2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

It could, it is still only FP3 though. Top time is still 1 second off last years pole and this years fastest testing time, so there is a good chunk of time yet, fuel loads and engine modes still offer variables.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Mar 2024, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Yeah, now more than ever Lando must try and keep it together during quali.

Gaps are so small, cant afford "moments" or he may end up 10th.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 15:37
Yeah, now more than ever Lando must try and keep it together during quali.

Gaps are so small, cant afford "moments" or he may end up 10th.
I can't say anything here unless I'm undermining Lando, so I'll just acknowledge the post :D

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Decent pace indeed- as the shackles start to come off we’re seeing the team move with the others close to the front.

Hard not to think RBR just has that but up their sleeve later tonight but we look close enough to the pack at a track that didn’t used to suit- interesting signs.

Any info on the new PU part and what happened?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It's not bad practice. Too bad Lando is already getting new powertrain components. Sometime later we'll have to serve a penalty for them.

bauc

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 15:42
It's not bad practice. Too bad Lando is already getting new powertrain components. Sometime later we'll have to serve a penalty for them.
Maybe the change was done as a measure of precaution, does not mean that the unit changed is not usable anymore.
I remember yesterday, he requested his steering weel to be changed, this might have something to do with the ECU.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Tomsky
Tomsky

Did Lando throw a lap after the last turn?

Emag
Emag

Yeah that's weird. And top speeds are way down compared to the brick that was early-spec MCL60.

That last part though, they either had the wrong deployment mapping, didnt have a charged battery, or Lando just threw it intentionally by lifting earlier.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Tomsky wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 15:51
Did Lando throw a lap after the last turn?
I think he made a couple of mistakes - and was quite wide in the last corner so he had to lift. But I've seen people say he turned on battery recharge before the line and didn't use DRS so I don't know.

NOR lap was really good and it was fast in the "twisty" bit - this should help with tyre management as the car likely has higher downforce than most of the field. With a RBR style DRS wing it could mean a really good race car.

Btw I'd gladly accept reliability issues if the car is winning races. It's a long season. Serving a penalty or two does not mean much.

willmesquita

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 15:32
willmesquita wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 15:32
Are we fastest overall in S2 ate the end of FP3?
Norris would have been P1 overall with a lap done at the same time as Verstappen and Alonso (and earlier than Ferraris). I know it doesn't mean much but I am still amazed how F1 managed to analyze the data in a way that McLaren has a big gap behind the top teams. I am hoping that Norris shuts them up today.

I feel very positive, I am hoping for a Norris front row.
I can't wait to see Suzuka!!!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Tomsky
Tomsky

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I just watched the onboard, it looks like he just missed the apex of the last corner a lot - and would have went wide/over the kerb. So he lifted off to get back. And then it seems he didn't push to the line (maybe charge on).

It wasn't a snap or anything, his hands were stable, just the car understeered and he lifted to get out of it.

Maybe the team had a reason to be so optimistic before testing? Or they just used a lot more power than the rest. Hopefully it is the former.

mwillems

Norris lost over half a second to P1 on his fast lap, at the last corner.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:00
I just watched the onboard, it looks like he just missed the apex of the last corner a lot - and would have went wide/over the kerb. So he lifted off to get back. And then it seems he didn't push to the line (maybe charge on).

It wasn't a snap or anything, his hands were stable, just the car understeered and he lifted to get out of it.

Maybe the team had a reason to be so optimistic before testing? Or they just used a lot more power than the rest. Hopefully it is the former.
Maybe it was wind, but he just didn't try to push after missing the apex.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:02
Norris lost over half a second to P1 on his fast lap, at the last corner.
Using f1-tempo you can see Norris did not use DRS on the finish line and he lost a massive amount of time there. So it's likely he aborted the lap after he missed apex of the last corner.

Check this out - it's crazy.