2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

CHT wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 08:03
djos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 06:16
The only part of the race that was unfair to Yuki was the first pit stop being left far too late. Being undercut like that put him in the position where Daniel could catch him.
Team order in competitive sports is very actually very rare unless it is necessary. In this case, there was really nothing to fight for because P10 was certainly out of reach.
Daniel Was a lot faster than Yuki and they clearly wanted to see how far he could go. Yuki was on times same tires as KMag which likely contributed to him being unable to pass him.

But if Yuki throws tantrums when there’s no points on the line, the team won’t trust him when there are, and may just undercut Yuki in pitstops if they feel he’s going to get in the way of a better overall result.

At the end of the day, Yuki is hurting himself by not playing the team game.
"In downforce we trust"

CHT
CHT

djos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 08:16
CHT wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 08:03
djos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 06:16
The only part of the race that was unfair to Yuki was the first pit stop being left far too late. Being undercut like that put him in the position where Daniel could catch him.
Team order in competitive sports is very actually very rare unless it is necessary. In this case, there was really nothing to fight for because P10 was certainly out of reach.
Daniel Was a lot faster than Yuki and they clearly wanted to see how far he could go. Yuki was on times same tires as KMag which likely contributed to him being unable to pass him.

But if Yuki throws tantrums when there’s no points on the line, the team won’t trust him when there are, and may just undercut Yuki in pitstops if they feel he’s going to get in the way of a better overall result.

At the end of the day, Yuki is hurting himself by not playing the team game.
There was no team order for Ric not to race or overtake Yuki.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

I'm with Yuki on this one.

- first race of the season
- no points on the line
- he's in a direct fight with RIC for the RBR seat
- outqualified RIC comfortably
- gets screwed by the teams strategy
- last laps of the race
- fighting for position (~0.5s behind MAG)
- asked to move over and gift the position to his rival

No matter how you spin it, it was a dumb request the team should never have asked and none of the true racers would have obeyed (imagine young Vettel or Verstappen in that same situation LOL)

Wouter

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 14:35

- no points on the line
- last laps of the race

No matter how you spin it, it was a dumb request the team should never have asked and none of the true racers would have obeyed (imagine young Vettel or Verstappen in that same situation LOL)
Exactly!!👍
The Power of Dreams!

Watto
Watto

Yep I don’t think it was right to ask Yuki to let him pass when he was within 0.5 seconds if it was 5 seconds I get I Yuki on the cool down lap though was childish

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

aMessageToCharlie wrote:

- no points on the line
- last laps of the race

If it was or wasn't a dumb decision by the team? Yuki chucked his toys out of the pram and behaved badly on the cool down lap. Save the anger for the race debrief. If anything, Yuki has probably damaged his chances of the RBR seat. They'll want someone who can take team orders on the chin, and not risk the cars.

JPower
JPower

aMessageToCharlie wrote:

- no points on the line
- last laps of the race

Same here.

If they weren't going for points, Ricciardo should've had to pass him by force. Honestly, there's nothing about Ricciardo right now that suggests he'd be any better than Perez's current form at Red Bull.
Last edited by JPower on 03 Mar 2024, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

fourmula1
fourmula1

taperoo2k wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 16:46
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

- no points on the line
- last laps of the race

If it was or wasn't a dumb decision by the team? Yuki chucked his toys out of the pram and behaved badly on the cool down lap. Save the anger for the race debrief. If anything, Yuki has probably damaged his chances of the RBR seat. They'll want someone who can take team orders on the chin, and not risk the cars.
I think you are both right.

Pathetic to ask them to swap in that situation in my opinion. Let them race.

Yuki could have been more chill. But I like the fire.

I do fear the team will prioritize the Ricciardo brand instead of the performance.

HPD

I read that it was Ricciardo who asked for the change of positions, is it true?
I thought it was the team's idea, but apparently it was Ricciardo who proposed it and then we heard on the radio that he was upset that Yuki wouldn't let him through.
I could call Ricciardo immature because the team didn't give him what he wanted, but honestly these things happen very often in racing, just look at Ferrari hahaha

The team also has to improve its decision making, not everything that Ricciardo advises may be the best strategy. The equipment here left a lot to be desired, they seemed very noobs.

In short, for me the biggest culprit in all this was the team. Ricciardo is a runner just like Yuki, he always seeks to be ahead and win everything.
The team is the problem

djos

You guys need to pay more attention to F1 - teams ask drivers to move over for their team mates who are on soft tire strategies all the time.

Yuki had a lot of laps to get by KMag and failed, it’s entirely fair for the team to let the the guy on soft tires through to have a crack.

This was apparently agreed with the team in advance of the race!

Yuki throwing his toys out of the pram has hurt him and no one else. It’s proven he still lacks maturity.
"In downforce we trust"

Enstone
Enstone

"Yuki throwing his toys out of the pram has hurt him and no one else. It’s proven he still lacks maturity."

For sure !

I prefer Liam Lawson let's see what will happend during this season, it could be Yuki's last season !

djos

Just to confirm, this was the teams pre race plan if Daniel was on the soft tires.
“I think he was obviously frustrated with the team orders but let’s be real, this is something we talked about before the race, you know.

“It was very likely I was going to use a soft at the end of the race so he knew that there was a chance that I would have a pace advantage at the end and if he gets a call, then it’s going to happen.

“It’s also not like he’s not giving me points, we’re fighting for P13 so at least give us the best chance to get at least one car in the points.”
https://apple.news/Av8odN5SuRf60jGyGE4Deuw
"In downforce we trust"

CHT
CHT

djos wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 23:30
Just to confirm, this was the teams pre race plan if Daniel was on the soft tires.
“I think he was obviously frustrated with the team orders but let’s be real, this is something we talked about before the race, you know.

“It was very likely I was going to use a soft at the end of the race so he knew that there was a chance that I would have a pace advantage at the end and if he gets a call, then it’s going to happen.

“It’s also not like he’s not giving me points, we’re fighting for P13 so at least give us the best chance to get at least one car in the points.”
The race plan was for scoring points, not for one teammate to finish ahead of the other.
If there aren't any points at stake TP should drop the plan and let them race, especially when Yuki is 0.5 sec behind Kevin.

djos

CHT wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 00:06
djos wrote:

The race plan was for scoring points, not for one teammate to finish ahead of the other.
If there aren't any points at stake TP should drop the plan and let them race, especially when Yuki is 0.5 sec behind Kevin.
Doesn’t matter, this is what the TP said.
We had Daniel on a new set of soft tyres for that final stint and we swapped our cars to give ourselves a chance to overtake Kevin (Magnussen) and Zhou (Guanyu) but ultimately it was not enough, and we had to settle for P13 and P14.
Yuki sulking for a lap cost any chance of getting a better finish.

Yuki claims he was alongside KMag when he got the order, so why didn’t he overtake? Frankly, he’s full of it, the team wouldn’t have swapped them if Yuki was past KMag in the straight.

In fact I went and checked the footage from F1 on YouTube and the order was given just before the main straight.

"In downforce we trust"

Watto
Watto

djos wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 00:21
CHT wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 00:06
djos wrote:

Doesn’t matter, this is what the TP said.
We had Daniel on a new set of soft tyres for that final stint and we swapped our cars to give ourselves a chance to overtake Kevin (Magnussen) and Zhou (Guanyu) but ultimately it was not enough, and we had to settle for P13 and P14.
Yuki sulking for a lap cost any chance of getting a better finish.

Yuki claims he was alongside KMag when he got the order, so why didn’t he overtake? Frankly, he’s full of it, the team wouldn’t have swapped them if Yuki was past KMag in the straight.

In fact I went and checked the footage from F1 on YouTube and the order was given just before the main straight.

I'm a Ricc fan and kinda get his pov here about being pre planned But I can't imagine he would be happy if roles were reversed if he was within 0.5~ of someone and was told to swap positions with your team mate. If there was a 4-5 second gap its a clear choice not sure the gap that was there means it was the right call even if it was talked about i question if they saw it being that close (though maybe not quite as Yuki explained either)