2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:45

A thought occurred to me this afternoon on this subject: maybe it's the fuel. The more ethanol in the petrol, the less power for the same compression ratio. Maybe different engines tolerate more and more ethanol in petrol differently. If I remember correctly, every year there is less and less fossil oil in fuel and more and more synthetic oil. Of course, this is just a guess, but the general trend kind of hints at it a bit.
In other words, engine power is going down a bit.
I think the fuel didn't change, from what I can see, so I'm not sure.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Didn't Andrea Stella said that some upgrades didn't make it to the base car? Is there a reason why a team trying to get to the top didn't bring a fully upgraded car for the first race and resorted to a partially upgraded last years car? What happened and the team has to wait 3 races to get the first upgrade package potentially sacrificing points?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:20
Didn't Andrea Stella said that some upgrades didn't make it to the base car? Is there a reason why a team trying to get to the top didn't bring a fully upgraded car for the first race and resorted to a partially upgraded last years car? What happened and the team has to wait 3 races to get the first upgrade package potentially sacrificing points?
Because things take time.

They clearly upgraded the car because it would not be no where near todays pace.

Stella said they were not able to fix all of the issues and that there are several upgrades/ideas in development. When they mature they will be delivered.

Trust the team.

MTudor
MTudor

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:20

Yeah,they are waiting for you to show them how it's done!!!
Honestly sometimes the comments in here look like they are made by todllers 🤣🤣🤣

Darth-Piekus

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:23

Because things take time.

They clearly upgraded the car because it would not be no where near todays pace.

Stella said they were not able to fix all of the issues and that there are several upgrades/ideas in development. When they mature they will be delivered.

Trust the team.
Obviously some upgrades were made but it wasnt enough. For a team who wants to lead the field at some point they should have been closer to Red Bull than this and 2nd best. I feel like they went back a little though I admit the distance is shorter this time. Also I hope for the upgrades that come to help us outdevelop the rest by the last years marjin.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 02 Mar 2024, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

MTudor wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:32
Yeah,they are waiting for you to show them how it's done!!!
Honestly sometimes the comments in here look like they are made by todllers 🤣🤣🤣
Obviously I have no knowledge to tell them how to do this but it's been 12 years now since the last championship material car.

Emag
Emag

This is how the race panned out last year.
Ignore Lando, cause he pit 700 times, but it does show Bahrain being a track at which RB does really well at in terms of race pace.

Ferrari and Merc were almost 0.9 off RedBull but that gap fluctuated a lot last year from track to track. But apart from the Singapore outlier, they never really beat RedBull.

Hopefully upgrades bring something major, otherwise it's not looking good for the race wins goal.

Darth-Piekus

And can you link today's race pace to see a comparison?

Emag
Emag

This is how the pace was today.

Ben1980
Ben1980

The team have said, everything has been improved in the car from last season. I don't think that can be denied.

But, any expectation that they will suddenly be clearly ahead of the other teams, and closer to RBR is just a wild hope.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

I think the Ferrari pace is a bit of an outlier due to Leclercs brake issues today. Mercedes claiming they lost significantly due to overheating, although I feel it’s being overstated.
8/10s the gap to RB seems a lot!

mwillems

Emag wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:49
https://i.ibb.co/tqpTyvc/RDT-20240302-1 ... 004467.png

This is how the race panned out last year.
Ignore Lando, cause he pit 700 times, but it does show Bahrain being a track at which RB does really well at in terms of race pace.

Ferrari and Merc were almost 0.9 off RedBull but that gap fluctuated a lot last year from track to track. But apart from the Singapore outlier, they never really beat RedBull.

Hopefully upgrades bring something major, otherwise it's not looking good for the race wins goal.
I think most tracks last year will look like they are tracks that Red Bull do well in race pace :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

dia6olo
dia6olo

Vinlarr89 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:01
I think the Ferrari pace is a bit of an outlier due to Leclercs brake issues today. Mercedes claiming they lost significantly due to overheating, although I feel it’s being overstated.
Totally agree, I think Ferrari are likely a little quicker than what we actually saw today, I also think Mercedes claiming they lost 4/5 tenths due to overheating is a massive exaggeration.
Not that I know, just a gut feeling based on what I saw.

Emag
Emag

To me, this race looked a lot like Hungary last year (except that the advantage was nowhere near as big as it was back then).

Basically, the car starts strong early on the stint, but then loses out the longer the stint progresses.

Lando was looking faster than the cars around him after pitting, but that lasted 4-5 laps.

Similar case with Hungary last year, but the advantage lasted longer, and it was quite significant early on (I believe Lando was at points 1s faster than Lewis early on the stints, which is crazy).

Darth-Piekus

Vinlarr89 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:01
Pretty much the distance was the same as last year though we were much closer in Qualifying. However for a team that wants to challenge for wins this year being 8 tenths off the pace is a massive hit in the balls. It's a distance that can't be covered easily considering Red Bull won't be that restricted as last year and you got to keep in mind the talent of Max Verstappen also.

Dont misunderstand me I am grateful seeing the team strong on a GP that doesnt suit the car being slightly better than Mercedes, surpassing Aston Martin by a mile and close to Ferrari. There they progressed nicely and I hope the upgrades are again monstrous like last year but again the team is chasing 8 tenths of pace to match Red Bull and Max. I want to see Norris duking it out on equal footing with Max because Norris is a monster delivering crazy performances with a car that is clearly behind and now time is ticking.