2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wiktor977
wiktor977

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:13
wiktor977 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:04
This is very interesting

https://x.com/startonpole/status/176130 ... 90137?s=20

We all remember that last year car wasn't as fast during quali as everyone hoped for but race pace and especially tyre degradation was phenomenal. Based on everything I saw I truly think that Aston was fully focused on their plan during test. There was no glory runs or anything like that, they weren't interested in showing everyone their full potential, which is a good thing.
They didn't glory run last year either. The pace was just difficult to hide.
But everyone looked different at Aston last year. They were bad in 2022 so everyone was impressed in how much better car was during test last year. Also what impressed people the most last year was their long runs.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

draghixa wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:24
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:13
wiktor977 wrote:
This is very interesting

We all remember that last year car wasn't as fast during quali as everyone hoped for but race pace and especially tyre degradation was phenomenal. Based on everything I saw I truly think that Aston was fully focused on their plan during test. There was no glory runs or anything like that, they weren't interested in showing everyone their full potential, which is a good thing.
They didn't glory run last year either. The pace was just difficult to hide.
So from the two graphics Aston's race pace is even closer relatively to Red Bull in 2024 right?
Well I don't put much emphasis on F1.com sims at all. They are made to protect the sport :wink: :lol:

I mainly go by paddock whisper and driver comments. Last year everyone was talking about Aston Martin. This year everyone is talking about Ferrari.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

wiktor977 wrote:
This is very interesting

Why'd anyone put any stock into graphics that put last years Merc and Ferrari within 0.4 and 0.2 seconds off RB is beyond me :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hmm, I was thinking.

Maybe F1.com is not actually doing expected/corrected performance, but rather they are only doing performance based on the pace shown, while ignoring fuel loads, tires, engine, and track conditions. It is a method, I suppose...

Redragon

SSJ4 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 18:44
https://x.com/f1debrief/status/17617924 ... uggvznAa0w

Obviously we don’t know fuel loads and engine modes. But seems like the car is similar to last year where they can push hard on the harder compound.
It is something Delarosa mentions in his interview on Marca. He said that last year wasn't fast on one lap but race pace was great. And this year they focus on the 3 days to improve on the race pace and long stints and tyre degradation. Instead of focusing on one lap performance.

https://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/20 ... b457b.html

He also mention they are on par with Ferrari and Mclaren.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Redragon wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:58
SSJ4 wrote:

Obviously we don’t know fuel loads and engine modes. But seems like the car is similar to last year where they can push hard on the harder compound.
It is something Delarosa mentions in his interview on Marca. He said that last year wasn't fast on one lap but race pace was great. And this year they focus on the 3 days to improve on the race pace and long stints and tyre degradation. Instead of focusing on one lap performance.

Interesting. Mclaren thinks they are a chunk behind Ferrari. :lol:

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 21:05
Redragon wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:58
SSJ4 wrote:

Interesting. Mclaren thinks they are a chunk behind Ferrari. :lol:
Mclaren is always downplaying its chances and performance. They did that several times last year. Even though I subscribe to the underpromise and overdeliver policy, but Mclaren is almost to a point where its useless to get a quote from them.

NAPI10
NAPI10

AM wants to build a competitive car from word go but more then that their focus must be on building a car which will perform on all circuits and AM can successfully develop it aggressively thought the season.
Specially after ‘Development Fiasco’ in 23; AM must have focused on building open platform car. It might lead to conservative car to start with.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 02:17
AM wants to build a competitive car from word go but more then that their focus must be on building a car which will perform on all circuits and AM can successfully develop it aggressively thought the season.
Specially after ‘Development Fiasco’ in 23; AM must have focused on building open platform car. It might lead to conservative car to start with.
I don't think that's the approach that's used. I think the goal is always just to improve the weaknesses of the car. How you go about that year in year out will vary. Generally as the rules mature, tweaks become smaller and smaller. 23 , being just the second year of the regs there were huge changes. I don't know the goals coming out of 2022 and going into 2023 but have you considered the effects on those plans when AMR saw what Alonso was able to extract from the car? There was a huge leap. Some things are just unforseen.
Last edited by diffuser on 26 Feb 2024, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 03:57
NAPI10 wrote:
I don't think that's the approach that's used. I think the goal is always just to improve the weaknesses of the car. How you go about that year in year out will vary. Generally as the rules mature, tweaks become smaller and smaller. 23 , being just the second year of the regs there huge changes. I don't know the goals coming out of 2022 and going into 2023 but have you considered the effects on those plans when AMR saw what Alonso was able to extract from the car? There was a huge leap. Some things are just unforseen.
To me "improving the weaknesses of the car" is the kind of conservative talk best reserved for the front running team. Those who are behind need to be more disruptive. "Improving the weaknesses of the car" is pretty much going to resign the team to middle of the top 10 in perpetuity.

NAPI10
NAPI10

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 04:08
diffuser wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:
I don't think that's the approach that's used. I think the goal is always just to improve the weaknesses of the car. How you go about that year in year out will vary. Generally as the rules mature, tweaks become smaller and smaller. 23 , being just the second year of the regs there huge changes. I don't know the goals coming out of 2022 and going into 2023 but have you considered the effects on those plans when AMR saw what Alonso was able to extract from the car? There was a huge leap. Some things are just unforseen.
To me "improving the weaknesses of the car" is the kind of conservative talk best reserved for the front running team. Those who are behind need to be more disruptive. "Improving the weaknesses of the car" is pretty much going to resign the team to middle of the top 10 in perpetuity.
AM took the disruptive path in 23 and stumbled in 'Development Race'. I am hoping they have learned their lessons and development will be much more efficient and effective in 24.
My gut feeling is , AM will start cautiously with aggressive development plan.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 04:08
diffuser wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:
I mean "improving the weaknesses of the car" to be non quantitative, it's neither small nor disruptive or both.

KimiRai
KimiRai

SSJ4 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 20:24
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... arico.html

really really good piece on amr24 over pre season testing. good information there. obviously needs translating when you read it. but its interesting
In turn 6 the two-time F1 world champion loses a good 6 km/h compared to his performance 12 months ago. Both drivers also seem to pay for a lack of load and arrive at Turn 8 with a lower speed. The last part of the track highlights even more the possible problems of the almost revolutionary design of the team from across the Channel.
If this is correct:
Ashwinv16 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 02:17
Day 1 - Higher downforce (Not Monaco high but more wing)
Day 2 - Medium downforce
Day 3 - Lower downforce (Not Monza low but less wing)
Maybe some of that lack of downforce S2 issue will be improved come Bahrain GP, but not sure to what extent, probably not a lot.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Traction on the Aston looked pretty good from the bits of testing I watched - S2 did look an obvious area where they lost time but I would be very surprised if that was as big a weakness come race day.

They looked a bit “heavy” on fuel I thought in the way the car was responding so I’m hopeful they may have a bit of performance to bring at the weekend. Obviously just a gut feel from watching and no data to prove it.

Not long now until we see where people are.

Kamel
Kamel

I am afraid AMR24 will be slow in fast corners.
I hope for a wide working settings window