2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 14:23
So any predictions before the race?
According to data, the McLaren race pace should be strong, they can carry more speed into corners and this may compensate the DRS inefficiency (this is looking bad, I thought that McLaren moved into Red Bull direction with this, but for the moment seems the RW is not responding as predicted).

Also the strategy will play a crucial role in this opening race, as we know Bahrain is not friendly with the tyres. Below are available sets for each driver and the estimated strategy by Pirelli. But we all know that this strategy barely happens in reality :D

mwillems

All the cars are close enough that a little tow is enough to overcome the small differences in speed between the cars. I'm hoping that we will see some hard fought racing throughout the race and no one will be able to pull away easily, unless of course it's Mclaren :D

The car looks pretty good in the corners I think, we were seeing that in FP3 and Q and this is really important when it comes to keeping close to people at the start of the straights when overtaking becomes a possibility. This being a dusty track, overtaking off line will be harder so corners will be a bit tricky to make a move. The car has maintained and improved its strong rear traction so away from the slowest corners we have a good chance of making ground on those in front.

We aren't starting in the best position but we should have an excellent chance in the race, particularly with Lando being probably top 4 on the grid when it comes to racing hard, so here's to an exciting race and hoping that we don't get wiped out at the first corner, which given how tight it will be, seems even more of a risk this year :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Mine is bigger than yours.

-Bandit

mwillems

And one for the folks discussing the speed of the Mclaren, which does have a bit of a bigger wing than RB and Ferrari, but similar to Merc if I recall. Everyone has lost speed but we have lost the most. This is a really interesting sign that the teams have prioritised DF over speed in their setup and possibly in their designs, more time needed to see if that is true, and to see if we are slower in general or just in setup here. Of course, it could well play into tyre life and race performance.

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Hmmm Lando just locked up going into the pits. Hardly clever to flat spot your starting soft tyre… and before that even too.
Lando. Start thinking mate

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:29
Hmmm Lando just locked up going into the pits. Hardly clever to flat spot your starting soft tyre… and before that even too.
Lando. Start thinking mate
They don't use the race tyres on an installation lap. Think mate

Darth-Piekus

Considering the first 5 teams are very close to each other and the ability of every GP affecting strengths and weaknesses of each car could we hope for a title fight for Mclaren in 2024 even though we might lose ground but make up for it with the upgrades that are coming or is Red Bull and Ferrari still too far?

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:16
And one for the folks discussing the speed of the Mclaren, which does have a bit of a bigger wing than RB and Ferrari, but similar to Merc if I recall. Everyone has lost speed but we have lost the most. This is a really interesting sign that the teams have prioritised DF over speed in their setup and possibly in their designs, more time needed to see if that is true, and to see if we are slower in general or just in setup here. Of course, it could well play into tyre life and race performance.

The maximum speed depends on the wind direction.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:49
mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:16

The maximum speed depends on the wind direction.
Yes but it changes direction and the cars have been consistently slower over the sessions and days, so I don't think that is the answer. The rear wings are bigger than last year for a few teams, for instance.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Hopefully our drivers will make a smooth and good start to conpensate for yesterdays Qualifying.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 10:44
If the car was good enough only for Q2, I doubt we would see Lando make these types of mistakes. He is definitely overdriving the car to get to the absolute limit. I can understand him, last year Verstappen was so good so only perfection would be able to match him but Lando should realize that sometimes it is more important to get a good lap then a perfect lap. This may be especially important if the season remains this tight.

I am still hopeful our race pace will be better than the rest and that they will go forward.

For the sake of the season, I hope VER is unable to pull away.
I disagree a bit, I much rather Lando go for it every time… When it doesn’t work (like yesterday) he may not be up the order in Qualy, but when it does, he has put the McLaren in places it didn’t belong.

Much rather have a driver that is very hungry for success and willing to find the limits (and sometimes exceed them), that one that is always at 99%

Darth-Piekus

The thing is that a car can go till 100%. You can't overcome these limits and go faster than the car can handle.

mwillems

Even then pulling back a little sometimes doesn't mean 99% all the times. It's like Stella says, you have to be smart to get the big prizes and the race is won on Sunday.

In this case as Lando said he just got trigger happy with his foot after a poor first corner.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

First overtake of the season! Nicely done!

mwillems

Indeed. I won't be unhappy to see the Red Car go backwards in the race like last year, either.

-Bandit