2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Thanks. I suspect in part this will be wind. But it is pleasing we did well in gusty conditions yesterday, it bodes well for Aero stability.

I'm sure they will also improve the overnight. But then so will others.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

M840TR
M840TR

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 08:20
mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 08:18
FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 00:14

It would be unlike McLaren to go for "glory runs" in FP. Usually it is other way around. They are slow in FPs, especially on Friday but then much better on Saturday and Sunday.

Oscar said they need to figure out why the car is quick sometime and slow other times. I guess they still don't fully grasp this car and it's possible this good pace goes away tomorrow.
Do you have a link to that quote from Oscar?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 75210.html
He said that the wind effected their understanding / data because these cars are sensitive to wind generally. Not that the team is unsure why the car is quick sometimes and not other times.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I was wondering about this, where did the information come from that the team will bring updates to the China grand prix?

Edit: Saw that the information was from Ted. Oh, ok.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 10:13
I was wondering about this, where did the information come from that the team will bring updates to the China grand prix?

Apparently Zak said it. Not knowing the context of the quotes I am unsure if this is parts that were going to arrive at Japan and now China, or if these are other updates that they now know will arrive at China.

I suspect that the team will be a little bit more quiet about their plans until they demonstrate the performance gains that they did last year, so we will probably have to wait to see.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 10:46
LionsHeart wrote:

Apparently Zak said it. Not knowing the context of the quotes I am unsure if this is parts that were going to arrive at Japan and now China, or if these are other updates that they now know will arrive at China.

I suspect that the team will be a little bit more quiet about their plans until they demonstrate the performance gains that they did last year, so we will probably have to wait to see.
I heard Ted mention it, sounded more like he was speculating the actual race the upgrades would be brought based off what Zak said, race 5, 6 or so.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

M840TR wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 09:29
He said that the wind effected their understanding / data because these cars are sensitive to wind generally. Not that the team is unsure why the car is quick sometimes and not other times.
I don't think it is certain he was referring to wind when he was making a statement they need to look at some runs in more detail, but you could be right.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 09:29
FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 08:20
mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 08:18

Do you have a link to that quote from Oscar?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 75210.html
I think You are conflating two seperate questions and answers that may be linked.

He said at the start that they need to look at the data and understand why they were good in some places and bad at others. At the end he said the wind was tricky and made it learning and driveability of the car hard, and Oscar seemed to be talking about from the perspective of being in the seat.

It does seem there is still some understanding to gain around the behaviour of the car, which is normal following FP2.

Not sure it means that we might suddenly drop back either, no one has their setups finalised and we don't know if anyone is showing their true speed yet. If we drop back it could be because others were hiding more or conditions...

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I mentioned it because I felt we could see some higher degree of variability at the start of the season and that we shouldn't doom and gloom or board the hype train immediately.

mwillems

For sure, they always look at the data and try and understand how to improve their car the night before qualifying. They don't always go in the right direction of course... but... usually they do and hopefully they will today 😁

-Bandit

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 10:56
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I heard Ted mention it, sounded more like he was speculating the actual race the upgrades would be brought based off what Zak said, race 5, 6 or so.
Ahhh I read that Ted got it from Zak, this makes more sense now.

Though I thought stella said race four, which is Suzuka.

Guess we will just have to be patient and wait for Santa to arrive with the presents!

Edit: Apologies, it was PhillipM that said Japan, not Stella.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Mar 2024, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

It's all right. We can be patient. 😊

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So the team will be focusing on mostly long runs today during FP3.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Are there problems in both cars? I saw Piastri smoking at some point and Lando had his floor checked.

coltmarshmallow
coltmarshmallow

"The FIA bulletins have notified that Norris is already on to his second control electronics and battery for the season"

When did that happen??

Darth-Piekus

Are there reliability problems?