2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

In reality, are we just were we expected to be? Rbr well clear, Ferrari bit ahead, close with Merc and probably ahead of Aston slightly.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:56
Lando says he isn’t as confident about overtaking Alonso in the race as he was in Bahrain. A LOT of talk about the poor straight line speed, supposedly it was improved over the winter but clearly not enough.

Some major aero updates are required
Yeah to be honest the straight line deficit is quite significant. Alonso is a great starter so I am not counting on it, but maybe Oscar can jump him at the start. Otherwise we would have to rely on Alonso falling off to overtake him, or through strategy. Assuming we are quicker than him like in Bahrain ...

Marc.W

I'm 50/50 so far, pleased that we've started the season on front foot for once, but loosing 2-4 tenths in the final sector is a joke in my opinion, hopefully the upgrade we're being promised is vast and works.

SilviuAgo

So happy for Oscar :)

bauc

Marc.W wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 21:16
I'm 50/50 so far, pleased that we've started the season on front foot for once, but loosing 2-4 tenths in the final sector is a joke in my opinion, hopefully the upgrade we're being promised is vast and works.
I share the same, the bar was pushed high last season, I'm starting to feel a dishearten. But with a good race tomorrow we can get to the podium, I'm sure of it! GO MCLAREN!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

SilviuAgo wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 21:29
So happy for Oscar :)

How on Earth are Alpine slower?? I get there's a few mitigating factors here and there but with a whole year of the development curve and they are a fair chunk slower. Forgive me if I'm missing something but looks like something's gone seriously wrong beyond just ineffective car development.

Jambier

Alpine was also slower in Bahrain…

Anyway, if you look even at a good early 2023 car like Aston, they have gained almost 1s compare to last year qualy

It is crazy the amounts of gains that a team can make over the winter

MTudor
MTudor

djos wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 12:40
MTudor wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 12:36
Tomsky wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 11:36

Oh the same old crap!!!
I'm tired seeing this kind of articles!!!
It’s only been an issue since Lando joined the team, no big deal right? Right?

I don't know what are u trying to say,but my "beef" is with the so called journalists not with Lando or Oscar!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Stella said that in Lando's case the tyres were more set up for race distance. We'll see the race pace tomorrow.

MTudor
MTudor

OMG the comments!!!
Why don't you grow up people,it's so exhausting to read all your whining after every little thing!!!
It's not like any of us are in touch with Mclaren pitwall to get an answer to some of the questions!!!

MTudor
MTudor

CaribouBread wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:36
Oscar is a lot more relaxed and casual this year! Lovely guy, would love to see his personality more as the year goes on.

Yeah,I like the new Oscar as well 😉😉😉

MTudor
MTudor

Emag wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:42
MCLvamos wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:21
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:13

What's disapointing? Red Bull were always going to get faster, everyone knew that. If anything it's all pretty similar.
-Outdeveloped by Aston, who were clueless with their development direction in the second half of last year (yes we may still be ahead on race pace but they have undeniably got closer)
-Ferrari a good chunk ahead when we were neck-for-neck at the end of last year
-Ferrari and Merc's issues in Bahrain masked our gap to them, I suspect this will be exposed tomorrow (although I hope I'm wrong)
-Forgetting about outright performance as well, key areas of focus since the new regs set (straight line speed, drivability) not being addressed

I trust in the team and Stella particularly, but I think the many false dawns over the past few years has made the pessimist I am today...
If Aston can't beat any of the top 4 teams in race-pace, then their qualifying advantage is useless. They fell off the cliff at Bahrain to the point where they were no threat at all for position. If that turns out to be the case tomorrow as well, then you can hardly call that "outdevelopment".

And as for Ferrari, they had pretty clear significant problems with correlation and car development last year. Their 2023 car was sometimes slower than their 2022 car ...
It is to be expected that they make a big jump, because arguably, they had the most to gain out of the top teams just by fixing clear issues with their car (low hanging fruit).

Mercedes has gone for an almost complete redesign of their car, and yet they are barely quicker than McLaren which has come out of winter with a car that looks largely similar to the MCL60 that closed off 2023 at Abu Dhabi.

And RedBull had the whole of 2023 to develop their 2024 car ...

I know perhaps the expectation was to be right on the tail of the leading car, fueled perhaps by the team's clear ambitions for race wins this season before the start of the season. But the situation is not as dire as it looks, and there are reasons for the current gaps to the teams ahead.

Now it's up to the team to stick to their ambitions/goals and deliver on track.

Finally a sane person 👏👏👏

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MTudor wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 23:50
OMG the comments!!!
Why don't you grow up people,it's so exhausting to read all your whining after every little thing!!!
It's not like any of us are in touch with Mclaren pitwall to get an answer to some of the questions!!!
I don't know who exactly your reference was to, but if it was to me, here's the source.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... ng-report/

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think we need to trust the team. They said that they are still seeing good gains in development so we can expect that the development during the season will be good. Team is very optimistic and I feel that they expect for the upgrades to propel them forward.

Still these results are very good, having a car that easily slides into Q3 and then can fight for top 5 is a great result - something that McLaren did not have for a long time with exception of late last year.

djos

MTudor wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 23:34
djos wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 12:40
MTudor wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 12:36

Oh the same old crap!!!
I'm tired seeing this kind of articles!!!
It’s only been an issue since Lando joined the team, no big deal right? Right?

I don't know what are u trying to say,but my "beef" is with the so called journalists not with Lando or Oscar!
They only bring it up because Lando complains about the issues.
"In downforce we trust"