2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

When you look at the data the braking issues are really clear.
Leclerc visibly forced to brake sooner, and resulting in speed repeatedly reduced to 3kph below the entry speeds of Sainz, more than likely due to the average of lock ups.
I don’t actually believe 11-13 to be an issue for leclerc but I do wonder what was different for Sainz

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 03:12
This is stint 2:

https://i.imgur.com/wGTTNwN.jpeg

LEC was behind RUS for all of it practically.

This is stint 3:

https://i.imgur.com/AXVqXNN.jpeg

LEC was behind RUS for half of this.

So yeah, that's a big plus on LEC's side I suppose, but he was still slower (on average lap) than VER in T11.
Great analysis dialtone(as per usual), much appreciated. Could it be that Charles is slower through there because he had to move a lot of the brake bias rearwards? Seems Sainz maybe doesn't trust the car as much through there.

Either way, doesn't seem like it should be an issue for Charles.

dialtone
dialtone

SoulPancake13 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 03:30
dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 03:12
This is stint 2:

https://i.imgur.com/wGTTNwN.jpeg

LEC was behind RUS for all of it practically.

This is stint 3:

https://i.imgur.com/AXVqXNN.jpeg

LEC was behind RUS for half of this.

So yeah, that's a big plus on LEC's side I suppose, but he was still slower (on average lap) than VER in T11.
Great analysis dialtone(as per usual), much appreciated. Could it be that Charles is slower through there because he had to move a lot of the brake bias rearwards? Seems Sainz maybe doesn't trust the car as much through there.

Either way, doesn't seem like it should be an issue for Charles.
I didn't analyse LEC much because his brake issue completely ruined the car balance under braking so yeah, it's entirely possible he had to take corners in a completely different way and any real comparison in braking zone with VER would be completely useless.

It is nice to see his high speed cornering was that strong compared to SAI though.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

JPower
JPower

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 01:19
JPower wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 00:46
As a Ferrari driver, he's done everything that was asked
"Don't make amateur mistakes every other race" is part of a job description, not an added request
We aren’t having any of these conversations if he nearly as bad as you’re insinuating yet we’re here just like we have been for the past 65+ races.

Despite what some might think, this isn’t Schumacher/Barichello, Massa/Alonso, or even Vettel/Raikkonen. And these same “mistakes” are easily applicable to both drivers over their timespan together.

But hey, don’t worry about it. Next year you’ll have a whole new driver to talk down on. Can’t wait to hear what stories you’ll have in store for him.

Sevach
Sevach

SoulPancake13 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:39
Vinlarr89 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:37
If Ferrari want to challenge for wins, they will have to be bold with development. I guess with that comes risks that they might become less consistent and could cost them overall performance.

Are there any rumours of what is being worked in the wind tunnel?
Huge bodywork upgrade for Imola is what has been reported.
Since this car is brand new and behaves very differently from the previous one, i would say improvements won't come just from the wind tunnel.
There might be some setup adjustments that will help the team extract more pace.

The problem is, when you tinker with setup sometimes there might be some unintended consequences, the setup that gives you more qualy and early stint pace, might hurt your tire deg...

So i would urge some patience, and no despair if for whatever reason Ferrari is inconsistent at some odd races before mid season(and maybe after).

I suspect since Ferrari is (in)famous for deg, their current setup is very conservative, just trying to make sure things work, let's see if there's more to come from here.
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:54

I don't think he was in a position to challenge Max. I do think he's upset that Ferrari fell flat on their face with his car in the first race of the season, just like last year.
I don't either, in a cold analysis Max is too far up the road, without having to push...
It's hard to think that Charles could finish this far up the road from Carlos.

But maybe he fancies his chances of "making it difficult" for him, i don't, but maybe he does :mrgreen:
Keeping Verstappen honest, making him react to your strategy choices, would already be a huge step.

f1316
f1316

I don’t think of Vasseur as someone prone to hyperbole so this is encouraging:
“Throughout the weekend we went well on the fastest lap – clarified Vasseur – while on the race pace we need to make progress if we want to compete with Red Bull. Having said that, I consider this race a good starting point given that compared to a year ago our delay is significantly reduced. We will continue to develop the SF-24 and I am confident that we will often fight for first place."
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10582466/

Watto
Watto

The Ferrari without the issues certainly looked a pretty clear 2nd best and closest to RBR, seemed I think to to manage the hard tyres pretty well were some concerns early I thought when Charles said the tyres were going off around lap 8/9 iirc, seemed happier with the hards and lower fuel load

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Watto wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 07:23
The Ferrari without the issues certainly looked a pretty clear 2nd best and closest to RBR, seemed I think to to manage the hard tyres pretty well were some concerns early I thought when Charles said the tyres were going off around lap 8/9 iirc, seemed happier with the hards and lower fuel load
Considering that Leclerc was locking up almost every corner, the deg is fantastic. I was worried that with those lockups he would just sink.

Watto
Watto

CaribouBread wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 07:40
Watto wrote:
Considering that Leclerc was locking up almost every corner, the deg is fantastic. I was worried that with those lockups he would just sink.
Yep agree so far it looks like tyre deg is pretty good.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

https://x.com/f1debrief/status/1763980784778547236?s=46

Charles’ fastest lap was half a second faster than Sainz’s fastest lap despite being hamstrung by the brake issue. Both also consistently lapped near/faster Perez’ pace and were consistently faster than Merc (thanks for the insight, Allison), McLaren and… the rest of the field.

Like I said, it’s only that we dared to hope after testing that today was disappointing (and because I’m confident Charles could have gotten second). This is a fantastic start to the season, confirmation of the design and development choices made long and and during the winter.

I must say I have a lot of confidence in Vasseur. The team feels steadier and more grounded than it has in a long time. There’s been consistent forward momentum since at least mid-season last year which, considering Vasseur inherited the SF-23 is very encouraging.

As others have said, Ferrari has demonstrated that their design and engineering teams are the only ones that can consistently approach the almighty Newey, which is no small feat.

Max is so clear it’s ridiculous, and of course both as an F1 fan and a Ferrari fan, that sucks. Excluding that, however, I feel great about the team and its momentum for the first time in a long time. And while I was criticised for this already, I can see the WCC being in contention this season with strong development and consistent performances.

Let’s see!

Sevach
Sevach

CaribouBread wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 07:40
Watto wrote:
Leclerc had obvious difficulties and was going backwards in the first stint.

Sainz was fine on softs, extended more than anyone not named Verstappen, i was just watching the race on TV but he didn't seem to lose much ground to Russell on fresh tires.

LM10
LM10

dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 02:20
Thinking about it a bit more...

The acceleration can be explained by Max being able to harvest a ton at the end of each straight, however T6-7 and T11-12-13 in my opinion can be explained with some trick that RBR has in its suspension to add stability when the car is rolling, if it was a pure downforce thing, other fast corners would be a lot worse, but it seems the car is just extremely stable on long radius and quick change of direction (like in Spa or Suzuka).
Thank your for your telemetry analyses as always, dialtone.

You mentioned a possible suspension trick when the RB20 is rolling, making it more stable in high speed direction changes. That’s interesting because it was claimed that with the repackaging and higher radiator positioning they might have reduced their roll/pitch/yaw. If that’s actually the case it would not only give them the possibility to use a softer suspension layout (better traction), it also would explain their upper hand when roll matters most which is the case with a highly fueled car (I guess). The ability for Ferrari (particularly Leclerc) to keep up in T11-12-13 increased in the later stages of the race when the cars became lighter.

CHT
CHT

f1316 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 07:16
I don’t think of Vasseur as someone prone to hyperbole so this is encouraging:
“Throughout the weekend we went well on the fastest lap – clarified Vasseur – while on the race pace we need to make progress if we want to compete with Red Bull. Having said that, I consider this race a good starting point given that compared to a year ago our delay is significantly reduced. We will continue to develop the SF-24 and I am confident that we will often fight for first place."
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10582466/
Vasseur other problem is to ensure Ferrari made the right decision to replace Sainz.

Sainz might not always be the quickest during qualifying but he seems to have better race craft.

Farnborough
Farnborough

LM10 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 09:33
dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 02:20
Thinking about it a bit more...

The acceleration can be explained by Max being able to harvest a ton at the end of each straight, however T6-7 and T11-12-13 in my opinion can be explained with some trick that RBR has in its suspension to add stability when the car is rolling, if it was a pure downforce thing, other fast corners would be a lot worse, but it seems the car is just extremely stable on long radius and quick change of direction (like in Spa or Suzuka).
Thank your for your telemetry analyses as always, dialtone.

You mentioned a possible suspension trick when the RB20 is rolling, making it more stable in high speed direction changes. That’s interesting because it was claimed that with the repackaging and higher radiator positioning they might have reduced their roll/pitch/yaw. If that’s actually the case it would not only give them the possibility to use a softer suspension layout (better traction), it also would explain their upper hand when roll matters most which is the case with a highly fueled car (I guess). The ability for Ferrari (particularly Leclerc) to keep up in T11-12-13 increased in the later stages of the race when the cars became lighter.
There's an area of these cars that nobody appears to want to talk about and acknowledge, the RB running a singular top beam on front suspension in major difference to other chassis.

There's school of thought (think Gordon Murray may be one) that consider roll control at front axke as primary in the chassis, then allowing more compliance relatively at the rear.
Theres not particular detail of that link but if significant its attributes over a pure torsion anti roll bar installation (all chassis fitted with one) are a possible area of advantage.
Used in that fashion (single top link) it has far more "latency" with effectively a one to one non geared application direct to wheel upright. Should be without mechanical stiction, maybe integral with rear top legs to use the beam in twist etc.

There just doesn't seem to be considered discussion about this, although existing in plain sight as fundamental difference.