2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Dafnalina wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:44
FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:30
About the jump start, I am not sure how F1 TV announcers didn't remember that Vettel had the same type of jump start where he moved and stopped, and havent triggered the system.

About the race, Piastri probably had a chance for P3 if he got ahead of Leclerc in the pits, I am surprised we didn't overtake him as Ferrari had a 5 second pitstop, maybe they need to look at the gaps before?

About Lando, I thought they may have kept him out so he can serve his penalty during pitstop. In the end it was unfortunate but any kind of safety car could have brought things into play for him.

In any case, good solid start of the season. Good race by both guys.
Lewis did the same in Brazil 5 races ago iirc :D precedent saved him, but he didn't really gain antyhing by it anyways.
Yeah, obviously system checks if a car is moving at race start and whether it moved over a certain distance.

It does seem confusing but from my understanding it is an automatic system.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 23:07
It looks like the distance from last year. We were 8 tenths in Bahrain but with a worse car, 6 tenths here from Red Bull and if things go as intended it should be 4 tenths from Red Bull in Australia and on par with Ferrari.
You're making the assumption that the gap is dwindling at a stable arithmetic progression rate, which would be nice, because that would mean we end the season 4s per lap faster than the next fastest car :D

But unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
The gap at Bahrain was a bit bigger than we would have liked, because the track punishes you hard if your car can't deal with degradation as well as the competition (particularly rears, if rears fall off in Bahrain, you lose a lot of laptime at T1-2, T8, T10 and T13-T14, which is half the track).

At Jeddah, I think it we have a fairer picture on the "real" gap, but also here cars which have worse aerodynamic efficiency will suffer. McLaren was losing a lot of laptime in S3 in particular, which is mostly straights, but also S2 was suffering a lot on the "bendy straights".

I believe we will see a similar story in Australia. Since the 2022 reprofiling, the track has longer straights, and that hurts the current iteration of this car.

Darth-Piekus

I think we shal be even better in Australia like last year compared to Jeddah.

MTudor
MTudor

LionsHeart wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:47
MTudor wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 23:50
OMG the comments!!!
Why don't you grow up people,it's so exhausting to read all your whining after every little thing!!!
It's not like any of us are in touch with Mclaren pitwall to get an answer to some of the questions!!!
I don't know who exactly your reference was to, but if it was to me, here's the source.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... ng-report/

It was a general comment not to one person specifically.

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 01:18
I think we shal be even better in Australia like last year compared to Jeddah.
The fast flowing corners should really sit McLaren.
"In downforce we trust"

Swed3121
Swed3121

Emag wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 23:40
Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 23:07
It looks like the distance from last year. We were 8 tenths in Bahrain but with a worse car, 6 tenths here from Red Bull and if things go as intended it should be 4 tenths from Red Bull in Australia and on par with Ferrari.
You're making the assumption that the gap is dwindling at a stable arithmetic progression rate, which would be nice, because that would mean we end the season 4s per lap faster than the next fastest car :D

But unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
The gap at Bahrain was a bit bigger than we would have liked, because the track punishes you hard if your car can't deal with degradation as well as the competition (particularly rears, if rears fall off in Bahrain, you lose a lot of laptime at T1-2, T8, T10 and T13-T14, which is half the track).

At Jeddah, I think it we have a fairer picture on the "real" gap, but also here cars which have worse aerodynamic efficiency will suffer. McLaren was losing a lot of laptime in S3 in particular, which is mostly straights, but also S2 was suffering a lot on the "bendy straights".

I believe we will see a similar story in Australia. Since the 2022 reprofiling, the track has longer straights, and that hurts the current iteration of this car.
I don’t think they are talking Abo it arithmetic Progression but basing it of how much time we gained relative to the front last year due to track characteristics

De Wet

Szabi1112 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 17:38
CjC wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 16:58
Dafnalina wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 16:47
That’s interesting
Yes. If its true we can fix this easily

How ?

Emag
Emag

De Wet wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 02:16
Szabi1112 wrote:
CjC wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 16:58

That’s interesting

How ?
This did not seem to be the case at all.

Lando was losing ~0.2-0.3s to Lewis on the straights even when none of them had DRS.

fasterthanks
fasterthanks

Emag wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 03:07
De Wet wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 02:16
Szabi1112 wrote:

How ?
This did not seem to be the case at all.

Lando was losing ~0.2-0.3s to Lewis on the straights even when none of them had DRS.
I actually came to ask about this exact topic- I keep seeing people talking about McLaren having inefficient DRS that is costing them time… hoping someone can please explain what’s going on here??

(And I realize there are actually two topics here- straight line speed deficit, because Lando barely had DRS, if at all, during the entire race, and DRS efficiency)

haza
haza

The car in the highspeed corners is an absolute monster look at the delta Norris gains over Lewis in the highspeed .2 after turn 1 increases to 1.2 over a few corners

https://x.com/mercedesnewsuk/status/176 ... CA5OmEDv0w

_cerber1

haza wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 08:57
The car in the highspeed corners is an absolute monster look at the delta Norris gains over Lewis in the highspeed .2 after turn 1 increases to 1.2 over a few corners

From Hamilton's on-board camera, it's even more impressive. For some reason, I can’t find it in the cropped recording, if anyone is interested, this is the 39th lap of the race.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 23:30
Dafnalina wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:44
FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 22:30
About the jump start, I am not sure how F1 TV announcers didn't remember that Vettel had the same type of jump start where he moved and stopped, and havent triggered the system.

About the race, Piastri probably had a chance for P3 if he got ahead of Leclerc in the pits, I am surprised we didn't overtake him as Ferrari had a 5 second pitstop, maybe they need to look at the gaps before?

About Lando, I thought they may have kept him out so he can serve his penalty during pitstop. In the end it was unfortunate but any kind of safety car could have brought things into play for him.

In any case, good solid start of the season. Good race by both guys.
Lewis did the same in Brazil 5 races ago iirc :D precedent saved him, but he didn't really gain antyhing by it anyways.
Yeah, obviously system checks if a car is moving at race start and whether it moved over a certain distance.

It does seem confusing but from my understanding it is an automatic system.
I just had a read about it, I think it should have been a false start as he was out of his box. But the rules specify that for a false start to be penalised it can only be done when the automatic sensor flags the false start up. Apparently this has failed to flag a false start a few times before, as many have pointed out.

I'll take that bit of luck.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/explained ... udi-arabia
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

I must admit, I was surprised it would be this difficult to fix!

https://apple.news/AMRL2fVl_QpiX2Ju0d1skfA
Andrea Stella says McLaren are still working to resolve the MCL38’s balance issues.

And it’s a problem that may not be resolved before 2025, “at least”.

He does, however, concede the MCL38 still has the same “balance and limitations” as its predecessor.
"In downforce we trust"

K1Plus
K1Plus

djos wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 11:12
I must admit, I was surprised it would be this difficult to fix!

https://apple.news/AMRL2fVl_QpiX2Ju0d1skfA
Andrea Stella says McLaren are still working to resolve the MCL38’s balance issues.

And it’s a problem that may not be resolved before 2025, “at least”.

He does, however, concede the MCL38 still has the same “balance and limitations” as its predecessor.
I mean they are still somewhat using the old tunnel to correlate the new one. I think 2024 was always gonna be a period of adaptation to the new facility, plus the new simulation tools they have.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 09:52
haza wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 08:57

From Hamilton's on-board camera, it's even more impressive. For some reason, I can’t find it in the cropped recording, if anyone is interested, this is the 39th lap of the race.
Yes I saw this and wondered where they'd got the rocket engine from, Lando just raced away in the high speeds and dropped Hamilton like a lead weight, it's quite an impressive trait of the car. Piastri was also able to follow close to Hamilton through the corners for long periods.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit