2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Onboard lap Lando or Oscar?

genarro
genarro

mwillems wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 12:35
genarro wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 10:57
I just read on the car developement forum, that the race pace time that Piastri achieved were 0.3 s faster than the base Mcl60 from testing last year..and as we know that car was a dud so it makes me think that McLaren have a lot more performance on hand.
You can't compare like that at all. Anyone making that comparison is going down a dead end.

There were some laps in different circumstances that had similar times. We don't know how much we are holding back, but I'm sure it is a fair bit faster than last year. But it isn't the point, what is important is how quick we are compared to others this year.

What I did find interesting from my digging is that the race pace of Ferrari in the '23 Bahrain race was very similar to the long run pace in '23 Bahrain testing. Someone suggested they didn't hide much this year. They didn't hide much last year by the looks of it.
i understand that testing is testing. Just wanted to point out that it looks like that McLaren has much more pace than it looks.

Regading Ferrari they historicaly run a little lighter and McLaren dont..Remember in 2019 when every F1 analysist predicted Williams and McLaren fighting for 10th and we were 4th.

I'm optimistic for this season and want to stay that way. So i dont look at any motosport sites which are predicting the pecking order because they know as much as we do.

The car looks fast, stable to drive and responsive. So its a great platform to build this season. And we know that even if we are not the fastest in the first race, McLaren has always had good in season developement.

organic

Yes 2024 testing had a lot more sandbagging and less comparative running than previous years imo

De Wet

ScottR267 wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 11:14
Extension/expansion of Google sponsorship.

https://x.com/mclarenf1/status/17620249 ... qGtvf6jqBQ

:( :(

bauc

For the first time in many many years, due to traveling I was not able to follow the preseason testing in detail, but from what I heard is that the team is pleased with the progress but not satisfied with the end result?! This maybe a good thing, starting as a fourth team and then attacking 3rd and 2nd (RBR is too far off I'm afraid) is a much better prospect than starting on the back of the table and then fight for P4, so I'm coming into this season very relaxed and very positive that we can make a good run.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

bauc wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 15:57
For the first time in many many years, due to traveling I was not able to follow the preseason testing in detail, but from what I heard is that the team is pleased with the progress but not satisfied with the end result?! This maybe a good thing, starting as a fourth team and then attacking 3rd and 2nd (RBR is too far off I'm afraid) is a much better prospect than starting on the back of the table and then fight for P4, so I'm coming into this season very relaxed and very positive that we can make a good run.
Fortunately, yes, the team is starting the new season with a much faster and more stable car.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

djos wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 12:55
Season 6 was a lot better than s5 was. The only major issues with s6 was them screwing around with the chronological order of things.

Oh and completely ignoring Oscar’s sprint race win. :twisted:
I've just watched first three episodes so far. McLaren one was quite underwhelming. I feel the story could have been a lot better.

First part of the episode is about the start of the season, how hard and problematic it is. Then just a super minor mention of how they are working on quite a big update. Some foreshadowing by Williams how it is almost unheard of to jump up in performance mid season.

Then suddenly you go to Silverstone qualifying and McLaren 2-3 start. And then it is done.

I guess they didn't feel the potential was there so they didn't follow McLaren until it was too late.

djos

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 19:49
djos wrote:
Season 6 was a lot better than s5 was. The only major issues with s6 was them screwing around with the chronological order of things.

I've just watched first three episodes so far. McLaren one was quite underwhelming. I feel the story could have been a lot better.

First part of the episode is about the start of the season, how hard and problematic it is. Then just a super minor mention of how they are working on quite a big update. Some foreshadowing by Williams how it is almost unheard of to jump up in performance mid season.

Then suddenly you go to Silverstone qualifying and McLaren 2-3 start. And then it is done.

I guess they didn't feel the potential was there so they didn't follow McLaren until it was too late.
Yep, screwing with the chronological order and leaving out key story arcs was really annoying, but it's still a fun way to get excited for this season.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 00:04
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 19:49
djos wrote:

Yep, screwing with the chronological order and leaving out key story arcs was really annoying, but it's still a fun way to get excited for this season.
I don't think there has ever been that much with Mclaren in it, as far as I recall. But I guess it is ten episodes with ten teams to cover, it's just that like you say, the way they order it doesn't feel right. They string arcs together by team or by a particular storyline, with the season being a very holistic concept above it all.

I have nothing against it but I didn't watch last years much. Nothing could top the Horner v Abiteboul drama! Although that seemed highly staged or "framed"
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

This has been bugging me.
In this article the last ‘looser’ from testing is Aston Martin and they predict that Aston are 4th fastest in quali and race trim (which they probably are).

However, the only tables I have seen and can find only show them 5th and 6th.

Have the F1 team not published their revised pecking order or have I just missed it?

Not here looking to talk about Aston in the Mclaren thread.
Not here to listen to people just dismissing the article and author.

Just would like to know if I’ve missed something?
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

CjC wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 12:26
In this article the last ‘looser’ from testing is Aston Martin and they predict that Aston are 4th fastest in quali and race trim (which they probably are).

Have the F1 team not published their revised pecking order or have I just missed it?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 12:39
CjC wrote:

It would be funny if nobody guessed and McLaren was second.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
CjC wrote:

Thanks. What was he thinking when he wrote that article I posted then #-o
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 22:50
Interesting site to compare laps. https://www.f1-tempo.com/

If you compare VER and NOR you get a constant time loss throughout the lap for NOR. It worsens on braking but then NOR claws back a little bit of loss at the start of the corner exit. I would assume that means a different way of approaching the corner. Maybe because they used to have to do a V for the corners, you get on power a bit earlier but lose overall.

If you compare VER and SAI he loses to VER mostly in the corners. There is some loss on straights/acceleration zone but mainly corners.

Great website to play around with.
I'm super late with this, but I didn't pay attention to it during testing. Both drivers mentioned the handling in slow speed corners might be better. Has anyone seen if they still have to v-corner?

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 12:55
_cerber1 wrote:
CjC wrote:

It would be funny if nobody guessed and McLaren was second.
Funny would be Lando and Oscar locking out the front row. Not that I expect that to happen of course.
I just think people have gotten a bit carried away with testing. Of course if say the RB20 isn't as good as the RB19 you'd see the media going into "What went wrong" frenzy.

I think McLaren went about their testing programme quietly and haven't shown the true pace of the
car yet. There is a lot of expectation management going on with McLaren, and I can't say that I blame them.