2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:38
On the Autosport forum Rodlamas mentioned that Lando did his time in a race mode. Possibly others used race mode as well but just wanted to share.

"Helmet camera on Norris onboard shows that on his 32.9 lap he is using Strat 5 (high race mode). Qual mode is Strat 2. And of course there are all submodes that are not easy to know."
There is no way they would have been green (rather than purple) in S1 and S3 on Softs (esp. given the S2 purple) if the engine was turned up. May have been race mode, but the engine was still plenty turned down

Seerix
Seerix

I think Tsunoda gained around 0.3 in S1 (power related) and then lost it all in S2 and in S3. So it could be different engine modes compared to RB2 or drag. Not much to talk about really, FP2 will be more interesting as it's close to quali and race track conditions.

Darth-Piekus

The team seems much more competitive compared to last year when they had a car that was 1.5 sec off the pace. They are way closer to the top this time considering we are running on a GP that doesnt suit the car.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 29 Feb 2024, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Macklaren wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:45
FittingMechanics wrote:
On the Autosport forum Rodlamas mentioned that Lando did his time in a race mode. Possibly others used race mode as well but just wanted to share.

"Helmet camera on Norris onboard shows that on his 32.9 lap he is using Strat 5 (high race mode). Qual mode is Strat 2. And of course there are all submodes that are not easy to know."
There is no way they would have been green (rather than purple) in S1 and S3 on Softs (esp. given the S2 purple) if the engine was turned up. May have been race mode, but the engine was still plenty turned down
Race mode implies that the engine is turned down.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Emag wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:53
Macklaren wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:45
FittingMechanics wrote:

Race mode implies that the engine is turned down.
Fair point... Chalk it up to offseason blues... It's RACE WEEK!

CjC
CjC

If quali mode is strat 2 what the heck is strat 1 for? :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:03
If quali mode is strat 2 what the heck is strat 1 for? :lol:
Mofo mode

Darth-Piekus

How much of a difference can qualifying mode give compared to race mode?

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:37
mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:35
Thanks. I was aware the new tunnel was switched on around the time of Zandvoort and that the MCL60 would not have any tunnel time after that. I'm surprised that the parts going in from late August onwards are the upgrades.

Just what have they got cooking for the next 3 months...
It surprised me as well. I guess lead times for F1 cars are really long and this time it was even worse because I guess it is hard to really switch over from one tunnel to other.

Could mean that the new upgrades are as good as they were last year.
The team have been at pains to suggest the upgrade trajectory will continue. Stella said that the upgrades last year for Austria and Singapore were a result of a total of 4 months development so I'm interested to see exactly what is coming this way and what the Japan upgrade consists of.

As always, we will have to wait and see.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Think we’ll be clear of RB Visa when we turn the power up but not at all sure we can edge out Ferrari, Merc or Alonso.

Expect that to change a lot of other tracks but this weekend not sure.

Let’s see FP2 for some clearer indications!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:35
Thanks. I was aware the new tunnel was switched on around the time of Zandvoort and that the MCL60 would not have any tunnel time after that. I'm surprised that the parts going in from late August onwards are the upgrades.

Just what have they got cooking for the next 3 months...
It surprised me as well. I guess lead times for F1 cars are really long and this time it was even worse because I guess it is hard to really switch over from one tunnel to other.

The team have been at pains to suggest the upgrade trajectory will continue. Stella said that the upgrades last year for Austria and Singapore were a result of a total of 4 months development so I'm interested to see exactly what is coming this way and what the Japan upgrade consists of.

I mean, based on above, if same is followed, one would not be blamed to expect the Japan upgrade to be quite significant, don't you think? But like you said, we will have to wait and see. But it now makes round 1-3 feel like an inconvenience.... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

FittingMechanics wrote:

Do we know if Oscar did, too? His S1 looks a bit better

_cerber1

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:29
FittingMechanics wrote:

Do we know if Oscar did, too? His S1 looks a bit better
Yes, they are both down on power. Ricciardo was more than 10kph faster down the straights ...

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:20
mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 15:15
FittingMechanics wrote:

I mean, based on above, if same is followed, one would not be blamed to expect the Japan upgrade to be quite significant, don't you think? But like you said, we will have to wait and see. But it now makes round 1-3 feel like an inconvenience.... :lol:
Ahaha yeah I did say before that we are going to look at the cars for three races and the start the benchmarking all over when a few teams bring upgrades to Japan!

I can't find the articles I thought I'd read but I'm sure I saw somewhere, a quote from Stella, saying the Japan upgrade wasn't a big upgrade. So I think I'm just going to just wait and see what comes along as you'd think that Stella might be being a bit less "bullish" after seeing the RB and having a few delays to some projects. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

As someone else said, it may well be a case of keeping quiet until it is time to let everyone see what we have so we will see.

But in the meantime I hope we have a good race, can be inside the top 6 or very close to it and give the pilots the opportunity to get their elbows out on Saturday.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit