Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Red Bull RB20

Good overview of the cooling layout:
Small roll hoop fed radiator
V-shaped sidepod radiators
Halo Inlet radiator visible with outlet to the side
via motorsport.com

vorticism

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:52
via motorsport.com

Fantastic, +10. That clears up what the should inlets are for. Lightened:

Afaik this is the first time we've seen a ducted louver panel. Typically they open directly into the large volumes under the engine covers.
Last edited by vorticism on 22 Feb 2024, 02:38, edited 3 times in total.
𓄀

Sieper

You have cut the whole in the air anyway (due to the halo). You use this as a top waterslide (with Venturi effect where the pinch is) You move some cooling out of the way so the gap in front of the diffuser can be bigger, and it introduces some hot air into the downstream along the side flanks which might energize it? A quadruple whammy?

Farnborough
Farnborough

MtthsMlw wrote:
https://cdn.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0 ... etail.webp
via motorsport.com
Good image, looks to have a discrete cooling matrix mounted in the top tube, with it's exit curtailed out through the side slat/vent with no further flow toward rear. Looking like a "vectoring" outlet from aircraft in it's design.

Can't see ultimate detail from that image, but also looks likely the primary radiator located in sidepod may use the latter end of top tube as exit path, aft of that first side exit.

vorticism

Smol bathtub on top of the sidepod.

djos wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 23:07
Henk_v wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:57
Well, the intercooler works with a very high delta T on the intake air. A few degrees of inlet temperature changes relatively little on the intercooler intake air outlet temperature. But still, a lilltle can be a lot in F1...

Engine cooling is much lower dT. There it matters a great deal.
Very true. I know colder temps impact road cars with marginal sized intercoolers, although I don’t know how fine the margins are on F1 cars.

I can’t imagine them wanting to run anything larger than they absolutely need.
>warmer air closer to the track
>they've installed larger intercoolers this year

Guys...

Last edited by vorticism on 22 Feb 2024, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AMUS speculates that the reason for the inlets next to the driver's head is to consume cockpit losses and allow cleaner flow to the rear wing (with a side effect of drag reduction). I don't know if this is correct or not.
A lion must kill its prey.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:AMUS speculates that the reason for the inlets next to the driver's head is to consume cockpit losses and allow cleaner flow to the rear wing (with a side effect of drag reduction). I don't know if this is correct or not.
I wouldn’t be too afraid to bet they read it here and ‘speculated’ :).

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MtthsMlw wrote:
via motorsport.com
Have we ever seen a sidepod cooler layout like this before? The inlet diverges into upper and lower radiator flow paths. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever seen it in recent times.
A lion must kill its prey.

vorticism

Detail of the shoulder duct I edited from a Piola/motorsport.com photo.

𓄀

Apexseal157

vorticism wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 00:18
Smol bathtub on top of the sidepod.

https://i.postimg.cc/DfLYtkG2/rb20-bathtub.jpg

Got to be the shallowest waterslide/bathtub yet, imagining that it's just lowering pressure on the top surface, increasing the pressure differential acting on the pod overall

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 02:15
AMUS speculates that the reason for the inlets next to the driver's head is to consume cockpit losses and allow cleaner flow to the rear wing (with a side effect of drag reduction). I don't know if this is correct or not.
I wouldn't say consumes. More simply I think it's just a good place for an inlet considering the driver helmet, headrest, and halo form the lower three sides of a tunnel that lead directly into this shoulder inlet.
𓄀

mendis
mendis

How many iterations would have taken to get this shape to the desired level? The sidepod intake is quite big from this angle as it has a inward scoop.

Watto
Watto

Be interesting to see what new parts are added in the next few days.

Seems a very very solid platform so far to work off

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 02:25
MtthsMlw wrote:
via motorsport.com
Have we ever seen a sidepod cooler layout like this before? The inlet diverges into upper and lower radiator flow paths. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've ever seen it in recent times.
We have. And very often. Sauber and Ferrari introduced it in 2004 and 2005 and this V-shaped layout was the way to make the undercut area bigger and the sidepods smaller in the mid-00s. At least when we talk about the pure arrangement of the radiators in the sidepods.

Just as the Red Bull sidepod concept is more akin to the floor-wing concept of Nicolo's STR06 than a Zeropod concept. The strength of Adrian Newey's influence on Red Bull's design is less innovation than many people might think. It is rather the incredible range of concepts he has studied and seen over his 40+ years and recognizing which ones are performance differentiators under the respective regulations. Thats Neweys real strength. And how these concepts to the benefit of the car as a whole. You can observe this again and again in his career. And that is very clever, because they are already proven concepts, which means less risk. Whether the blown exhaust, copied from the original solution that was intended for the Ferrari F300 (but didn't work because carbon and heat technology were not yet advanced enough in 1998), the monolithic wishbone, first found on the F2001 and which increases the stiffness and decreases weight and parts of the suspension, or now the V-arrangement of the radiators from the 2004/2005 Sauber/Ferrari, which were already used 20 years ago to make the undercut of the sidepods larger. Younger designers are not familiar with these concepts or have no experience with them, whereas Newey has already used them to some extent or at least studied and tested them in the Windtunnel/CFD, and knows precisely about their effectiveness and benefits. And above all, he knows exactly which of these concepts become performance differentiators under which technical/aerodynamic regulations and harmonizes them with the "whole car". This knowledge and understanding is, in my opinion, what makes the difference between someone like Newey and the "modern" engineers and designers who specialize in certain areas but don't know and understand this wealth of concepts and how they fit together with the rest of the car.
Unfortunately, you can only count such engineers on a few fingers these days. Newey, Oatley (McLaren) and Byrne (who has not been in charge of design since 2006 but only advises and only a few hours a year). They are the last engineers to understand the entire car.

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 02:25
Detail of the shoulder duct I edited from a Piola/motorsport.com photo.

https://i.postimg.cc/xC5DDwkp/rb20-abu- ... d-duct.jpg
Splitting up cooling elements into so many has to come with a decent weight penalty. No doubt aero more than makes up for it. We are witnessing new elementary motorsport design paradigms...

Andi76 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 20:26
Looks absolutely like it. If you look at it from the side, the halo is perfectly integrated into the bazooka area. What you say would then be a great logical next step.
They got us real good there, Andi :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie