. Get a grip.
What do his achievements have to do with one day of testing. Get a grip yourself.