BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shaddock

Re: BrawnGP

Jenson made comments that they had a new aero package, but this shouldn't affect the tyre wear rates. After 3 laps his tyres were grained, on what was the easiest car on it's tyres early season and one of the smoothest drivers around.

Aero (more or less) shouldn't have this affect alone, so they must have have done something to their weight distribution, or suspension settings/geometry. They may need to go back to launch spec to identify the issues.

mstar
mstar

yes i agree must be suspension settings/geometry i cnt think it be weight distribution unless they have started to play around with that laterly to aid the updates they have introduced?

i am no expert but guys could this be anything else? i know we could say tyre temps but maybe the brawn has no developed into a tyre sensitive car? from turkey onwards?
from what i remember only had side pods/front wings and diffuser since turkey (that i can remember correct if i am wrong)

axle
axle

I think the tyre issues have come straight from trying to change the suspension to aide the heating of the tyres, they have instead just destroyed them.
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:I think the tyre issues have come straight from trying to change the suspension to aide the heating of the tyres, they have instead just destroyed them.
Yep, trying to get more temp into the tires, they went too far, or in the wrong direction, a direction the tires did not like at all. Seems like to me.

wesley123
wesley123

And now they have a problem, as their cash seems gone, jsut go back to the launch springs, we are getting almost only hot events, so it should work well there.

I dont understnad why teams dont make 2 types of springs, for hot weather and for cold weather.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ISLAMATRON

WTF?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ive just spent an hour prepairing Turkey V Hungary pics for 2 views of the BGP001 and for the diffuser a Pre season V Hungary pic just to see if there was any diffrence, and so far, theres very few diffrences. Just theese:

* Engine cover every so slightly diffrent
* Exaust covers/outlets diffrent and asymetricial
* Diffuser central section changed

Thats all. It seems alot of development has gone into whats uder the skin. And im shure they are thinking about going back to the settings that perviously worked at Turkey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/I ... HSComp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/I ... ntComp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/I ... arComp.jpg

ringo

It seems they are afraid of messing with what honda has bestowed upon them.
Slight changes only mean they may be low on cash or personnel, or maybe lack a genius like Newey on the team.
For Sure!!

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

"Lack a genius like newey"

They have Ross Brawn as principle, if anyone can sort out a car he's the man to do it...

sticky667
sticky667

let's get some conspiracy theories going!

Jorg Zander pushed them in the wrong direction and then left for one of the new teams!

who else wants to add?

scarbs
scarbs

the big changes for the two recent GPs were the larger front wing flap and underwing fence (they returned to the old endplate not the angular silverstone spec one).
While at the rear the beam wing and crash structure have changed the wing is exposed and no longer faired into the tail lamp. Below this the roof of the upper diffuser is taller, sitting above the driveshaft height.

Scarbs

timbo
timbo

scarbs wrote:the big changes for the two recent GPs were the larger front wing flap and underwing fence (they returned to the old endplate not the angular silverstone spec one).
While at the rear the beam wing and crash structure have changed the wing is exposed and no longer faired into the tail lamp. Below this the roof of the upper diffuser is taller, sitting above the driveshaft height.

Scarbs
So that probably means that the car generates much more downforce now. Is it possible that mechanically it just doesn't cope with it well?

scarbs
scarbs

I believe Brawn designed and set the car up to be easy on its tyres. Tracks with low temperatures, lacking fast turns or even with smooth surfaces can prevent the tyres getting into its working range. Hence the poor performances at Silverstone (fast but cold), Germany (slow and cold) and Hungary (slow and warm).
The team need to alter the geometry or compliance to get the sidewalls working harder and generate some heat. Of course this needs to be returnable to get it back to being easy on the tyres for when we get to faster and hotter tracks.

We have had the same situation with Ferrari and McLaren for the past few years.

PlatinumZealot

So wait.. Brawn is the disgner? I thought he just manages things? (honest question)
who are the "real" aerodynamicist and mechanical designer?

I think BrawnGP are just making excuses.. they were the best on tires in the early season (some people even said Button manages tyres the best). All the other teams have to deal with the same conditions too.. all that happened was just that the other teams caught up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PNSD
PNSD

Brawn does just manage essentially. What he will do is manage the resources in the best way. The people in the best way, and he will decided the development route of the car.

Brawn have the addvantage in that a good car has gone to a bad car. So its not like they start with a bad car which gets worse. At least they can go back to what was last good and start from there to re-evaluate the cars progress and try to find out what went wrong and how. Temperature being the largest variable so far and the most obvious has been the main thought. However it has to be more than that.