2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

haza wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 11:25
Not really anything indicative atm I don’t think McLaren ever really did a proper push lap, but looking at how the car drives the car looks a lot more compliant in s2 both drivers seem able to wind the car into slow speed corners better compared to the v style turn in they had to adapt to last year, car sounds to be set up very low to the ground however this could be the ice skates/tea tray scraping not porpoising as some people have suggested other than that there’s not really much else to look into any race runs etc should be taken with a pinch of salt as we don’t know fuel loads engine modes etc next week will give us a better image but so far I’m happy with the teams progress they’ve just quietly got along with there programs looking forward to the race next week
Piastri's race sim on day 3 would've at least had enough fuel to do 57 laps so we can read into the degradation within that run (but probably not the laptimes themselves)

De Wet

Macklaren wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:52
15 min to go in testing....HERE IS MY PREDICTION FOR THE SEASON...Max wins the WDC at Qatar again but McLaren wins the WCC at Abu Dhabi with Lando and Oscar finishing P2 and P4 in the championship. Bookmark this for November. kthxbye.

Optimistic... Yet You Never Know... [-o<

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I'm now suggesting the following thought: it's unlikely that McLaren have cranked the engine power to the max. On the onboard camera in one of the fastest laps, Oscar did 317 kilometres an hour. That's low by the standards of even the McLaren of last year in qualifying. Since then, a year has passed and the team has been able to solve the drag problems, as well as improve the DRS efficiency. Also, from what I've seen, McLaren could lower the chassis even further, say by a couple of millimetres. That could be enough to go significantly faster.

We'll have to wait until Friday and see for ourselves where Team Papaya ends up relative to the rest of the field. As before, I hope for the best, but I'm morally prepared for the team to be a 4-power team at the beginning of the season. The main thing is that the upgrades throughout the season will give a significant boost in speed and stability.

Looking at Oscar's first drive out of the box on hard tyres on the final day of testing, he went straight away stable. I don't know about the others, but I was very impressed. To drive steadily in all three sectors for 15-16 laps can say that the chassis holds the road confidently, that the driver is comfortable driving it. For me, this is already an indicator. I also agree that perhaps the goal was to better conserve tyres over a long race segment, to better track the balance of the chassis as the fuel in the tank decreases.

Last year the big problems were the slow corners, which take a long time to get through with the steering wheel turned. Slow corners that are taken quickly had a slight negative effect. So let's wait for the racetracks, where the weaknesses can show up.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 11:49
I'm now suggesting the following thought: it's unlikely that McLaren have cranked the engine power to the max. On the onboard camera in one of the fastest laps, Oscar did 317 kilometres an hour. That's low by the standards of even the McLaren of last year in qualifying. Since then, a year has passed and the team has been able to solve the drag problems, as well as improve the DRS efficiency. Also, from what I've seen, McLaren could lower the chassis even further, say by a couple of millimetres. That could be enough to go significantly faster.

Pretty much nobody in testing cranked the engine. Haas were the only team to go over 320kph in the test

proteus

De Wet wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 11:41
Macklaren wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:52
15 min to go in testing....HERE IS MY PREDICTION FOR THE SEASON...Max wins the WDC at Qatar again but McLaren wins the WCC at Abu Dhabi with Lando and Oscar finishing P2 and P4 in the championship. Bookmark this for November. kthxbye.

Optimistic... Yet You Never Know... [-o<
Last year Max alone scored more points than sum of drivers in P2 and P4. Even more than P2 and P3 combined as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 12:06
LionsHeart wrote:

Pretty much nobody in testing cranked the engine. Haas were the only team to go over 320kph in the test
Yeah, I think the same, but this? Where did that come from? 😁

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 12:11
organic wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 12:06
LionsHeart wrote:

Yeah, I think the same, but this? Where did that come from? 😁

https://i.ibb.co/QfgJFfb/2-A0-B42-BF-8- ... 5-DAAE.jpg
Most likely a one-off big tow for albon/piastri. I was watching the speedtrap values

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Maybe someone will be interested. Pity you can't fit all times to a set of C3 tyres for more correlation.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

If Ferrari are significantly ahead of us, it will be pretty disappointing and a little concerning. You'd think we had a more stable base to evolve from last year, so if we aren't close to leading the chasing pack that will dent my confidence in the team to challenge for championships in the next 2-3 years. I still wonder why Lando signed that long term deal once again before cars were even on track, it just seems more prudent to wait it out a bit longer and see how the performance picture is. It's not like his old deal was expiring any time soon.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MCLvamos wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 13:57
If Ferrari are significantly ahead of us, it will be pretty disappointing and a little concerning. You'd think we had a more stable base to evolve from last year, so if we aren't close to leading the chasing pack that will dent my confidence in the team to challenge for championships in the next 2-3 years. I still wonder why Lando signed that long term deal once again before cars were even on track, it just seems more prudent to wait it out a bit longer and see how the performance picture is. It's not like his old deal was expiring any time soon.
Lando, unlike you, believes in the team. And they also made it clear that Lando is loyal to McLaren so that all sorts of pundits and bloggers would stop matchmaking Lando to any other team.

Emag
Emag

Palmer puts McLaren at 3rd with concerns on long run pace, because of that high-deg stint that Piastri had yesterday.

He was relatively accurate last year with his predictions, being slightly cautious in putting AM at 4th instead of 2nd because they hadn't proven they can be at the front yet, but he did get it right for the most part, so let's see how things will turn out next week.

Xyz22
Xyz22

In the second episode of DTS there is a small snippet with Stella explaining the work behind the upgrade that really improved the situation at McL.
They even reworked some mechanical components of the car. Incredible what they pulled off.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 24 Feb 2024, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 14:02
MCLvamos wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 13:57
Lando, unlike you, believes in the team. And they also made it clear that Lando is loyal to McLaren so that all sorts of pundits and bloggers would stop matchmaking Lando to any other team.
Is it unfair to be wary of blindly trusting the team, considering the number of false dawns we've had over the last few years? I have faith in Stella, but no one person can work miracles and there are undoubtedly still questions that need to be answered about us consistently challenging at the sharp end.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Xyz22 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 15:02
In the second episode of DTS there is a small snippet with Stella explaining the work behind the upgrade that really improved the situation at McL.
They even reworked some mechanical components of the car. Incredible what they pulled off.
Wow, that might be the only interesting part of the whole show 😂

Have they pitched Lando and Oscar as rivals who hate each other yet like they did with Lando and Daniel?
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PapayaFan481 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 15:41

Have they pitched Lando and Oscar as rivals who hate each other yet like they did with Lando and Daniel?
After Monza last year, probably. :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.