2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:32
We don’t know engine modes but normally McLaren never run the engine hard during FP. Quietly optimistic considering the nature of this track.
Even if encouraging, we need to always keep mind that is just practice… McLaren could have also run with less fuel than others.

At least it’s clear they are not miles behind and clearly a part of the front pack… Let’s hope now for an smooth qualifying

Emag
Emag

Just for once I am hoping they aren't running lighter or with more power. So many people reporting the same things about the gaps and averages of the race sims, and people just look at it and automatically resort to "McLaren is probably running with less fuel" and move on analysing only RBR, Merc and Ferrari.

Annoying to get the team ignored like this.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:17
Just for once I am hoping they aren't running lighter or with more power. So many people reporting the same things about the gaps and averages of the race sims, and people just look at it and automatically resort to "McLaren is probably running with less fuel" and move on analysing only RBR, Merc and Ferrari.

I can explain it: the other teams in the test drove with less fuel. Max was refuelled several times at pitstops between stints. McLaren were probably the ones driving with full tanks. This is the conclusion I made for myself after seeing the times in the race simulation. And now that probably everyone has filled full tanks, everything stands on its own.

Well I'll add, some people just don't want to believe that McLaren is capable of anything out there.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 29 Feb 2024, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:17

It’s the bias from testing… Since the team didn’t showed any signs of been “at the front” during testing, it makes people think that if they do better in FP it’s because of “engine mode, fuel, etc”.

I hope the pace is real, the most interesting thing for me is that everything I’ve seeing points to very good degradation and that sometimes could be even more important than pace itself… Been able to stretch your stint a few more laps than the rest or lean on the tires that little bit more because you have low deg could make a big difference during a race distance.

Also, if the gaps end up being within let’s say 0.5 seconds for the top 4 / top 5… It will become a driver driven result and I believe we have a bit of an upper hand in that regard compared to the others

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:37
I wonder if this was the updates planned for Japan or something seperate.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:57
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
We don’t know engine modes but normally McLaren never run the engine hard during FP. Quietly optimistic considering the nature of this track.
Even if encouraging, we need to always keep mind that is just practice… McLaren could have also run with less fuel than others.

At least it’s clear they are not miles behind and clearly a part of the front pack… Let’s hope now for an smooth qualifying
Indeed, it is just FP2. FP3 won't be that representative either due to it being in the day.

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I'm not surprised we have better deg and a better S2 than the rest considering the wing we're running, but pace looks a lot more promising

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I've just watched the Piastri end of the stint. He pitted and made a race style pitstop - 3 second tires and go out. He ended up behind a Williams for those last few laps, on the outlap he was stuck behind but quickly cleared him on the finish straight. Then he caught up to Gasly and once again was stuck. But he was about to be overtaken but the session ended.

If I remember correctly. I'd be very surprised if this was not a race sim of a first stint. At least we are faster than Alpine :D

One thing that might influence the data is that (IIRC) McLaren was first out to do a race sim so they were a lap or two ahead of the most of the field. Bit less fuel.

mwillems

I think they are still not showing anything like reality in their pace. That's the same times as a much longer C1 stint.

Last edited by mwillems on 29 Feb 2024, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:38
I've just watched the Piastri end of the stint. He pitted and made a race style pitstop - 3 second tires and go out. He ended up behind a Williams for those last few laps, on the outlap he was stuck behind but quickly cleared him on the finish straight. Then he caught up to Gasly and once again was stuck. But he was about to be overtaken but the session ended.

If I remember correctly. I'd be very surprised if this was not a race sim of a first stint. At least we are faster than Alpine :D

One thing that might influence the data is that (IIRC) McLaren was first out to do a race sim so they were a lap or two ahead of the most of the field. Bit less fuel.
That just means they did longer stints… that won’t effect the average lap times though- would it?
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:47
FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:38

That just means they did longer stints… that won’t effect the average lap times though- would it?
Yeah, it doesnt matter when you start it. Same debate as with the testing comparisons to Leclerc. They were comparing laptimes 1:1 when Leclerc was like 14 laps ahead on his stint.
If anything, starting earlier means you have slightly worse track conditions.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:25
SmallSoldier wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

Indeed, it is just FP2. FP3 won't be that representative either due to it being in the day.
We just need to wait for the race to see where we are… An irrelevant point of data? The MCL38 in practice was already half a second faster than the MCL60 in qualifying last year :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:53
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

We just need to wait for the race to see where we are… An irrelevant point of data? The MCL38 in practice was already half a second faster than the MCL60 in qualifying last year :)
Clearly we will win the constructors :lol:

I think several races to get a grip to be fair. We'll have three races then a raft of upgrades and start figuring out the cars relative strengths again.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I have half a mind to think that understanding the new platform is going to take a good while, at least to get the best out of it.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:47
It depends whether they are running to a delta or being quicker each lap as the fuel burns up. Wouldn't be a big difference though today as tyres are usually the limiting factor, not fuel.

Piastri positive after FP2 - says it felt good today both in qualy and race runs. He thinks we are in a decent place. "More or less where we thought". Overall feeling pretty positive.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... xbBEP.html

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:55
SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:53
mwillems wrote:

Clearly we will win the constructors :lol:

I think several races to get a grip to be fair. We'll have three races then a raft of upgrades and start figuring out the cars relative strengths again.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I have half a mind to think that understanding the new platform is going to take a good while, at least to get the best out of it.
There were several mechanical / chassis changes, so there might still be a bit too learn in terms of setup, but with the regulations been stable, I would be surprised if they don’t have a very good idea of “what works”.

The one thing that I haven’t found any information about is in regards to the operating window for the tires… Did we increase the window? McLaren suffered a lot in “hot conditions” last year, with a car that could heat up the tires quiet quick, but could overheat them as easy… My understanding is that the operating window of the tires for the MCL60 was quiet narrow and that made them compromise a bit in terms of setup