2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
swifteddie1
swifteddie1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Fred wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 06:42

It’s weird that we’re getting mixed messages. Lando and Oscar are saying Red Bull and Ferrari have a decent advantage, but Zak and Andrea are denying that. I don’t think it’s a good thing since we always see a single story, but I don’t really know what to make of it.
I share a similar sentiment. There is something odd about the mixed messaging and body language. Zak was quite vocal that this year we want to fight for more than podiums and that the team had a good winter, but the body language of the drivers and their statements does not seem to paint the same picture.

Why was he so confident that we would be in a better position? Perhaps the numbers from the windtunnel/simulations arent matching with what they are getting on track? Because the other thing that comes to mind is that we underestimated the improvements Ferrari, Merc would make in the winter. I find the latter highly unlikely.

Lets see how things shape up over the first few races. Hopefully we are mixing it up at the front end, and if not this team has shown that under Stella they can turn things around.

_cerber1

I’ll just remind you that the team previously announced two or three victories per season and several podiums, there was no talk of fighting for the title. Perhaps on tracks that require a high level of downforce, they will indeed be the second fastest team, and will be able to compete with RB, but nothing more. So, 3rd-4th place in speed is exactly what was worth waiting for.

genarro
genarro

swifteddie1 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 08:47
Fred wrote:

It’s weird that we’re getting mixed messages. Lando and Oscar are saying Red Bull and Ferrari have a decent advantage, but Zak and Andrea are denying that. I don’t think it’s a good thing since we always see a single story, but I don’t really know what to make of it.
I share a similar sentiment. There is something odd about the mixed messaging and body language. Zak was quite vocal that this year we want to fight for more than podiums and that the team had a good winter, but the body language of the drivers and their statements does not seem to paint the same picture.

Why was he so confident that we would be in a better position? Perhaps the numbers from the windtunnel/simulations arent matching with what they are getting on track? Because the other thing that comes to mind is that we underestimated the improvements Ferrari, Merc would make in the winter. I find the latter highly unlikely.

Lets see how things shape up over the first few races. Hopefully we are mixing it up at the front end, and if not this team has shown that under Stella they can turn things around.
Dont think it is the correlation from the new tools... The team said that the car is as predicted and they are where they predicted performance wise. And the team is so bullish about this season. Maybe they know that the car platform is great and the upgrades that are in the pipeline are the ones that will bring victories. For the drivers I feel that Lando doesnt want to be bullish simply because he really is a humble guy. And its the same with Oscar.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I heard them say Japan, is tge first upgrade spot for most teams. The first 2 races being back to back, and Australia being, well in Australia. So, Japan is the first real chance. It seems lots of teams will likely have upgrades for then.

CjC
CjC

elldizzle wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 03:23
I just find it hard to believe that Ferrari have stolen a big jump on us. Remember this is the teams first season switching to this car concept, same with Mercedes. I mean if they (Ferrari) have, then its mighty impressive. But I just feel, with Mclaren having ran this concept last year, we would be further ahead in our understanding of it. How to set the car up to maximise it and how to develop it. And that last point may be what it come down to. Who is able to push this concept further on during the season. We saw this with racing point when they copied Mercedes, They were quick, but they didnt know how to maximise it or develop it.
There’s an argument that the Mclaren has changed sidepod concept too. The Ferrari looks like a RB19 whereas the MCL38 looks less like an RB19 and more like the RB20
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Fred wrote:
swifteddie1 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 05:23
BMMR61 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 23:52

That gives me some comfort, he's one of the least credible pundits, if you could even call him that. I'd call him a would be comedian in a tag team with Croft.
I think he's been pretty accurate in the past. Either way, Lando has even said that we cant do the Ferrari times, so at best we are 3rd.

I’m assuming we’re behind them right now, but Red Bull and/or Ferrari aren’t as far ahead as the team expected. Potentially with the upcoming upgrades meaning we can expect to jump them.

Either way, the whole team seems really excited, including the drivers. So I suspect that we’re more or less where we ended last year and in that battle at the front, but with some exciting upgrades in the pipeline akin to the ones we had planned for last year. It’s just a case of how much the others can develop their cars as well, and it looks like Mercedes, Ferrari, and scarily Red Bull all have a lot of opportunities to go quicker as well.
Hasn’t Zak admitted Ferrari are ahead?
I can’t find a link but a poster in this thread said that Zak admitted it on F1TV
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Let it sound daft of me, but I'm guessing McLaren will be the second strongest team, in a few races will be third, and in a few more will be capable of fighting for wins. So for now I expect 2-3 place in the constructors cup.

McLaren's corner exit traction is very good. This can be seen both on the telemetry and visually from the side on the TV picture. Aston and Merc, for example, have problems with it.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I think the long way behind RB and mostly likely Ferrari is down to finding the sweet spot. Very possibly, after 3 FP's they'll be closer to the front guys. They didn't have the best pre season, I believe there's more time to find within this current iteration of the MCL38, and not just from engine modes.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

From what I’ve seen/read McLaren’s Deg looked okay, is that correct?

genarro
genarro

the EDGE wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 11:56
I think it was Osacar that did a 23 lap stint in the 1min 37s and had the last lap of the stint the fastest.

Emag
Emag

the EDGE wrote:
To be honest, thats my sentiment as well. There was some fluctuation in laptime on Oscar's long run, but I feel like those were affected by traffic or some other factor because he was literally lapping quicker at the end of the stints compared to the beginning.

But because of those fluctuations mid-stint, some pundits are suggesting the tire wear is not great.

organic

Yeah the pundits seemed to be wrong about the deg. Looks fine to me

the EDGE
the EDGE

Well its possible McLaren are trying to hide their pace a bit then. It would certainly fit in with the uber secretive launch this year, they haven't wanted to give anything away

proteus

Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 12:17
the EDGE wrote:
To be honest, thats my sentiment as well. There was some fluctuation in laptime on Oscar's long run, but I feel like those were affected by traffic or some other factor because he was literally lapping quicker at the end of the stints compared to the beginning.

But because of those fluctuations mid-stint, some pundits are suggesting the tire wear is not great.
Could it be the dead/alive cycle of the tyres perhaps? There were times for Mclaren especially when it seemed everything is lost and that the tyres are gone, but then Lando especially managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat and perform some small miracles at some races, stating that tyres came back to him at the end.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit