2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:55
organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:28
CjC wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:27
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... /10578852/

It’s behind a paywall so I’ll summarise what Stella said.
Grip at the rear axle has improved. Overall more grip. There is still a margin to work on the mechanical set up.

Overall more aerodynamic load needs to be brought to the car with the upcoming updates. There no architecture shortfalls.
Sounds very good. I suppose the margin with mechanical side explains their slow corner T1 and T10 deficit atm

Does he say when the updates will come
T10 deficit? The car didn’t seem to have a deficit in T10… I haven’t immersed myself on the data because it’s testing and it’s hard to make assessments, but I haven’t seeing anything in the telemetry that indicates a deficit in T10… If anything, with the same compound, the MCL38 was carrying more speed through T10 than RB / Ferrari
A quick and far from comprehensive look at Norris' 3 fastest laps compared to Sainz fastest lap shows us consistently a few tenths down at T10 today. Also slower than Perez.

But we have a major platform change still being dialled in, so this may yet be resolved. I suspect they are looking for the middle ground that offers the platforms stability without quite so much rigidity that will improve front left contact in this situation.

At present the contact appears not substantial enough, but better than yesterday.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Red Bull seem like different gravy right now, and I won't be disappointed if we are (as expected) a fair way off come Bahrain next week. But with everything in place this winter for a like-for-like development battle with the other teams, am I unreasonable for being majorly disappointed if we are not 2nd fastest/a very close 3rd? If we want to be winning titles in the not-so-distant future, this sort of area would be the minimum imo to show we can hang it with the top teams.

Jambier

I believe McLaren will be « far » from RBR but will win a couple of race and fight for P2 against Ferrari

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 23:35
SmallSoldier wrote:
organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:28

Sounds very good. I suppose the margin with mechanical side explains their slow corner T1 and T10 deficit atm

Does he say when the updates will come
T10 deficit? The car didn’t seem to have a deficit in T10… I haven’t immersed myself on the data because it’s testing and it’s hard to make assessments, but I haven’t seeing anything in the telemetry that indicates a deficit in T10… If anything, with the same compound, the MCL38 was carrying more speed through T10 than RB / Ferrari
A quick and far from comprehensive look at Norris' 3 fastest laps compared to Sainz fastest lap shows us consistently a few tenths down at T10 today. Also slower than Perez.

But we have a major platform change still being dialled in, so this may yet be resolved. I suspect they are looking for the middle ground that offers the platforms stability without quite so much rigidity that will improve front left contact in this situation.

At present the contact appears not substantial enough, but better than yesterday.
I may be reading the telemetry wrong (most probably)… But are you comparing Lando’s laps on C3’s against Sainz on C3’s? Or against his fast lap on C4’s?

Fastest Lando’s lap vs Perez, both C3’s… In T10 Lando is 2 tenths faster:

Similar 2 tenths against Sainz when comparing fastest laps both C3’s

BMMR61

We don't need to get pessimistic after the final runs tomorrow. McLaren have apparently chosen to not run the C4 (or C5) at all. So if we get bumped to P4 or 5 by others running the C4 which is over 0.6 faster on single lap pace, it's no great shakes. What will be telling is longer running as in 8 - 10 laps what times can be sustained. Interesting that the team don't see they need to run qualifying simulation at this point. I'm not even concerned about Oscar bringing the speed that Lando has shown in the later sessions, he just has that wonderful ability to keep evolving his driving - if 2023 was any indication.

M840TR
M840TR

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:24
We don't need to get pessimistic after the final runs tomorrow. McLaren have apparently chosen to not run the C4 (or C5) at all. So if we get bumped to P4 or 5 by others running the C4 which is over 0.6 faster on single lap pace, it's no great shakes. What will be telling is longer running as in 8 - 10 laps what times can be sustained. Interesting that the team don't see they need to run qualifying simulation at this point. I'm not even concerned about Oscar bringing the speed that Lando has shown in the later sessions, he just has that wonderful ability to keep evolving his driving - if 2023 was any indication.
Carlos's race runs were significantly faster than Lando's btw. Someone can share the figures here.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

M840TR wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:47
BMMR61 wrote:
Carlos's race runs were significantly faster than Lando's btw. Someone can share the figures here.
Were they done at the same time of day? Sainz race sim was at night.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

M840TR wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:
Lando did not do proper race runs as they had the fuel issue. He started his run, had his issue, lost a bunch of time and then only got some laps at the end. So Lando's laps were done full of fuel.

Oscar was in a similar situation, he was starting to do his long runs and then there was the drain issue.

I don't think we can really compare their laps as we did not see a proper race sim.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 00:59
mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 23:35
SmallSoldier wrote:

I may be reading the telemetry wrong (most probably)… But are you comparing Lando’s laps on C3’s against Sainz on C3’s? Or against his fast lap on C4’s?

Fastest Lando’s lap vs Perez, both C3’s… In T10 Lando is 2 tenths faster:

https://i.imgur.com/MpWlaVV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nAAnd8L.jpg

Similar 2 tenths against Sainz when comparing fastest laps both C3’s
You're right on Sainz, I'd selected a C4, against C3s he's not ahead. Lando and Sainz or on a par on their 3 fastest laps at T10

Perez is faster than Lando in T10 though by a tenth, I think you might be looking at Perez' second fastest lap. Looking at the 3 fastest laps of each, Perez is a tenth quicker in T10.

It could well be setup. The team will be working the data overnight to understand. I wouldn't say we have an issue until we've seen the setup evolve, but we also don't want to be struggling to find 2-3 tenths on a corner (Verstappen will be faster than Perez, I'm sure) over a lap either, but this corner is a bit more unique. As a comparison between teams it needs more work, this was just a quick look to see if we have time on the table, not to rank us through the corner, I haven't looked at nearly enough data and it's too early.

Today should be exciting.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Feb 2024, 09:09, edited 4 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:57
M840TR wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:
Lando did not do proper race runs as they had the fuel issue. He started his run, had his issue, lost a bunch of time and then only got some laps at the end. So Lando's laps were done full of fuel.

Oscar was in a similar situation, he was starting to do his long runs and then there was the drain issue.

I don't think we can really compare their laps as we did not see a proper race sim.
Also, if Lando was in the morning session, the times are completely irrelevant compared to Sainz who did his race sim at night.

organic

They should do a race sim or two today as they missed the opportunity yesterday evening

CjC
CjC

M840TR wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:
Carlos’s race run was faster than Perez’s too weren’t they?
Just a fan's point of view

M840TR
M840TR

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 08:54
M840TR wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:
By quite a margin as well. The Ferrari seems to have very low deg. Let's see what the figures are today which should be more representative.

CjC
CjC

M840TR wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 08:59
CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 08:54
M840TR wrote:

By quite a margin as well. The Ferrari seems to have very low deg. Let's see what the figures are today which should be more representative.
I’ve just read this:

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/ferr ... rk-hughes/

Mark reckons Sainz would have beaten Perez by over a minute in the ‘race’ so somethings not quite right.
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lando heads to the pits as he’s about to improve on his time. They’ve done that on a few occasions.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.