Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: Mercedes W15

Stu wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 09:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 03:46
The angle of the rear push-rod is extremely shallow. Can't be good for the dynamics of it, but I guess there is an aero benefit.
Welcome back PZ.
This matches my analysis, I’ve always been under the impression that the more horizontal the link the higher the loads are at the pivot, due to the effect of motion ratio; this also has a big impact on the sensitivity to changes in spring rate & damping.
It would be very interesting to see the innards of this set-up to see if there are any neat solutions regarding the motion ratio.
Likewise, I'd e intrigued to see this design and compare to others.

There's possibility, looking at the angle only from more or less level view (overhead obscured) that the inner ends of the push-rod then pass the wishbone pivots to end up substantially closer to centreline of car, thus giving more leverage differential over those control arm pivot location.

Ordinarily though, it would be reasonable to expect increase in spring and damper "coherance" to enact the control with what looks like a mechanical leverage disadvantage brought about by the more acute angles involved here.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Farnborough wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 09:35
Stu wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 09:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 03:46
The angle of the rear push-rod is extremely shallow. Can't be good for the dynamics of it, but I guess there is an aero benefit.
Welcome back PZ.
This matches my analysis, I’ve always been under the impression that the more horizontal the link the higher the loads are at the pivot, due to the effect of motion ratio; this also has a big impact on the sensitivity to changes in spring rate & damping.
It would be very interesting to see the innards of this set-up to see if there are any neat solutions regarding the motion ratio.
Likewise, I'd e intrigued to see this design and compare to others.

There's possibility, looking at the angle only from more or less level view (overhead obscured) that the inner ends of the push-rod then pass the wishbone pivots to end up substantially closer to centreline of car, thus giving more leverage differential over those control arm pivot location.

Ordinarily though, it would be reasonable to expect increase in spring and damper "coherance" to enact the control with what looks like a mechanical leverage disadvantage brought about by the more acute angles involved here.
Would Mercedes have seen the figures during testing and trade off optimal spring and damper settings for more stable air flow through the rear of the car?

Farnborough
Farnborough

The aim would always be to arrive at optimum and desirable wheel rates to fit the need they have.

Folding into smaller space will usually involve raised loading on all of the pivot etc, then spring and damper movement usually reduces, making any change or errors within those components amplified by the leverage ratio as it travels eventually to the wheel location.

All of them are trading these criteria in designing a system that does what it should during use, obviously they may consider or see different limitations with their own system that they have to cope with in specifying the components.

It likely will be OK but maybe with time to make adjustment showing as they build experience in tailoring it to how they want out in the real world. There's been mention already of concern and work in this area, now depends on what decisions they've made in preparation for first race.

Could be good aero advantage, could be very close to compromise in getting that, the tradeoff we're all about too see today and racing.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-updat ... grand-prix

Couldn't isolate Mercedes updates. They seem to have tweaked quite a bit from car we saw in testing. Any thoughts?

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Is this list of upgrades compared to the tests or the 2023 car if anyone knows?

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 11:59
My apologies the article didn't make it clear. I'll get back to you on this one

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

I they've gone with the wishbone in the 'higher' position for now.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Mark4211

Correct me if I'm wrong, having the adjustable arm of upper front wishbone on the downwards position, instead of upwards now, means there is more anti-dive effect?

Meaning to say;
- Set downwards => More Anti-dive Effect,
- Set upwards => Less Anti-dive Effect?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Mark4211 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 13:18
Correct me if I'm wrong, having the adjustable arm of upper front wishbone on the downwards position, instead of upwards now, means there is more anti-dive effect?

Meaning to say;
Correct and they found the car much harder to drive hence going back to the upwards position

SiLo

Mark4211 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 13:18

Meaning to say;
yes that is correct. More anti-dive might make for a more stable aero platform, but probably feels worse for the drivers.
Felipe Baby!

Mattchu

Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 11:59
It`s from the 2023 cars not testing. The things a bit useless now but you can find it here for all cars under "car display procedure"

https://www.fia.com/documents/champions ... -2024-2043

f1rules
f1rules

Luscion
Luscion

According to Formu1aUno the W15 is under the weight limit and theres been a big focus on tire degradation - https://formu1a.uno/la-mercedes-w15-e-s ... anteriore/

The Mercedes W15 has an unprecedented rear suspension adjustment partly because it is underweight
According to James Allison there has been a mistake in technical priorities. "I think the idea of getting hard-fought races by controlling the wake of the cars and ignoring how much the tires matter is a bit like tilting at windmills."

AMG.Tzan

I’m really wondering if the plank of this car manages to do 58 laps on Saturday…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis