2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 07 - 09

Aston & mclaren are fast in S1, alonso and norris are easy flatout in T7-8, but dont have much speed on straights. So far they're compensating by being fast in corners, but i don't think they'd be able to sustain their positions in the race. Too much drag.
RB has their evergreen straight line advantage (though not as much as previously) in this track and are still competitive in corners. Not as fast as aston & macca, but close. They have 8-10 kmh advantage over them on straights. Merc is somewhere in between.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Juzh wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 16:33
Aston & mclaren are fast in S1, alonso and norris are easy flatout in T7-8, but dont have much speed on straights. So far they're compensating by being fast in corners, but i don't think they'd be able to sustain their positions in the race. Too much drag.
RB has their evergreen straight line advantage (though not as much as previously) in this track and are still competitive in corners. Not as fast as aston & macca, but close. They have 8-10 kmh advantage over them on straights. Merc is somewhere in between.
I'm suspicious of Merc's wing choice here.

Cs98
Cs98

Juzh wrote:
Merc is very strong on the straights with their modified rear wing from last year.

AMG.Tzan

Cs98 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 16:42
Juzh wrote:
Merc is very strong on the straights with their modified rear wing from last year.
Where were they losing 0,3 on the last sector (which is basically two big straights) then??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cs98 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
That’s what I thought. Russell was fastest in s2.Hamilton second fastest.

Cs98
Cs98

AMG.Tzan wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 16:48
Cs98 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Where were they losing 0,3 on the last sector (which is basically two big straights) then??
Who said they were losing 3 tenths in the final sector? Both Max and George did a 28,6s S3 on their fastest laps.

Luscion
Luscion

Waz
Waz

Juzh wrote:
Alonso had a similar top speed deficit last year and lead the race at times. Maybe they can still trim a bit of downforce back if they're easily flat in some corners and gain a bit in top speed.

Alonso might look at the ultimate lap time for qualifying though, and just see if he can hang on from there.

A lot depends on if he thinks he could beat the Ferrari's in Q and start 1st or 2nd row.

venkyhere
venkyhere

From McLaren thread :

RedBull seems to be trying the highest level of downforce amongst these four.

dialtone
dialtone

It looks to me like it's pretty obviously Ferrari.

The main plane ends with the scoop above the curvature of the wing, so more load on the main plane, and the DRS flap is also more vertical than that of RBR. Hard to judge exactly anyway but RBR would be bigger (or same) only with some alignment issues on the picture.

venkyhere
venkyhere

dialtone wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 17:50

The main plane ends with the scoop above the curvature of the wing, so more load on the main plane, and the DRS flap is also more vertical than that of RBR. Hard to judge exactly anyway but RBR would be bigger (or same) only with some alignment issues on the picture.
I was looking at the surface of the main plane that meets the DRS actuator 'swan neck' -> the Redbull one seems to have the higher AoA than Ferrari one.
And the size of Redbull's DRS flap is bigger than that of Ferrari (more DRS delta)
Last edited by venkyhere on 07 Mar 2024, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

AM seem to be using a lower engine mode

cplchanb
cplchanb

venkyhere wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 17:57
dialtone wrote:

I was looking at the surface of the main plane that meets the DRS actuator 'swan neck' -> the Redbull one seems to have the higher AoA than Ferrari one.
And the size of Redbull's DRS flap is bigger than that of Ferrari (more DRS delta)
isnt the size of the drs flap regulated? whats stopping teams from creating a mega flap thats half the size of the mainplane?

dialtone
dialtone

venkyhere wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 17:57
dialtone wrote:

Hard to judge by the DRS swan neck because the ferrari neck is less than half the size of the RBR one and there are no reflections or light to allow understand how steep the curvature becomes for Ferrari. From the front view the Ferrari one looks equivalent, and the first half of the neck for RBR also looks pretty flat.

The difference between those 2 seem minimal to me anyway, the DRS flap in particular seem to have more angle on Ferrari, and yeah seems like RBR has a bigger DRS flap, but size of DRS flap not going to impact DF more than its angle.