2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Imo the gap to Ferrari and Merc was masked by their respective issues. The gap to Carlos was quite alarming.

Ben1980
Ben1980

MCLvamos wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 18:50
Imo the gap to Ferrari and Merc was masked by their respective issues. The gap to Carlos was quite alarming.
Did they have issues, I think Norris was comfortable against Hamilton, even though TV tried to make ot exciting.

mwillems

I don't think Russell did but we will find out. I thought I saw stuff come out the rear of his car, but it was once and after that ge was fine. His pace was very close to us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

MCLvamos wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 18:50
An average gap of 0.4s per lap is not really what I would call alarming on a track they said not to judge the form on.

It's not great, but its not "lets throw the towel after 1 race" either.

All teams will be having upgrades, its down to whose will work better. And of course, it might swing from track to track as well.

CjC
CjC

That was ok. Monza 2023 esque I think. Red Bull and Ferrari ahead, scrapping with Merc for what’s left.
I’m keeping my powder dry till this time next week after we’ve seen what happens in Jeddah
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Jeddah -> Australia -> Japan

Each race gets closer to the cars current perceived strengths

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:02
Jeddah -> Australia -> Japan

Each race gets closer to the cars current perceived strengths
Yea holding fire with Australia and Japan till we see upgrades from the entire field
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Towards end of last season, Ferrari were ahead, and we were close with Merc. (Track depending) so, its not a surprise its still very similar.

I think the massive jump we made, makes people think it can happen again, it was pretty unprecedented and also took us from a very low bar.

Battling merc and Ferrari, isn't a bad thing based on recent history!

mwillems

Well they haven't brought much Aero yet, the work happening since August is still happening. I'd hope that we will bring a big step.

-Bandit

pazazamadaz
pazazamadaz

Before testing Stella said something about they hope the rate of the development from last year could be maintained.

EDIT: so he said the same rate had been continued during winter but thats when the upcoming upgrades were developed, surely?

https://racer.com/2024/01/17/mclaren-no ... velopment/

Emag
Emag

pazazamadaz wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:20
Before testing Stella said something about they hope the rate of the development from last year could be maintained.

EDIT: so he said the same rate had been continued during winter but thats when the upcoming upgrades were developed, surely?

https://racer.com/2024/01/17/mclaren-no ... velopment/
Aeordynamically speaking, the surface parts are largely unchanged compared to Abu-Dhabi spec MCL60.

The work they have done under the hood has been phenomenal since its been enough to put them almost on par with teams which look much more developed. And who knows, perhaps on more favorable tracks, they might even be ahead.

Either way, I am confident the team has plenty of room for growth from an aerodynamic perspective, and Stella's comments seem to suggest that.

I really hope they manage to bring something significant in Japan. Its a track that suits the car, and with an extra boost, it would be nice to see how they fare.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:16
And one for the folks discussing the speed of the Mclaren, which does have a bit of a bigger wing than RB and Ferrari, but similar to Merc if I recall. Everyone has lost speed but we have lost the most. This is a really interesting sign that the teams have prioritised DF over speed in their setup and possibly in their designs, more time needed to see if that is true, and to see if we are slower in general or just in setup here. Of course, it could well play into tyre life and race performance.

A thought occurred to me this afternoon on this subject: maybe it's the fuel. The more ethanol in the petrol, the less power for the same compression ratio. Maybe different engines tolerate more and more ethanol in petrol differently. If I remember correctly, every year there is less and less fossil oil in fuel and more and more synthetic oil. Of course, this is just a guess, but the general trend kind of hints at it a bit.
In other words, engine power is going down a bit.

Darth-Piekus

Red Bull's pace was scary. Even if we make a jump like last year I'm not sure we could challenge for a victory at some point.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Lando mentioned it on the post race show. The last corner was awful for them both. Any idea why that corner in particular? Is it off throttle rolling it into the corner?

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:45
mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:16
And one for the folks discussing the speed of the Mclaren, which does have a bit of a bigger wing than RB and Ferrari, but similar to Merc if I recall. Everyone has lost speed but we have lost the most. This is a really interesting sign that the teams have prioritised DF over speed in their setup and possibly in their designs, more time needed to see if that is true, and to see if we are slower in general or just in setup here. Of course, it could well play into tyre life and race performance.

A thought occurred to me this afternoon on this subject: maybe it's the fuel. The more ethanol in the petrol, the less power for the same compression ratio. Maybe different engines tolerate more and more ethanol in petrol differently. If I remember correctly, every year there is less and less fossil oil in fuel and more and more synthetic oil. Of course, this is just a guess, but the general trend kind of hints at it a bit.
In other words, engine power is going down a bit.
Yes you may be right. Did that change again this year? It passed right by me if it did ! 😆

-Bandit