2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 23:24
-wkst- wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:36
I guess Matt Harman could be a good fit, looking at the 2026 regs, as he was head of power train integration and transmission design for Mercedes in their "golden era".
You don't think Honda should hire would they want ? or already has someone in the job ?
PU integration in the car is the job of Honda?

Harman switched from Mercedes powertrains to the Mercedes F1 team in 2011 and stayed there until 2018 to lead exactly this area (PU integration and transmission design).

@xReVo

I don't think the misery of Alpine/Renault has anything to do with a single individuum...

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 03:15
Would the goal be to reach McLaren? Seriously not even in nightmares
I think the goal in Jeddah is to get closer to that group yes. Lets see what they are able to do, even if we finish P9 again but by a noticeably closer distance it would be a good improvement already in only a week.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 14:02
xReVo wrote:
I think the goal in Jeddah is to get closer to that group yes. Lets see what they are able to do, even if we finish P9 again but by a noticeably closer distance it would be a good improvement already in only a week.
Call me Crazy, but if Alonso can repeat the Bahrain speed ,then in Jeddah he can easily put the Aston in the first row at qualification. The race is an another story (if they waiting to Safety car) ,but the car top speed is decent.

-wkst-
-wkst-

We have not seen a 2024 car driving through a fast corner, so what's the sense discussing already concrete results?

"miles ahead" of McLaren I just want to note...

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 14:49
We have not seen a 2024 car driving through a fast corner, so what's the sense discussing already concrete results?

Krack said they hope to be closer in Jeddah. Obviously I dont think we can expect too big of a change in a single week.

“[For Jeddah] we will have some small developments to improve the car. And we hope that we can be closer.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/asto ... /10582933/

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:

Agree

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 14:12
KimiRai wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 14:02
xReVo wrote:
Call me Crazy, but if Alonso can repeat the Bahrain speed ,then in Jeddah he can easily put the Aston in the first row at qualification. The race is an another story (if they waiting to Safety car) ,but the car top speed is decent.
I agree. In general, I think, single lap speed is harder to improve than degradation. Especially after only 1 race.

xReVo
xReVo

-wkst- wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 08:31
diffuser wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 23:24
-wkst- wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:36
I guess Matt Harman could be a good fit, looking at the 2026 regs, as he was head of power train integration and transmission design for Mercedes in their "golden era".
You don't think Honda should hire would they want ? or already has someone in the job ?
PU integration in the car is the job of Honda?

Harman switched from Mercedes powertrains to the Mercedes F1 team in 2011 and stayed there until 2018 to lead exactly this area (PU integration and transmission design).

@xReVo

I don't think the misery of Alpine/Renault has anything to do with a single individuum...
Just as the success of the Mercedes engine is not due to Harman. He also made statements in the presentation of the A524 taking responsibility and then 2 weeks later he makes his own resignation. I don't want to blame everything, but what did he do to make things better?

xReVo
xReVo

KimiRai wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 14:53
-wkst- wrote:

Krack said they hope to be closer in Jeddah. Obviously I dont think we can expect too big of a change in a single week.

“[For Jeddah] we will have some small developments to improve the car. And we hope that we can be closer.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/asto ... /10582933/
These are circuit specific improvements. Honestly, for me Aston Martin, after half the past season used as a test, cannot afford to be the fifth force, even with this gap. But are you really satisfied with this? It looks like the amr23 post Canada, same problems on the front after months and months of testing etc. I was confident and optimistic, but little by little it's slipping away

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:39
Honestly, for me Aston Martin, after half the past season used as a test, cannot afford to be the fifth force, even with this gap. But are you really satisfied with this? It looks like the amr23 post Canada, same problems on the front after months and months of testing etc. I was confident and optimistic, but little by little it's slipping away
Stroll Sr himself said the target for 2024 was to improve from 5th place so yes you are right, anything below that is a failure.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:47
xReVo wrote:
Honestly, for me Aston Martin, after half the past season used as a test, cannot afford to be the fifth force, even with this gap. But are you really satisfied with this? It looks like the amr23 post Canada, same problems on the front after months and months of testing etc. I was confident and optimistic, but little by little it's slipping away
Stroll Sr himself said the target for 2024 was to improve from 5th place so yes you are right, anything below that is a failure.
If Aston wouldn't be fast at 1lap I would worry also, because last year after Canada this happened. But this year actually Aston was fast on 1lap and in all sector! Anyway if you check the Q3 times from 23vs24 ,then they made a huge step at winter,just of course others made also. I think in the car have potential to fight against Ferrari,Mercedes and McLaren. I would wait at least more 2 race.

KimiRai
KimiRai

According to recent history, Alonso is usually a bit poor in Saudi GP qualy, its a weak qualy track for him. Behind Ocon both 21 and 22 and 2 tenths ahead of STR in 23 but if I remember correctly STR made a mistake at turn 22 when he was running similar to Alonsos time.

Bahrain qualy was a bit of a poor show by Lance (traffic or not) while Alo did well, but I expect him to be closer to STR in Jeddah qualy. Of course Id like to be proven wrong but that is the trend for Jeddah.
Last edited by KimiRai on 06 Mar 2024, 01:31, edited 5 times in total.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Well, Haas was pretty fast in Q the whole last year and still is (only 3 tenths behind AMR in fastest Q times). In the races however they were nowhere last year and still are.
xReVo wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:36
Just as the success of the Mercedes engine is not due to Harman. He also made statements in the presentation of the A524 taking responsibility and then 2 weeks later he makes his own resignation. I don't want to blame everything, but what did he do to make things better?
I think you should just stop solely look at results or "corporate speak" at presentations to judge if someone is good or not. Alpine simply has not the working environment or support from Renault needed to succeed in F1, simply as that. Every good engineer will jump ship rather sooner than later. Harman has earned a very good reputation at Mercedes, he won't need long to find a new good job I strongly believe...

xReVo
xReVo

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:57
KimiRai wrote:
xReVo wrote:
If Aston wouldn't be fast at 1lap I would worry also, because last year after Canada this happened. But this year actually Aston was fast on 1lap and in all sector! Anyway if you check the Q3 times from 23vs24 ,then they made a huge step at winter,just of course others made also. I think in the car have potential to fight against Ferrari,Mercedes and McLaren. I would wait at least more 2 race.
For your information, the gap in the flying lap between Aston, Ferrari and Redbull was almost 4 tenths (taking Leclerc's time in Q2 as a reference), which is a lot. And this happened in Bahrain which is not a motor track, in other tracks such as Baku, Monza but also Arabia itself, potentially in the flying lap he will take 1 second of gap. (without thinking about the race pace which will be even worse). Do you understand my concerns now? This is why I keep saying that the first race was fundamental, but it's gone now. And don't expect McLaren-style improvements, because I remember they had them after the proprietary wind tunnel.

jofs89
jofs89

xReVo wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 21:18
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 17:57
KimiRai wrote:

For your information, the gap in the flying lap between Aston, Ferrari and Redbull was almost 4 tenths (taking Leclerc's time in Q2 as a reference), which is a lot. And this happened in Bahrain which is not a motor track, in other tracks such as Baku, Monza but also Arabia itself, potentially in the flying lap he will take 1 second of gap. (without thinking about the race pace which will be even worse). Do you understand my concerns now? This is why I keep saying that the first race was fundamental, but it's gone now. And don't expect McLaren-style improvements, because I remember they had them after the proprietary wind tunnel.
I think this is a bit catastrophising after one race after one race. Alonso was 3.5 tenths off pole, that is not even taking into account possible track evolution of up to 1 tenth (as we're in hypothetical land) then apparently he made a mistake on the last corner which which cost him 1.5 tenths... So damn, the Aston was only 1 tenth slower than the Red Bull!!

Thought I would restore some balance in hypothetical land.