2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

issey wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 01:19
I watched the replay from FP2 in Bahrain and on Fernandos fastest lap he also used GO1, even 3 times.
So it doesn't mean anything. There is a non steering wheel PU setting.

zoroastar

jofs89 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 01:32
issey wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 22:56
As somebody said above he was in traffic and it seemed like they were trying some stuff out in terms of driving behind a car. It also seems like it was intentional because his engineer talked about it:
Context is everything folks. Hards to draw any clear conclusions from FP2 other than the car is slower than the Red Bull in race trim (shock!) and the quali pace is good.
yeah he also did more laps than anyone except for perez, meaning he was carrying a lot of fuel (redbull was too im sure). that along with the fact that they were obviously experimenting with following cars for some reason, hard to draw many conclusions, other than the obvious. hate to see what people would be saying if ALO wasnt fast af in the quali sims

RoadRep
RoadRep

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 02:45
issey wrote:
I watched the replay from FP2 in Bahrain and on Fernandos fastest lap he also used GO1, even 3 times.
No there is not. They also have the STRAT settings and you can listen to the engineer asking Alonso to change that often. Maybe this year it gets more difficult to spot because of all the issues with team radios, but it's been there nonetheless all past season. GO1 is what the engineer tells Alonso always before each hotlap, so it's like a non-recharge mode. Then when it ends goes always back to COOL. But it can be on STRAT5 or STRAT12...

jofs89
jofs89

zoroastar wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 08:19
jofs89 wrote:
issey wrote:
As somebody said above he was in traffic and it seemed like they were trying some stuff out in terms of driving behind a car. It also seems like it was intentional because his engineer talked about it:
Context is everything folks. Hards to draw any clear conclusions from FP2 other than the car is slower than the Red Bull in race trim (shock!) and the quali pace is good.
yeah he also did more laps than anyone except for perez, meaning he was carrying a lot of fuel (redbull was too im sure). that along with the fact that they were obviously experimenting with following cars for some reason, hard to draw many conclusions, other than the obvious. hate to see what people would be saying if ALO wasnt fast af in the quali sims
I can understand people being disappointed with the race pace in Bahrain, as I was one of them. However, AMR clearly has a fast car on low fuel and I think the technical team are good enough to figure out the set-up/suspension/ride height issues that are causing the race pace to sub-optimal. It might take a bit of time but I'd say it's not a bad base to be starting from, obviously not absolutely ideal. I'd rather this than the AMR24 is just slow but has good tyre deg.

It reminds me a bit of Merc in 2012/13 where the car was quick in quali but ate it's tyres a bit. It's safe to say they ended up figuring it out and did OK the next few years...

-wkst-
-wkst-

We will see what happens on Saturday. Checking the mini sectors I am a bit more optimistic now. First I thought that everybody can improve on a 2nd or 3rd flyer except ALO (meaning that he is already in the comfort zone with the tyres and others have something in the bag with further track evolution), but that wasn't the case. He also set some mini purple sectors in his inlap (lap 6 of the stint), matching his S1 time, not so bad in my opinion. Time was 1 sec faster than his FP2 last year.

But Fabrega reports a raise in tyre pressure for today - maybe that changes the picture again...

Waz
Waz

Changing tire pressure before FP3 must be such a headache for engineers and drivers.

jofs89
jofs89

Waz wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 13:25
Changing tire pressure before FP3 must be such a headache for engineers and drivers.
Must be so annoying! Arbitrarily changing variables halfway through the practices seems pretty unfair to the teams (especially the one's that have done the best job up until that point). Typical F1 though.

Vanja #66

This is standard practice between Day 1 and Day 2 for years, on Day 1 teams are "allowed" to offset lower grip levels on dirty tracks with slightly lower tyre pressure. Sometimes it's just front tyres, sometimes it's both fronts and rears.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

diffuser

RoadRep wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 09:07
diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 02:45
issey wrote:
No there is not. They also have the STRAT settings and you can listen to the engineer asking Alonso to change that often. Maybe this year it gets more difficult to spot because of all the issues with team radios, but it's been there nonetheless all past season. GO1 is what the engineer tells Alonso always before each hotlap, so it's like a non-recharge mode. Then when it ends goes always back to COOL. But it can be on STRAT5 or STRAT12...
So GO1 is a STRAT setting. STRAT is an abbreviation for STRATEGY and it's energy recovery MAP(Mainly how to deploy the MGU-H). GO1 would put the MGU-H minimal energy recovery setting but used for max turbo boost. I don't think it changes anything else cause they change it all the time during the race and you're not allowed to change the engine maps anymore unless you have a PU problem(you have to use the same engine map in the race as you did in Quali).

peewon

zoroastar wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 08:19
jofs89 wrote:
issey wrote:
Not necessarily. Teams usually run those stints with race fuel loads regardless of how many laps they actually run. Moreover, the telling stat is the fading away of lap times which is indicative of significant tyre wear as opposed to the times of the other top teams which remain consistent over a stint.

Sevach
Sevach

It makes sense for Mercedes engined cars to run a little harder this FP after they struggled so bad with cooling.
Including Aston wanting to run on dirty air.

issey
issey

Sevach wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 16:19
It makes sense for Mercedes engined cars to run a little harder this FP after they struggled so bad with cooling.
Including Aston wanting to run on dirty air.
Aston didn’t have any problems

xReVo
xReVo

Alonso sixth on the same tire as the others in pl3, as previously mentioned this car is also slow in qualifying in my opinion.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

xReVo wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 16:41
Alonso sixth on the same tire as the others in pl3, as previously mentioned this car is also slow in qualifying in my opinion.
Did you watch the FP3 or just came here to write this down? After redlap everything was,just not time to prepare the tyres or get clean air etcetera. :D His FP2 time was much faster than FP3

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

And less than a tenth away from Perez (P3).

I wouldn't say slow for qualy.

Let alone the real proof that was the last qualy, a week ago, when he could have ended P2 with just a little luck.

The car is slow with fuel weight, that's it. No need to invent additional problems.