2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Sieper wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:14
mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:01
Sieper wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:51

No, I am sorry but you really said “for” Lando. You didn’t just leave it at Oscar doing set-up work.
What did Lando achieve? There's nothing to be taken away from him, it's day one of testing. Get a grip.
What do his achievements have to do with one day of testing. Get a grip yourself.
You've lost me totally now, you mentioned me taking his achievements away from him :mrgreen: . "For" does not imply servitude or inequality unless you specifically go looking for it and if you do that, it's probably not there... wink wink. I do things for people all the time as I'm sure you do.

This conversation has gone too far, a long time ago.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

trinidefender wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:48
Mostlyeels wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:33
Quotes from the AMuS article in the testing thread:
  • Marko estimates RB20 lead is 3 tenths
  • Shovlin estimates Merc, McLaren, Ferrari, Aston all very close, Red Bull has a nose in front
Can you point to the article please? I looked but couldn’t find it.
Sorry, the OP didn't have a link, just a quoted translation. It's on page 29 of the testing thread, poster is stonehenge.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Slahinki wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 22:05
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:23
Based on the history of the forum and the McLaren’s threads in particular… I doubt it! lol
The McLaren team thread is always a pretty wild ride, I feel. :lol:
Also the Mercedes and Ferrari team threads :)

stonehenge
stonehenge

Mostlyeels wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:28
trinidefender wrote:
Mostlyeels wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:33
Quotes from the AMuS article in the testing thread:
  • Marko estimates RB20 lead is 3 tenths
  • Shovlin estimates Merc, McLaren, Ferrari, Aston all very close, Red Bull has a nose in front
Sorry, the OP didn't have a link, just a quoted translation. It's on page 29 of the testing thread, poster is stonehenge.
Oops, forgot the link. It's paywalled though. https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... g-analyse/

Slahinki
Slahinki

Mostlyeels wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:29
Slahinki wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 22:05
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:23
Based on the history of the forum and the McLaren’s threads in particular… I doubt it! lol
The McLaren team thread is always a pretty wild ride, I feel. :lol:
Also the Mercedes and Ferrari team threads :)
Yeah, those two are quite... something too, lmao.

Emag
Emag

stonehenge wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:30
Mostlyeels wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:28
trinidefender wrote:

Oops, forgot the link. It's paywalled though. https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... g-analyse/
There is a way to get around the paywall if you make a curl request to the url and extract the content. But I am not going to explain how to do that, because to be honest, amus deserves the support.

Tomsky
Tomsky

organic

Tomsky wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 02:38
Telemetry with live delta

_cerber1

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

These are just tests. It's too early to read the lap analysis. Verstappen did his best lap when the track conditions were optimal. The road surface is clean, there is enough rubber, optimum conditions in cooler conditions, there is a lot more grip. Lando showed his lap in the first laps of the outing. That's roughly speaking. Then he just switched to working on a long series of laps. Conditions are different, plus by that point, Lando hadn't had time to get used to the new car. Maybe today and tomorrow we'll get tighter results in the same conditions.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:48
These are just tests. It's too early to read the lap analysis. Verstappen did his best lap when the track conditions were optimal. The road surface is clean, there is enough rubber, optimum conditions in cooler conditions, there is a lot more grip. Lando showed his lap in the first laps of the outing. That's roughly speaking. Then he just switched to working on a long series of laps. Conditions are different, plus by that point, Lando hadn't had time to get used to the new car. Maybe today and tomorrow we'll get tighter results in the same conditions.
Max did a lap a couple of minutes after Lando's 1.32.5 that was a 1.31.7. So that was with comparable conditions. However it's obvious that McL are running with lower engine than RB on day 1, and like you say Lando would've been less up to speed

BMMR61

We can wring the data inside out from day 1 but it still doesn't assure anyone we know any better than any fan or pundit. Even the teams will have doubts about their opposition in terms of fuel loads and sandbagging in general. What we can say is the car is reliable and they generated plenty of data. Being slower only than Max is a good start but it doesn't really prove much. Avoid arguments...

BMMR61

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:24
mwillems wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:22
Oscar was setting the car up all morning, ready for Lando to do some longer runs.

For all we know, the car is rubbish. Or... the team are hiding a ton of pace and are sandbagging.

I doubt it is either of those things to be honest. I suspect the team came into the session with their deltas already planned and are just minding their own business, being careful not to push the car too much to ensure they don't lose any testing time.

Doesn't mean they aren't fast (or slow), just means we can't possibly know what they are up to and that second guessing it all doesn't really work.
If Oscar was setting the car up, that would have been for himself though. Surely Norris would have gotten inside and maybe preferred some changes.
It's good that Lando and Oscar have fairly similar setup directions so the afternoon session should have been quite a linear continuum of the earlier setups. Oscar's gentle comment "The car felt reasonable and I would say there are some differences from last year which are moving in the right direction" is promising, in tune with the Stella administration the chat is very chilled and short on hyperbole.

mendis
mendis

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:50
LionsHeart wrote:
Max did a lap a couple of minutes after Lando's 1.32.5 that was a 1.31.7. So that was with comparable conditions. However it's obvious that McL are running with lower engine than RB on day 1, and like you say Lando would've been less up to speed
Top speeds for the fastest laps of Max and Lando.

Max (1.31.344) : S1-239 --- S2-269 --- S3-283 --- SpeedTrap-314
Lando (1.32.484): S1-235 --- S2-266 --- S3-281 --- SpeedTrap-310

Max did his best lap almost 2 hours after Lando's lap, towards the close of the day.

There was another lap that Max did (1.31.662), 15 mins after Lando did his best lap.
Max (1.31.662) : S1-238 --- S2-269 --- S3-282 --- SpeedTrap-315

I would say, the engine modes are similar, based on last year's drag differences between the two. If we assume, McLaren continues to carry a bit more drag than Red Bull, then the top speed differences represent similar engine modes for these quali runs.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:50
LionsHeart wrote:
I was wondering about this, as the RPM trace was quite different (I thought perhaps also different harvesting, but I would've expected RPM to be less bumpy in that case). Also, different gears in some corners, even with comparable speeds?