2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Wet

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus

A pity that we dont have C4 to do a fast lap but we did beat Max's yesterday lap on the same tyre though I think the tarmac might be faster today

organic

Problems for Norris

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:41
A pity that we dont have C4 to do a fast lap but we did beat Max's yesterday lap on the same tyre though I think the tarmac might be faster today
Ahahaha Take about a half a second from the C3 and you'll get the C4. We are about 8 tenths down, and I don't think we are 8 tenths slower than the Ferrari once everything is equalised, so I suspect that even with a C4 you're not going to get what you want :D

And when I says suspect, I mean you won't get the satisfaction you want until we Qualify!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

genarro
genarro

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:42
Problems for Norris

Is it serious?

organic

genarro wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:53
organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:42
Problems for Norris

https://twitter.com/GiulyDuchessa/statu ... 47536?s=20
Is it serious?
Yeah will limit runtime a lot. They have torches out working deep in engine area. No confirmation from McL on what the problem is

Xero

Lando going back out for last 40 mins, thankfully. Mileage has been poor today, although nothing to worry about.

genarro
genarro

Xero wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 17:28
Lando going back out for last 40 mins, thankfully. Mileage has been poor today, although nothing to worry about.
Lost 1 hour... Not the end of the world. Lets go Lando

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 15:40
Bottoming out makes me think of porpoising, which isn't the case? But, last year the plank noise was also loud on the car.
Bottoming out has somehow become synonymous with both Porpoising and with a stalled floor, so it's a little confusing. There are similarities and a relationship, but it's not really the same.

When Lando crashed on the slight curve at 300kph last year the car was said to have bottomed out on the bump. It did, but with such extreme forces that this caused a stall of the floor when downforce was being used to keep the car pointing in the right direction.

So bottoming out isn't bad necessarily, just means the car is hitting the ground. There's not really any evidence right now that the car is hitting the ground for any reason than the car is stiff and very low, and not because porpoising is causing the car to bounce through repeated "mini" stalling.

There's a nice interview with Pat Symonds and Ted Kravitz on Sky this week with Pat explaining that they are removing the rules around porpoising because it's just not an issue any more for the cars.

It is the source of this article here, for instance:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull- ... comparison

Which I just found particularly interesting because he apparently said what I've been saying, which is that the flow through the car, the engine bay and cooling, is critical to the efficiency of this formula. Demonstrating that sometimes I can get it right. He's also suggesting that RB are a step ahead right now.

Still haven't seen a good look at the cooling setup yet, as far as I know, but I'm certain we've done some work there.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I've read the article and I dont get it. What does Newey do differently with an old as they claim to have facilities that we cant with better facilities?

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 17:52
I've read the article and I dont get it. What does Newey do differently with an old as they claim to have facilities that we cant with better facilities?
I'm not sure what facilities have to do with it? They just understood the formula quicker and better than others who are playing catchup.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

But how do you catch a target who keeps changing concepts making their previous working ones that you borrow and try to evolve on an even better step obsolete with a new and possibly a better one?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 18:16
But how do you catch a target who keeps changing concepts making their previous working ones that you borrow and try to evolve on an even better step obsolete with a new and possibly a better one?
You come up with a better one, obviously

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 18:16
Let me ask you a personal question: are you always this pessimistic? :)

Stuff happens at tests, I've seen all sorts over the last 10 years and had the patience to see the complexities of McLaren in 2015-2017. Things are much better now with reliability and competitiveness relative to the leaders is better too.

Andrea has already said updates are on the way. We fans have no idea what those updates are and what performance and stability gains they bring with them. Hope for the best.

Mercedes used to be unbeatable too, but as we can see, nothing lasts forever. Red Bull won't be ahead forever either. I am somehow sure that McLaren is capable of winning this season on the right circuits.

Darth-Piekus

I wasnt always that pessimistic but I became pessimistic after not seeing a Mclaren car that is innovative and leads the field for over a decade.