2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 08:54
M840TR wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:47
BMMR61 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:24
We don't need to get pessimistic after the final runs tomorrow. McLaren have apparently chosen to not run the C4 (or C5) at all. So if we get bumped to P4 or 5 by others running the C4 which is over 0.6 faster on single lap pace, it's no great shakes. What will be telling is longer running as in 8 - 10 laps what times can be sustained. Interesting that the team don't see they need to run qualifying simulation at this point. I'm not even concerned about Oscar bringing the speed that Lando has shown in the later sessions, he just has that wonderful ability to keep evolving his driving - if 2023 was any indication.
Carlos's race runs were significantly faster than Lando's btw. Someone can share the figures here.
Carlos’s race run was faster than Perez’s too weren’t they?
Perez was slower than Bottas' race sim so not a real reference

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:14
CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 08:54
M840TR wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:47

Carlos's race runs were significantly faster than Lando's btw. Someone can share the figures here.
Carlos’s race run was faster than Perez’s too weren’t they?
Perez was slower than Bottas' race sim so not a real reference
There you go :lol:
Looks like Red Bull are in trouble :twisted:
Just a fan's point of view

De Wet

Lando running with only 1 Beam Wing...

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

De Wet wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:26
He was faster on the main straight. 313-314 kph.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:29
De Wet wrote:
Lando's top speed in this session is 311 kph acccording to my data

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:30
FittingMechanics wrote:
De Wet wrote:
I was watching the telemetry on Formula 1. It is not a timing line that gets speed.

313-314 showed up as he was about to brake at the end of the straight.
Sainz from what I could see was above 317kph - but I don't really watch others that closely.

Yesterday Norris/Piastri were hitting about 309-310.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 23 Feb 2024, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 07:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 00:59
mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 23:35

A quick and far from comprehensive look at Norris' 3 fastest laps compared to Sainz fastest lap shows us consistently a few tenths down at T10 today. Also slower than Perez.

But we have a major platform change still being dialled in, so this may yet be resolved. I suspect they are looking for the middle ground that offers the platforms stability without quite so much rigidity that will improve front left contact in this situation.

At present the contact appears not substantial enough, but better than yesterday.
I may be reading the telemetry wrong (most probably)… But are you comparing Lando’s laps on C3’s against Sainz on C3’s? Or against his fast lap on C4’s?

Fastest Lando’s lap vs Perez, both C3’s… In T10 Lando is 2 tenths faster:

https://i.imgur.com/MpWlaVV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nAAnd8L.jpg

Similar 2 tenths against Sainz when comparing fastest laps both C3’s
You're right on Sainz, I'd selected a C4, against C3s he's not ahead. Lando and Sainz or on a par on their 3 fastest laps at T10

Perez is faster than Lando in T10 though by a tenth, I think you might be looking at Perez' second fastest lap. Looking at the 3 fastest laps of each, Perez is a tenth quicker in T10.

It could well be setup. The team will be working the data overnight to understand. I wouldn't say we have an issue until we've seen the setup evolve, but we also don't want to be struggling to find 2-3 tenths on a corner (Verstappen will be faster than Perez, I'm sure) over a lap either, but this corner is a bit more unique. As a comparison between teams it needs more work, this was just a quick look to see if we have time on the table, not to rank us through the corner, I haven't looked at nearly enough data and it's too early.

Today should be exciting.
Hopefully a good last day of testing with plenty of laps… All I’m trying to point out is that it is too soon to make any judgements, either on the hype side or the gloom side… A few less (or more Kg) of fuel will have an effect on lap time, specially on very low speed corners.

Based on the available data and what we have seeing on track I don’t think McLaren is ahead of Red Bull… Is it too far behind? No clue to be honest… This is also a very unique track and I would argue not really representative of the season, it makes cars with certain characteristics (very good traction, exit speed and low understeer) shine… But that doesn’t mean that the same car will be as good in more flowing tracks, where stop and go isn’t one represents most of the circuit.

After everything said by the team, with updates still expected in the following races, with parts that they consciously decided to further develop and therefore introduce later on the season, it is not surprising that they would start a big behind the grid leader, with a very long season, rushing upgrades to have a “great start” that could degrade throughout isn’t something I would chose, considering that the car that ends 2024 is most probably very close to the car that will race in 2025 (because most teams will favor working early on the 2026 car with new regulations upcoming) it’s sensible to stretch development as long as possible to make sure the solutions will place you in a good position next year.

Luckily, so far there doesn’t seem to a particular problem yet with the car, no apparent weakness (which doesn’t mean that it won’t be slower than others) and most importantly, a platform that seems to be doing what the team expected it to do… Is it enough to fight upfront? time will tell, but nothing to generate major concerns yet.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:37
organic wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I was watching the telemetry on Formula 1. It is not a timing line that gets speed.

Sainz from what I could see was above 317kph - but I don't really watch others that closely.

https://i.imgur.com/fWYBiRT.png

That makes sense - thanks. There was a headwind on the straight on day 1 and 2. That Sainz and Norris have each gone +4kph or so on their top speeds from yesterday perhaps indicates wind having changed (which Ant mentioned to be a factor at some other corners today)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:49
FittingMechanics wrote:
organic wrote:

That makes sense - thanks. There was a headwind on the straight on day 1 and 2. That Sainz and Norris have each gone +4kph or so on their top speeds from yesterday perhaps indicates wind having changed (which Ant mentioned to be a factor at some other corners today)
I think Sainz was hitting 320kph yesterday (on that super fast lap on C4). Not sure about rest of the day. But wind could definitely be a factor.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Hopefully a good last day of testing with plenty of laps… All I’m trying to point out is that it is too soon to make any judgements, either on the hype side or the gloom side… A few less (or more Kg) of fuel will have an effect on lap time, specially on very low speed corners.

Based on the available data and what we have seeing on track I don’t think McLaren is ahead of Red Bull… Is it too far behind? No clue to be honest… This is also a very unique track and I would argue not really representative of the season, it makes cars with certain characteristics (very good traction, exit speed and low understeer) shine… But that doesn’t mean that the same car will be as good in more flowing tracks, where stop and go isn’t one represents most of the circuit.

After everything said by the team, with updates still expected in the following races, with parts that they consciously decided to further develop and therefore introduce later on the season, it is not surprising that they would start a big behind the grid leader, with a very long season, rushing upgrades to have a “great start” that could degrade throughout isn’t something I would chose, considering that the car that ends 2024 is most probably very close to the car that will race in 2025 (because most teams will favor working early on the 2026 car with new regulations upcoming) it’s sensible to stretch development as long as possible to make sure the solutions will place you in a good position next year.

Luckily, so far there doesn’t seem to a particular problem yet with the car, no apparent weakness (which doesn’t mean that it won’t be slower than others) and most importantly, a platform that seems to be doing what the team expected it to do… Is it enough to fight upfront? time will tell, but nothing to generate major concerns yet.
I agree it's too early for conclusions, and agree that the car looks good, if not slower than the Red Bull. I just wanted to look at T10 since you were both talking about it :mrgreen: No idea where we slot in elsewhere but I'm optimistic that we are in a very close fight for second if not very far from it.

In terms of the car I think we are far from an optimal setup. Remember Austin where we discovered we could dial out the low speed issues somewhat? That was quite late on and learning the car takes time and our changes are more fundamental than others. This sits on top of fuel loads, engine modes etc

Mark Hughes analysis of Qualifying performance vs testing over the past few years was interesting though, showing that Mclaren and Merc typically run slower than Ferrari and Red Bull in testing.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:59
organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:49
FittingMechanics wrote:

I think Sainz was hitting 320kph yesterday (on that super fast lap on C4). Not sure about rest of the day. But wind could definitely be a factor.
On the C3 Sainz was hitting between 312-314kph across 6 C3 runs, the fastest on C4 was 315kph. Norris peaked at 311 on the C3.

Last year in Q, Norris peaked at 321 and Ferrari at 328.

Edit: I think I need to get some caffeine before I look at numbers.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

This team seems to be allergic to running in testing the last few years, any idea why Lando isn't out for such a long time?

Seerix
Seerix

McLarenMor wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 12:09
This team seems to be allergic to running in testing the last few years, any idea why Lando isn't out for such a long time?
yeah, I'll never get used to it... I hope they will run more today

_cerber1

McLarenMor wrote:
Clutch problems. The tests are over for him.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 12:11
McLarenMor wrote:
Clutch problems. The tests are over for him.
Hit!! Are they hopeful for Oscar to get out?
Just a fan's point of view