2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:04
mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:02
Norris lost over half a second to P1 on his fast lap, at the last corner.
Using f1-tempo you can see Norris did not use DRS on the finish line and he lost a massive amount of time there. So it's likely he aborted the lap after he missed apex of the last corner.

Check this out - it's crazy.
https://i.imgur.com/lKby2L3.png
Yeah, there is no way he goes from -0.3 to +0.3 naturally there.

At most you expect him to lose a tenth. This is looking very good.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Nervous and excited for quali! Main thing is the drivers need to keep it together, the field looks very tight...

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

For the betting types - now is the time to place them. I doubt bookies follow FP3 as close as we do.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:04
mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:02
Norris lost over half a second to P1 on his fast lap, at the last corner.
Using f1-tempo you can see Norris did not use DRS on the finish line and he lost a massive amount of time there. So it's likely he aborted the lap after he missed apex of the last corner.

Check this out - it's crazy.
https://i.imgur.com/lKby2L3.png
Yeah it's very promising. We are still a long way off what Pole will look like, so there is a lot to discover still about who is hiding pace.

But look at those corners, that is not engine mode, we are fast it seems. Or perhaps we were just pushing more, but I feel quite excited by that telemetry. It was .63 seconds that we lost in that last corner.

Don't get me excited, Lando!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

coltmarshmallow
coltmarshmallow

Regarding the Top speed. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, mclaren's car last year was good when loaded with plenty of wing. At the start of the season with the cost cap the teams produce a baseline car, it's only later on you get different downforce wing configurations like infamously monza.

So I'm interpreting mclarens pace so far that their launch baseline is at a higher downforce/drag trade off then their competitors, especially when you look at s2 at bahrain.

mwillems

coltmarshmallow wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:31
Regarding the Top speed. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, mclaren's car last year was good when loaded with plenty of wing. At the start of the season with the cost cap the teams produce a baseline car, it's only later on you get different downforce wing configurations like infamously monza.

So I'm interpreting mclarens pace so far that their launch baseline is at a higher downforce/drag trade off then their competitors, especially when you look at s2 at bahrain.
You can see that throughout the fast lap, that Lando was at parity with the power of the Ferrari except for the opening and closing of his lap. The final corner we have spoken about, the opening is just a circumstance but for sure we can be faster there too.

-Bandit

mwillems

It's only FP3 of course, and I have to remind myself. Maybe we are just showing too much too early.

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

they did 326 in testing with this rearwing, still things to come

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 16:43
they did 326 in testing with this rearwing, still things to come
With a tow?

If Pole doesn't get into the mid 1:28s at least, I'd be surprised.

Edit: All day three fast laps hit around 312-315 kph for Norris and Piastri.

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

i actually think it was just with drs, they tested in one of the slower laps with more fuel
Se below from last year, so 326 would be a good value, im sure some will maybe even reach 330 this year with one more development year

f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL38

some interesting bits during fp3 about updates

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... rand-prix/

Beyond this, there’s generally a further update planned for the summer months, often incorporating real-world data from the launch car, and perhaps a further update to come after the summer break. As the season goes on, the size and frequency of updates becomes question of balancing resource allocation. For a team locked in a tough fight for championship position, there’s a desire to keep improving the car – but any resources still dedicated to it are resources not being used on the next car. This tends to provide some fairly robust conversations in the summer months.

#THEFIFTHDRIVER
14:29
The minute the launch spec is frozen, the design team turns its attention to the first update. In the past, when winter testing would go on for a couple of months, that update might arrive for race one, with a second update scheduled to arrive when the teams arrived in Europe after the first set of flyaway races. That’s changed a bit with launch and race one only a week apart, so the first round of updates, having already been designed before the cars have turned a wheel, arriving four or five races into the season.

#THEFIFTHDRIVER
14:28
Designing these updates is an on-going project, with nominal release dates pencilled-in to the calendar well in advance of the season starting. The car will go through a series of design freezes. Manufacturing is a long lead-time job, dominated by skilled craftspeople rather than automation (though there’s quite a bit of that too). Thus, the launch spec of the MCL38 will have been frozen towards the end of 2023, to give the manufacturing operation time to produce the launch cars and an appropriate number of spares.

#THEFIFTHDRIVER
14:28
Beyond that, there are the genuine updates. There are different ways of defining these, but a good rule of thumb is that they alter the car to the point where the new and the old configurations aren’t interchangeable – e.g. the floor for a B-spec car can’t be fitted to the launch model.

Darth-Piekus

Im not sure if Red Bull is hiding pace but Mclaren might have the speed for a pole. Im excited and nervous at the same time for everything to go smooth and as well as intended.

f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL38

as some mentioned

mwillems

Teams should top 330 you'd think.

I'm not sure where we are for top speed, but looking at day 3 of testing we didn't top 317, so if Mclaren got to 326 in testing then I suspect a tow was involved.

But for sure we will have some kph in the bank.

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 17:18
Im not sure if Red Bull is hiding pace but Mclaren might have the speed for a pole. Im excited and nervous at the same time for everything to go smooth and as well as intended.
Maybe. Now I'm thinking if we were matching Ferraris speed in FP3 then perhaps we turned the dial up more. I would think Ferrari are still faster on straights.

But who knows.

-Bandit