2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:05
mwillems wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:02
Jeddah -> Australia -> Japan

Each race gets closer to the cars current perceived strengths
Yea holding fire with Australia and Japan till we see upgrades from the entire field
It's nice to hear the boys confirming the upbeat assessment of the next three races too, though.

Upgrades aside, I think the car is quick enough to challenge RBR a few times already (If luck blows in our direction). I'm not worried about the finishing positions yesterday, different circumstances and the car was fast enough for fourth and that's how it will go through the year with some Yo-Yo ing of luck and circumstance.

Are we worried about the constructors this year? Personally I am not, I'm enjoying the ride and looking forward to seeing how the team can progress the car.

Should we be worried about late upgrades? I suppose it depends. If they are struggling to get the projects complete and to get the time they were expecting, then this would be bad. I wished a journalist would have asked that question, about whether the gains in those projects were coming later than expected or if they'd chosen simply to put more money into designs than build. If it is the latter, then I'm totally happy with his.

If we go to fourth in the constructors but are just a few points behind others come the summer then I'll take that CFD and tunnel time and keep developing the car.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

I'm somewhat happy after yesterdays race, both drivers did well, the pace was okey, tire management as well. I think the ''slow'' pitstop cost us a place against HAM but overall it was okey for a first race and for a race that as per the team, this track does not suit our car package. However, I just cant, not to think that our main rivals (RBR, FER, MERC) have out developed us yet again this winter. I just feel a bit disheartened as every winter we get out developed and then we play the catch up during the year, we get to a place where we are very competitive ant then the same.... it seems we are stuck in this endless loop.

EDIT*

P.S. It is from P3 but I find this encouraging
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

bauc wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 11:33
I'm somewhat happy after yesterdays race, both drivers did well, the pace was okey, tire management as well. I think the ''slow'' pitstop cost us a place against HAM but overall it was okey for a first race and for a race that as per the team, this track does not suit our car package. However, I just cant, not to think that our main rivals (RBR, FER, MERC) have out developed us yet again this winter. I just feel a bit disheartened as every winter we get out developed and then we play the catch up during the year, we get to a place where we are very competitive ant then the same.... it seems we are stuck in this endless loop.

EDIT*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHlsu_dWUAE ... =4096x4096
My sentiment exactly. There doesn't seem to be any disappointment from the McLaren camp that we have taken a small step backwards by the looks of this weekend, or at least that we still haven't sorted our main weaknesses. Yes, I know we are still in a very good place to build from, but it's a shame we still look to upgrades to sort of get us back on a level playing field.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

MCLvamos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 12:19
bauc wrote:

EDIT*

My sentiment exactly. There doesn't seem to be any disappointment from the McLaren camp that we have taken a small step backwards by the looks of this weekend, or at least that we still haven't sorted our main weaknesses. Yes, I know we are still in a very good place to build from, but it's a shame we still look to upgrades to sort of get us back on a level playing field.
I don’t agree. One lap pace is definitely closer to RB20 even on a track which isn’t high speed. Ferrari has been RBs nearest challenger at the beginning of last year and it’s stayed that way, they’ve sorted out their tyre deg.
It was always going to be the case that Merc would jump back into the mix too.

So yes on first look it seems a step backwards but realistically we’d never jump further forwards again in the off season. To get the Silverstone upgrade done took a lot of resource (tunnel and budget and manpower) whilst others will have worked on the ‘24 challenger.

The next upgrade package will chart our course for the year so let’s hope it’s a good one.

I’m still puzzled why in particular the last corner was such a bogey corner for the chassis. If we can sort that out then our race pace would have been TONS better. 0.25s/lap for 57 laps equals 14sec

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 12:19
bauc wrote:

EDIT*

It's just one race, one we expected to not be in front at this track. Even then the only team clearly ahead is RB who had more time to spend on their car.

I'm impressed, I always thought it would be a massive job to keep parity with RB. But two tenths and we are back to where we were last year so there is very little in it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

I continue to be perplexed by the media who stop just short of outright derision of McLaren, following an off season ignoring them as contenders for top three constructors. Even the normally perceptive Mark Hughes seems unimpressed. Okay, on paper the results didn't look amazing but it's clear that they are on Bahrain circuit pretty well level with Mercedes and a few tenths shy of Ferrari. Well journos - we shouldn't need long memories to have the last laugh on you. I'm pretty confident we'll be vying for podiums very soon once we hit some faster tracks. Lando and Oscar were full of fun after the race giving the impression they are confident this was merely a precursor to the real performances of the year.

Emag
Emag

BMMR61 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 13:40
I continue to be perplexed by the media who stop just short of outright derision of McLaren, following an off season ignoring them as contenders for top three constructors. Even the normally perceptive Mark Hughes seems unimpressed. Okay, on paper the results didn't look amazing but it's clear that they are on Bahrain circuit pretty well level with Mercedes and a few tenths shy of Ferrari. Well journos - we shouldn't need long memories to have the last laugh on you. I'm pretty confident we'll be vying for podiums very soon once we hit some faster tracks. Lando and Oscar were full of fun after the race giving the impression they are confident this was merely a precursor to the real performances of the year.
It will be like this for a while unfortunately. McLaren had a hard falling from grace early 2010s and only just recently have they begun showing signs of former glory.

They would have to keep this up for a while, occasionally beating Mercedes and Ferrari, and at some point, it will be impossible to ignore them.

Fred
Fred

Emag wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 14:09
BMMR61 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 13:40
It will be like this for a while unfortunately. McLaren had a hard falling from grace early 2010s and only just recently have they begun showing signs of former glory.

They would have to keep this up for a while, occasionally beating Mercedes and Ferrari, and at some point, it will be impossible to ignore them.
Perhaps, but they seemed to have all thought Aston would be where we are, and for us to be where Aston is. Looking at Aston’s past history and testing, I’m completely clueless as to how they came to that conclusion.

It’s similar nearly every year, and while McLaren does like to sandbag, I feel like they should’ve caught onto that by now. Either way, everyone writing us off allows us to be quietly confident which isn’t a bad position to be in during testing.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 22:55
taperoo2k wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 22:48
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:42
And that is my main issue here. The have frozen the engines so nobody has another way to battle Red Bull, they have limited tyre suppliers so that strips another way to battle Red Bull and pretty much limited the budget so you couldn't put a huge amount of money to be able to have all the upgrades ready on time. In the end the rules have only allowed aerodynamic evolution and ground effect that only Newey has seen in his life and obviously has an advantage. Pretty much whatever we manage this year will follow to the next year till 2026.
Overall McLaren showed decent race pace, if the developments are anything like last season, then we should see another McLaren Rocketship appear.
I'd exercise caution with this kind of expectation, honestly.
Last summer was really the perfect storm for McLaren to make the jump they did: two out of three teams showed up with dodgy cars and we're busy figuring out what to do with concept that was no longer viable, Aston had some of their pace stripped of them (allegedly) due to front wing changes, and RB had no reason to continue developing their car. That won't be the case this year.

MCL did a good job last year by figuring out a few months before the season started what they really needed to do, but their jump wouldn't have been nearly as impressive if it wasn't for the factors I listed.
I'm a long-term McLaren fan, my expectations are set to low. If any team manages to find a massive leap in performance, it'll be labelled as a rocket ship and "Can they challenge Red bull" statements will start up.
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 22:55
taperoo2k wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 22:48
It's the same old story in F1. A team finds the most optimal solution for a set of regulations and runs away with both championships. The rest of the teams play catch up. If McLaren are on the right development path, then they have a chance of putting pressure onto RedBull. A shake up in the Power unit and aero regulations should make for a more interesting season in 2026. I still firmly believe McLaren have the ability to produce a championship winning car even as a customer team.

Overall McLaren showed decent race pace, if the developments are anything like last season, then we should see another McLaren Rocketship appear.
I agree but the moment you see a team dominate for so long why keep the rules stable? Change them completely, unfreeze the engines and change the status quo. Why is it nessesary for the rules to stay like this till 2026? It will also be good for the sport to shuffle the deck.
You can't make big regulatory changes without doing the leg work first. Hence the regulation changes for 2026, not even sure they've finalised the aero regulations yet. Could they tighten up the current regulations to even out of the performance? Yes. But Red Bull would kick up a stink about being targeted for being too successful.

SilviuAgo

Re: McLaren MCL38

Interesting slow motion with turn 10, where many cars struggled. MCL 38 has a nice and steady approach on this turn. So the floor is for sure a step forward vs last year. Now McLaren need to address the aerodynamic performance. I hope David Sanchez to be a plus on this area of the car.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I do not buy a theory you can't catch up in am age of cost cap. Sure you can't outspend to catch up but you have level playing field.

With the reduced rnd time for better teams it should lead to reduced field spread. It is just that Red Bull nailed it and may have unfair advantage with their second team being able to explore ideas for them.

I think the ideas of cost cap and rnd reduction are sound but maybe they need more rnd penalties if a team is dominant several years in a row. First year 25%, second 50, ...

This is a McLaren thread and I feel that the team is on right trajectory and seem very optimistic for the season. I think they earned our trust.

genarro
genarro

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 15:00
I do not buy a theory you can't catch up in am age of cost cap. Sure you can't outspend to catch up but you have level playing field.

With the reduced rnd time for better teams it should lead to reduced field spread. It is just that Red Bull nailed it and may have unfair advantage with their second team being able to explore ideas for them.

I think the ideas of cost cap and rnd reduction are sound but maybe they need more rnd penalties if a team is dominant several years in a row. First year 25%, second 50, ...

This is a McLaren thread and I feel that the team is on right trajectory and seem very optimistic for the season. I think they earned our trust.
It isnt that simple about other teams catching up. Williams had almost double the rnd time of RB but they are still at the back. The biggest problem for other teams is the cap ex where even infrastructure spending is forbidden. That is the reason why wovles (of williams) was so vocal because they cant compete with outdated infrastructure. Thats why stella, brown and seidl were pushing for the new wind tunnel and simulator (and other things) and thank god for that.

However i think f1 and fia should push red bull to sell the other team. I give them credit that they saved the team by buying them but if they would sell thm now they would be more than compensated with their return of investment.

Anyways i for one am not seeing us as regresing backwards to 4th because we simply cannot compare to last year because the car was soooo bad in bahrain. If the later spec of mcl60 would race it would probably be 4th fastest on this track. Bring on the other races!

Lets go McLaren

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Anyone got an explanation as to why the last corner in particular was our nemesis on this track?

Emag
Emag

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 15:25
Anyone got an explanation as to why the last corner in particular was our nemesis on this track?
We don't really know. Hopefully they do. No mention of it was made during/after testing too. Might have been some weird side effect of a setup change.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 15:25
Norris said that it felt like the car was on 1 wheel in T14 during the post race F1 TV interview so I think the car is too stiff.
A lion must kill its prey.